It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Presidential Debate Commission Sued by Gary Johnson

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Good for the cause of Liberty! I know it's a long shot but I hope it points out the flawed system.

I have long had a problem that third party candidates don't get in on the debates without a certain percentage of voter approval. As they have smaller campaign resources, it's possibly the only time or chance they have to take their message to the world stage. I think at least one of the upcoming 3 debates should have ALL the parties. Libertarian, Constitution, Green, Justice, etc...etc...etc.

It's the only "fair" way to do it. There are so many brain dead people out there that do not know about the other parties and have no clue what they stand for. I think it's time to go with multiple parties in Congress myself...not just the two-party paradigm that everyone thinks of.

Sure we have a few elected officials of Independent or third party but they are few and far between in comparison.

I would love to see the debates be wide open and longer in time and scale...every candidate (especially Presidential candidate) deserves the right to be heard by the people. Excluding them...in my humble opinion...borders on cheating and rigging...what do the two parties have to fear?...Oh...that people might wake up....yeah.
edit on 10/2/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
GOOD FOR HIM. I vote absentee now and so I was able to vote for him last week.
I know he can't win .. but it was my protest vote against the stranglehold that the Dems and
Republicans have on the USA .. and my protest vote against Obama and Romney both.

That is an idiotic vote, you may as well have voted for Obama because that is who will benefit from it.
Thanks benedict.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by antonia

Dear antonia,

Perhaps I misunderstood you (or Johnson's suit). Let me try a different approach.

It won't work.

Who's the bad guy here? It must be the Commission, right? That's who everybody is talking about, and that's who Johnson is suing. Well, what are they doing wrong? Not inviting Johnson? Ok, assume they invite Johnson. As has been pointed out, the candidates have to agree to the rules of the debates or there are no debates.

The Commission doesn't write the rules. You need to do some real research about how this commission came to be. The Candidates write the rules, not the commission. They write these rules specifically. to exclude others and make sure the "debates" are as sanitized as possible. To call them debates is laughable as they don't actually debate.

The candidates have agreed that there will be no third party candidates. So, what's the commission supposed to do?

Whatever the candidates tell them too.

They invite Johnson, Obama and Romney don't show, and the networks say "we're not giving two hours of national air time to this guy." Leaving Johnson speaking to an empty house, and Romney and Obama setting up their debates through some other organization.

There is no other organization. You seem to not understand why the Commission was created and if you don't know the history of it then you really aren't going to understand any of this. The debates used to be run by the League of Women Voters, they pulled out and refused to sponsor debates in 1984 when both Reagan and his opponent made demands the LWV found completely unreasonable (such as not allowing third party candidates). The League then accused them of attempting to usurp the democratic process. In response the Democratic and Republican party chairman created the commission and have used it since to control the debates. This is where the modern debate environment got it's start. It has only allowed one third party candidate, Ross Perot in 1992 as the Republicans believed he would take votes from Bill Clinton. The Commission was created by the two major parties and serves their interests, it is therefore a cartel. That's what the suit alleges.

edit on 2-10-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart

I know he can't win .. but it was my protest vote against the stranglehold that the Dems and
Republicans have on the USA .. and my protest vote against Obama and Romney both.

That is an idiotic vote, you may as well have voted for Obama because that is who will benefit from it.
Thanks benedict.

I just sent my absentee ballot off with a vote for Johnson/Gray. Consider mine one less vote for Obama. I would not vote for either one but would be even less inclined to vote for Romney. The GOP can't be serious that Mitt is the best they have to offer.

edit on 2-10-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Dear antonia,

Thank you, I'm glad you see my point. I'm glad this is resolved.

The Commission doesn't write the rules. . . . The Candidates write the rules, not the commission. They write these rules specifically. to exclude others and make sure the "debates" are as sanitized as possible.

That's exactly right, and it was my point. The Commission isn't controlling it, the candidates are. So if the candidates are the ones responsible, sue the candidates. As you say, the commission is supposed to do whatever the candidates tell them to.

You point out, correctly, that the Commission was created. There is nothing in the world to prevent say, the Girl Scouts from creating a new "Commission" and setting up their own debates. And if anyone is free to start up their own debates, how is there a restraint of trade?

There doesn't even have to be a Commission. The two candidates could have staffers work out their own rules, call the press, and split the cost of renting a hall. Voila! Debates without third party candidates and no one to sue.

But anyway, thanks for seeing my opinion that it is a mistake to sue the Commission.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

But anyway, thanks for seeing my opinion that it is a mistake to sue the Commission.

That's not what I said, but yeah I just remembered why I generally don't speak to you. The Commission sets up the debates, therefore you sue them not the candidates. You are right the commission is generally pointless as the candidates could do it themselves, however this generally wouldn't look good to the public.
edit on 2-10-2012 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

reply to post by Thunderheart

Seriously??? Do you actually believe what you wrote?

Each citizen should vote for the person they believe most capable to be president. TPTB want us to believe that it is a two-team football game, and any votes outside of those two teams is a "wasted" vote, which is a false paradigm.

There is no such thing as an idiotic vote, only idiotic voters.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

my vote will be for the Libertarian Team also...

in the meanwhile i will promote the LP & Johnson with yard signs on my Country Club subdivision property that is rife with Repug's & Democ's neighbors

here's a copy of my email:

[email protected]

Sep 28 (4 days ago)

to me
Victor,

I will send the sign as soon as I have the opportunity to do so.

Also, Judge Gray will be in Charleston on 10/20 to deliver a speech on board the USS Yorktown. The event will likely start at 6:30 and is free to the public. Stay tuned for the details, but try to attend if you can make it.

Thanks for the email.

Andrew

Andrew Payne
SC State Director
Gary Johnson for President 2012

edit on 2-10-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

Seriously??? Do you actually believe what you wrote?

Each citizen should vote for the person they believe most capable to be president. TPTB want us to believe that it is a two-team football game, and any votes outside of those two teams is a "wasted" vote, which is a false paradigm.

There is no such thing as an idiotic vote, only idiotic voters.

Very well said! I am not voting two party either. I am a Libertarian and I will vote for what I believe is right. The "wasted vote" or "vote goes to this guy or that guy" is just a strong arm technique to try to get people to vote the way the "mob" wants.

It's when we break free from this programing that we might turn this ship around.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by antonia

Dear antonia,

Thank you, I'm glad you see my point. I'm glad this is resolved.

The Commission doesn't write the rules. . . . The Candidates write the rules, not the commission. They write these rules specifically. to exclude others and make sure the "debates" are as sanitized as possible.

That's exactly right, and it was my point. The Commission isn't controlling it, the candidates are. So if the candidates are the ones responsible, sue the candidates. As you say, the commission is supposed to do whatever the candidates tell them to.

You point out, correctly, that the Commission was created. There is nothing in the world to prevent say, the Girl Scouts from creating a new "Commission" and setting up their own debates. And if anyone is free to start up their own debates, how is there a restraint of trade?

There doesn't even have to be a Commission. The two candidates could have staffers work out their own rules, call the press, and split the cost of renting a hall. Voila! Debates without third party candidates and no one to sue.

With respect,
Charles1952

incorrect... for example a bunch of 'private clubs' did not allow Black Membership , all within my lifetime...

the correct thing was to sue the Club to change the rules for intregation... not the members of the club that discriminatede against Blacks & that attitude was manifested by the Clubs' Board-of-Directors or whomever was in charge.

sue the commission that provides the debates,,,while excluding viable, slated in all 50 States candidates like Gov Gary Johnson running against the 2 Party hegemony

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I'm also voting for Johnson/Gray but if it was a choice of the two corporate/CIA puppets, I would vote for Obama, because I consider him only 75% puppet, compared to Romney who would be 100% puppet.

And Romney has brain damage from that near-fatal accident he was in when he was in France avoiding the draft and the war he believed in.

So the contention that 'a vote for Johnson is a vote for Obama' is in error. I wouldn't vote for Romney if he was the last billionaire on Earth, and I'm already sick of his stuttering, chuckling Ken Doll face and his Wicked Witch Wife.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

You can put up all the cutesie cartoons you want, doesn't change the fact that the libertarian ticket died when Rand stabbed his daddy in the back.
Now the only thing we can hope for is to get rid of Obama, all Gary Johnson is doing is stealing GOP votes and helping Obama, I wouldn't be surprised if its a covert black op from the Dems to make sure Romney loses.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire
I'm also voting for Johnson/Gray but if it was a choice of the two corporate/CIA puppets, I would vote for Obama, because I consider him only 75% puppet, compared to Romney who would be 100% puppet.

And Romney has brain damage from that near-fatal accident he was in when he was in France avoiding the draft and the war he believed in.

So the contention that 'a vote for Johnson is a vote for Obama' is in error. I wouldn't vote for Romney if he was the last billionaire on Earth, and I'm already sick of his stuttering, chuckling Ken Doll face and his Wicked Witch Wife.
Ah, an Obama supporter, howyoudoin?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

A vote for Gary Johnson/Jim Gray is a vote for Freedom and Liberty and the return to the Governing Principles of the Bill of Right's and the Constitution. It is NOT a vote for Robo-Romney or Obummer. You have this false idea that people were going to vote "either/or" for the two parties...that is NOT what is happening this year. If we get "real and factual" election results, I think some people are going to be extremely spooked with how well third parties are going to do this year.

It is my vote and my voice...and I will not support the two party turds....never again.

The two party system is going to change, rapidly...the paradigm will shift...The Repubs will prob go first because they are not true conservatives anymore......The Dem's will go next. I'd say within 12 years, we will have "new" parties leading this country...I hope so anyway.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Thanks benedict.

Someone protests the status quo and you call them a traitor.

More true patriots like FF should stand up for their rejection of the two party system that has rejected the American people in favor of the Fascist corporate elite and war mongers.

Viva Gary Johnson, hombre de los gentes!!
edit on 2-10-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Wrong....Ron Paul was running as a Republican with Libertarian ideals...he was NOT a true blood Libertarian...he is pro-life....true Libertarians do not care what other human beings do with their bodies...it is not OUR body to be concerned with. Ron Paul had some Social Conservative points that a true Libertarian does not.

As a Libertarian...I do not care what you do with your body. I do not care what you do in the privacy of your own home. I do not care what you do to earn a living. I do not care who you marry...hell you can marry your mailbox for all I care...it is none of my business...like all the rest of those things.

Do you really even know what Libertarians stand for? Or are you just steam rolling for lack of something better to do? My signature line has the Libertarian platform website...at least allow yourself the edification of gathering some info before you continue to say silly things.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TheReligiousHoax

Go go gadget Gary Johnson.

Once the RNC officially showed its true face (ass) to the world in its handling of the Ron Paul delegation, I was more than happy to donate to the GJ campaign.
edit on 2-10-2012 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheReligiousHoax

WOW...Piers Morgan looks even worse than in the Ahmadinejad interview

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Maybe I should say this in spanish so you may understand, el voto a gary johnson es voto por obama...capiche??
Every Gary Johnson vote benefits Obama so don't be stupid.

Stupid?? Who? Bigoted? OK, obvious.

Do you have some inside information about rigged voting perhaps? My vote for Johnson/Gray is a vote for Obama?? No, my vote for Johnson/Gray is a vote for liberty, self-ownership, and a hope to restore America to its former glory. It is a vote for Johnson/Gray. ¿Comprendes?

As long as my vote does not benefit Romney in any way I can be somewhat pleased with that. After the way the GOP treated Ron Paul this year they should be glad we cannot vote to take votes away from them. If you are suggesting I should straight-out vote for Obama, forget it, I will not do that. Romney? Never.

edit on 2-10-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join