It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello, I am against fire arms.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Older article but makes some good points.

A study found American burglars fear armed home-owners more than the police. As a result burglaries are much rarer and only 13% occur when people are at home, in contrast to 53% in England. Gun shop Concealed weapon can be carried in 33 states Much is made of the higher American rate for murder. That is true and has been for some time. But as the Office of Health Economics in London found, not weapons availability, but "particular cultural factors" are to blame. A study comparing New York and London over 200 years found the New York homicide rate consistently five times the London rate, although for most of that period residents of both cities had unrestricted access to firearms. When guns were available in England they were seldom used in crime. A government study for 1890-1892 found an average of one handgun homicide a year in a population of 30 million. But murder rates for both countries are now changing. In 1981 the American rate was 8.7 times the English rate, in 1995 it was 5.7 times the English rate, and by last year it was 3.5 times. With American rates described as "in startling free-fall" and British rates as of October 2002 the highest for 100 years the two are on a path to converge.

BBC News

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Actually, Suicide killed more people last year than anything else.

thechart.blogs.cnn.com...

Still they show a handgun on the opening page

ETA, just heard the coroner on the police scanner had pronounced a 15 year old male 10-13 (suicide) this morning.
edit on 30-9-2012 by NightFlight because: more info obtained

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hi Adam

Down and dirty... here it is...the Government has just completed a massive purchase of ammo. do you honestly think that was done for a noble purpose? , yep I should be able to buy anything that will prevent the Government from tyrannizing me. btw I protect myself my family and my companions at all times. CCW is a wonderful thing.

An armed society is a polite society.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by westlynx
And lastly, not EVERYONE can get a gun. In fact, it takes skill and money to get a LICENCE to carry one.

That's not strictly true. You can obtain a gun legally if a friend or someone else from your area is willing to sell one to you. In many states, there is no background check for this, and no license or registration required to own one - depending on the type of gun. I own a SportKing 22 long caliber 6 inch rifled barrel semi automatic pistol. It's like holding a small powerful rifle in your hands that shoots as fast as you can pull the trigger. With it's 12 shot magazine it's very deadly. This was given to me. In my state, I can legally carry this openly in public with no permit, license or registration. No government agency ever has to know i even own this gun.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

Hi Adam, welcome to ATS!
I'm sure most of us would love to be living in a world where there is no violence, or even the tiniest threat of violence. I can't think of any city that doesn't have certain areas that are unsafe or downright dangerous to walk through at night without personal protection, and for me that would be a handgun. You might find it hard to believe, but there thugs out there who would shoot you for a pack of smokes, or even for not having that pack of smokes. Some folk would say well just stay away from those areas, but why should I allow my life to be under the control of some punk or in most cases a gang of punks, telling me where I can or cannot go in my own city?
The only way to take back our streets is by arming ourselves. Someone will think twice about robbing you if they think you just might be armed yourself. No doubt many folk will say I'm just as bad as the armed thugs, but I do have a right to protect myself and my family! Hell, we don't even have to wander into the "wrong part" of any city to be putting our lives at risk.
Be careful what you wish for... When politicians start calling out for citizens to turn in their guns in order to make life safer for everyone, don't believe a word they say! Disarming the public makes is a damn sight easier to round us up, then ship us off to the internment camps that seem to be popping up across the country, under the guise of F.E.M.A.!

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
As a person who owns several firearms and carries them daily, i will admit that i wish it didn't have to be this way. Some people own guns because they think it's cool, or fun, and some own them because they're a necessity. If we lived in a perfect world, where everyone learned respect and decency as they grew up, we wouldn't need this necessary evil. When a gun is involved, it's because someone didn't make the right choice. A shooter carrying out an attack on citizens, is a tragedy and a wrongdoing on his part. An armed citizen shooting a robber or rapist to end a threat, is a wrongdoing by the assailant. As an individual who would shoot another person to protect myself or another citizen, as justified as it is, i still would feel an overwhelming sense of pain for that person, their family and their friends. If only something would have changed in their life, to direct them away from their evil doing, that's one more life that could have been saved, possibly two given the situation. When all other options for peace are exhausted, sometimes you have to make the most painful choices.

I guess my point is, we need to understand why people are violent, instead of controlling the guns themselves. Not solving the problem from the root cause allows it to progress to different means.
edit on 9/30/2012 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

Quite right... Fire arms are dangerous things.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
Citizens withOUT guns Are nothing more than targets for .... anyone else with a gun.

I reworded your post to reflect reality. Please do not take it as a insult. Its a very true statement.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

Awesome welcome aboard - don't buy any guns.

It’s that simple for you.

Other than that your right to not arm yourself doesn’t erase my right to bear them and I do every day.

Just some free advice - don't bring a knife to a gunfight or bet on a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

I I magine that is exactly the way in which the US government wants you to think,how much easier to oppress unarmed citizens after all,I'm sure that not many people actually do like firearms,however,so long as there are those who would try to deny you your basic freedoms,they are very neccessary.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

You don't have everyone running about Britian with a gun because you all don't have that "right". We do. So enough allready with crime stats and such. America has the 2nd Amendment, Why is it allways the folks from the countries that forbids it's citizens from owning fireamrms that protest the most about Americans owning firearms.? Jealous maybe? Sparky, I own more than you could carry, and I'll give you three trips in & out and you still want walk out with them all. Why? Because I like my damn guns, & I like the fact I have a right to own them. And I want apologise to a damn soul for it.
edit on 30-9-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Originally posted by AdamLaw
being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people

It's all right there.
The security of a FREE STATE.
Not the federal government, not world opinion, not activistic dogma from self abasing control freaks who haven't the intestinal fortitude to depend on themselves and want government to level the playing field. A FREE STATE. That means free citizens.

The right OF THE PEOPLE.

Not the right of the Fed, FBI,CIA,DEA,Army,Navy Air Force Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard, Police, Marshals, Local or county Sherrif, Barney Freakin Fife or an entire legion of yellow gutted activists in the name of fairness, morality or simple minded cowardice.

The right of the PEOPLE ...SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

We already have the right. It was ours before the first dot of ever ink went onto the bill of rights.

We never had it granted to us. It is ours by birth as humans to hold the tools to defend and provide for ourselves.

The amendment is simply intended to remind idiots, fools and would-be-tyrants that subduing a population before murdering a fair percentage of them will not happen.

Sound nutty? Read a bit of humanity's recent history. The first thing tyrants and terrorists do is to remove all guns from the hands of the citizens. Hitler, Mao, Stalin, Kim il Sun, Pol Pot and a herd of others. They took away the guns in the name of security and then proceeded to kill millions. You think that humans have changed since then? Think again.

Aaaannnddd....welcome to ATS
edit on 29-9-2012 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

I was going to type up my own post but saw that you had copied mine before I wrote it somehow?
Only thing I would add is to say to the OP....very well done first post. I completely disagree with it,
but nicely done.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

Im being redundant>>>

If 911 would have been a bigger plan...it would have taken all the gun owners to save our country....
The truth is that America has been helping to paint that bullseye for a long time now.
Right now America is armed on the ground, take that away & it wont be the thug with a gun youll have to worry about..

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

Welcome to ATS and BOY! What a subject to start with! LOL! I am Trained in many forms of Firearms and everything that needs to be cleaned, stored, how they can quickly be field stripped...how to shoot and hit what you are aiming at....Hell!....I even know how to compensate for the Coriolis effect.

One thing I am CERTAIN OF....CRIMINALS DO NOT USE WEAPONS THAT ARE LEGAL! They are usually untraceable and to take away a U.S. Citizens RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS WILL START THE SECOND AMERICAN REVOLUTION!

Now I am a peace loving Law abiding Citizen and EVERY STUDY EVER DONE HAS SHOWN THAT COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE A LARGE MAJORITY OF LEGAL GUN OWNERSHIP HAVE MUCH LOWER CRIME RATES THAN COMMUNITIES THAT DO NOT! This is a FACT...CHECK IT!

In my Home Town at the age of 11...our Police Station had and STILL HAS a GUN SAFETY COURSE. Fathers and Mothers would come to the station on a Tuesday at 7pm and Bring their KIDS who were at least 11 years old. They did this for three days over three weeks. The Officers would go through Gun Safety and show both Parents and KIDS everything there was to know about various Firearms...Handguns both Revolver and Automatic...Rifles of different types...Bolt Action, Semi-Automatic, 22's 30-06, 308, Scopes, Safety's, Shot Guns, Pump Action, Double Barrel, 12,16,20 Gage, 410's, Pellet Guns, BB Guns, AR-15's, AK-47's, How to TREAT A WEAPON AS IF IT IS ALWAYS LOADED WHETHER IT IS OR NOT! What to do if you find one...then on the Third Week...we all went to the Local Fish and Game and SHOT THE VARIOUS WEAPONS!

We were taught how to shoot...what you should do if a weapon jams...what to do about a misfire...etc...
There has NEVER BEEN A LETHAL GUN ACCIDENT IN MY TOWN EITHER ADULT OR CHILD SINCE THEY STARTED THIS PROGRAM! A KID that understands a WEAPON and has been trained how to hold, treat, clean, disassemble, unload, load, check to see if it is loaded, understand where the safety is on different weapons, by having shot the weapon at the range...understand how to hold it as many DEATHS HAPPEN BECAUSE SOME KID IS HOLDING A WEAPON WRONG AND THE KICK MOVES THEIR ARM AND THEY ACCIDENTALLY FIRE AGAIN AND KILL THEIR FRIEND!

A CHILD who will become a Man or Woman and is Trained and Obtains RESPECT, RESPONSIBILITY, CONFIDENCE, KNOWLEDGE OF HOW DEADLY A WEAPON CAN BE AND ABOVE ALL ELSE...A BOND WITH THE PEOPLE...POLICE, PARENTS, FISH AND GAME RANGE MASTER, GUN SMITH AND ALL THEIR FELLOW CITIZENS WHO TOOK PART...and in my Town...EVERYONE TOOK PART....BUILDS CHARACTER AND A SENSE OF COMMUNITY.

In my Home Town you can still leave your doors unlocked....Criminals from other Towns hear my Towns name and SHUDDER...we have no crime with the exception of the occasional Bar Fight...most of us HUNT...and the KIDS come too! So you can believe what you want about GUNS but I live in a HIGHLY ARMED COMMUNITY as even my Grandmothers used to shoot...and people care for one another and respect each other and IT IS WELL KNOWN IN OTHER HIGH CRIME TOWNS AND CITIES...DON'T MESS AROUND IN THAT TOWN!

Most people carry their handguns Concealed as that is what the Police want...and you better believe that our Town has no vandalism, no trash thrown on the street, no gangs....because from an EARLY AGE WE WERE ALL TAUGHT RESPECT...RESPECT FOR THE WEAPONS AND RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER!

GUNS have NEVER been an issue that create crime...PEOPLE ARE THE ISSUE! If they didn't have a gun the criminal would use a knife or a hammer or a club...People are the problem and what is worse is PEOPLE WHO DO NOT UNDERSTAND THAT THE BEST WAY TO PROTECT YOU CHILDREN AND YOUR FAMILY IS KNOWLEDGE AND RESPECT. Most KIDS that die from Gunshot wounds were never taught anything about Weapon safety. If they had been taught...they would still be alive! Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Fire arms are antique 20th Century relics.

Those South Koreans boys build big caliber air rifles with 3,000psi air tanks on the guns. 45 or 50 caliber and they'll shoot straight through a coconut or cinderblock. It's able to shoot semi-auto about 8 shots or so before you start losing energy as the air pressure drops.

They've started using plastic sabots to shoot smaller bullets out of those guns and they are getting more Feet Per Second out of those "air rifles" than a 9mm pistol round. Countries like New Zealand that stopped their people from having gunz are seeing their people make some really neat new tools.

Completely silent, more power than a 9mm handgun, will penetrate straight thru concrete block walls....multiple shot capable......

Fire arms are.......relics. Start building yourself a 21st century weapon.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

The day we lay down our weapons, or the day they seize our weapons, thats game over for "we the people"

Im not laying my gun down until every other man, and woman puts down their fire arms.

Plain and simple. This is the real world, not some plush fantasy world, you need to be able to protect you and yours, and throwing rocks isnt going to cut it.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by sparky31

no matter what anyone says uz aren,t going to grasp the fact that the law to bear arms is causing 80-90% of murders in ur country,no guns then less killing....its not rocket science

Really??!! You are correct in stating that "its not rocket science" - but then neither are grammar and punctuation, both of which you obviously fail to grasp.

I propose a simple experiment to prove or disprove your assertion that you are safer without a firearm. Simply post your exact physical address along with a list of valuables which you keep at home (be sure to include the statement that you are unarmed) and see how long it takes some of the local blokes to invade your home and rob you blind. If, as you seem to believe, the police are able and willing to protect you and your belongings then you should be completely safe. However I guarantee that when those three burly chaps kick down your door in the dead of night and begin beating you, you will fervently pray for a gun.

Remember, "when seconds count the police are only minutes away".
edit on 1-10-2012 by Tholidor because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

Hello, I am against fire arms. ,

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is your right in the constitution to express yourself in been against Fire arms, like is my right also in the constitution to like fire arms and have them

What we will do without that pesky long paper call the US constitution.

Have a nice day.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Originally posted by AdamLaw
being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people

It's all right there.
The security of a FREE STATE.
Not the federal government, not world opinion, not activistic dogma from self abasing control freaks who haven't the intestinal fortitude to depend on themselves and want government to level the playing field. A FREE STATE. That means free citizens.

The right OF THE PEOPLE.

Not the right of the Fed, FBI,CIA,DEA,Army,Navy Air Force Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard, Police, Marshals, Local or county Sherrif, Barney Freakin Fife or an entire legion of yellow gutted activists in the name of fairness, morality or simple minded cowardice.

The right of the PEOPLE ...SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

We already have the right. It was ours before the first dot of ever ink went onto the bill of rights.

We never had it granted to us. It is ours by birth as humans to hold the tools to defend and provide for ourselves.

The amendment is simply intended to remind idiots, fools and would-be-tyrants that subduing a population before murdering a fair percentage of them will not happen.

Sound nutty? Read a bit of humanity's recent history. The first thing tyrants and terrorists do is to remove all guns from the hands of the citizens. Hitler, Mao, Stalin, Kim il Sun, Pol Pot and a herd of others. They took away the guns in the name of security and then proceeded to kill millions. You think that humans have changed since then? Think again.

Aaaannnddd....welcome to ATS
edit on 29-9-2012 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)
Ummmm..............Thank you for schooling the nube.........I quoted your entire post because some people cant seem to wrap their minds around the concept..........."The right of the people, shall not be infringed".....means all of the regulations and infringments already enacted are unlawful and unconstitutional......period........end of story.......nuff said.

YouSir

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Ummmm.........Wow, can I come live there?.......Just kidding, (maybe) I like it here, I just dont care for all the registration and other regulatory crap here.....

YouSir

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join