It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you eat out, I need to talk to you!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I like your attitude. Last time we had a discussion like this the OP was lecturing us on what we needed to do to be good customers, including the required tip. You can guess where that conversation went. You sound like you are genuinely interested.

I will tip 25% for a good experience, especially if I feel I have inconvenienced the server. I have a few grandchildren. They are often do not have the best table manners and will spill, etc. I figure that gets you a better tip because, of course, you "tip down" to the other people on your team, right?

Anyway, attentive, but not hovering is my favorite server. One issue I have encountered I might just mention. Trying to get the attention of my server is sometimes a problem. I sometimes feel I need a loud horn plus red and blue blinking lights just to say, "Hey. Over here. LOOK at me. Eye contact!" to staff who studiously do NOT look in my direction. I'd much rather do a subtle signal and have you nod silently back to acknowledge me even if you can't get to me right away. I know you will as soon as you can.

I'll relate one other experience that was kind of fun. I live on the West Coast. I order my steaks medium rare. So I was near Chicago dining out at a steak house. I ordered medium rare. The waitress said, "Are you sure?" Well, of course I'm sure. Why wouldn't I be? She had typed me as not being from the Midwest. She explained that in Chicago I probably wanted to order "medium" instead of "medium rare" to get what I was used to. So as it turned out she saved me from what would have been a bad experience. Big tip for her. I have since discovered that in "fine" steak houses that cook their steaks at 1800-2000 degrees Farenheit they tend to use the same Midwest terminology.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

UGH I KNOW!!! I try to explain this to my boss, but she wants us to run right over!!!! I don't really listen to what she tells me to do though, but I see the other servers doing this and it's annoying as hell!! God let these people catch there breath before you start asking them what they want to drink!!!

Thanks A LOT

OH YEA I FORGOT......

45% holy crap!!! That's awesome!!! Thanks so much for being one of the very few!
edit on 24-9-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Also, my husband ALWAYS asks for tea without lemon. We ALWAYS get the lemon, therefore less tip.

SEE this is just the thing I was looking for!! The little things that you wouldn't think are that bothersom when they actually are!! Thanks, my lemon haters will never get another accidental lemon...you can bet on that!!!

AWESOME!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllynMy second step is to introduce myself and crack a joke. I want to feel the customer out and find out if they want to play around or not, I like to have fun with my customers, but, only if they want to. I decide at that moment what sort of customer they are and try to match my service to that.

I 100 BILLION PERCENT DISAGREE! Imagine if you waited an HOUR for a table, do you want your server to DELAY you from eating and drinking? Even if there's no wait, people are HUNGRY AND THIRSTY. DO NOT WASTE THEIR TIME and save the chit chat stuff *AFTER* the orders are put in and you are just waiting for the food. THAT WOULD BE THE MOST CONSIDERATE THING!!

Originally posted by daryllynMy other tips would be never walk into the kitchen empty handed, and always be thinking ahead and doing more than one thing at once.

I MOSTLY TOTAL DISAGREE with you. The reason is, let's say you want your check let's say this is Red Lobster or Applebee's that the computers are in the dining area. Would you want to wait for your server to buss a table or two making you be held HOSTAGE so you can't leave?

Sorry, but I disagree. If someone asks for something, you should get that *ONLY* since they are paying you and the dirty dishes aren't. Even if there is a wait for a table, those people are in a sense in line *AFTER* the people that asked for things. THE PEOPLE ASKED FOR SOMETHING FIRST SHOULD GET THEIR STUFF FIRST.

You should NEVER put OBJECTS ahead of a real live human being. That's INCONSIDERATE!

At a Chili's, our waitress asked if we wanted dessert, which we didn’t, but I ordered another margarita and we ordered refills. We had our dirty dishes on our table. She went to put our dirty dishes on the other table, which is what I would have done, but, instead of leaving them to go put in the order for the margarita and get our refills, NO, she actually starts stacking up these dirty plates on this large booth and busses the table. During that time she was stacking up dirty dishes and bussing the table, I wanted to go up to her to say “Can you please go get our drinks please”, but I was too scared to do that she would have felt like I was being rude when SHE was the one that was rude probably not realizing it(to me though, it’s common sense if you don’t like waiting, why would I). Anyway, so instead of making the customer first, she made that first. Do you think that was NICE OR CONSIDERATE to the customers waiting? There wasn't even a wait for a table even.

A good, caring, and considerate server would have gone to put in the order for the margarita, gone to get the refills, and then if the margarita wasn't ready yet, gone back to get those dirty dishes and the table bussed, then went to the kitchen to bring it, and then went to get the margaritas. We would have received our soft drinks faster and my margarita. It was HER FAULT that the margarita took longer since she didn't go put in the order when she had a chance to without any other customer's asking for anything else or any previously ordered items.

So sorry, I disagree with you that sometimes doing things all at once for more than one table makes the first people wait WAYYYY LONGER than they are supposed to since it is *THEIR* TURN.

edit on 24-9-2012 by Springs1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SeriousIndividual

Please never visit Las Vegas,

kthxbye.

Seriously, "I don't tip".

Brutal. And someday, to even the understanding of what it means to serve, I hope you HAVE to be a waiter at some point in your life, or your next life. So you may gain an understanding of what it really means to say what you said.

FWIW, OP, my suggestion is, if you can, to work on value choices. Money IS tight, but people will go places they can afford and hopefully still tip decently, especially if YOU are the one that brought them the awesome deal. I know you may not have much say in what food hits the menu but if you do, a value-run and some mild advertising (word of mouth would be the most powerful) could do it, and bring people in by the droves.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

Take the order quickly upon seating;
Serve the dish quickly;
Check back exactly once!
Put the check on the table.
Don't come back 16 times!

(Break up our conversation or ask me how everything is when I've got a mouthful of food. I'm simply there to eat; not form a personal relationship with the restaurant staff).

Thats' all I expect from a waitress ( er..."waitstaff") ( and there's your 20% tip)

edit on 24-9-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-9-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

HEHEHE Thanks Ace! Checking back too often seems to be taking first place in this thread...And I'm glad you guys keep mentioning it so it's reinforced in my mind.... I have noticed (w/ this recent very slow business lately) myself checking in w/ costumers a little too often, and that's not good, NEVER want to be annoying!!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

So you have NOTHING to say to *ANY* of my pet peeves? You are asking for them, so I am not sure why I didn't get a response about any of them, even one even from you since you are the OP?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Your place sounds like a place I'd like to eat.

For service, probably quick, attentive, friendly and knowledgeable are what gets the big tips from me. Me needed a refill on something and seeing you chatting at the station ignoring me is what gets little to no tip from me.

As for food - as long as it is good I don't really have too many pet peeves. My only two would be stuff that is overpriced for what it is and small portion sizes. I swear, nothing ticks me off more about a restaurant than charging me an entree price for an appetizer sized portion. Like if its 10bucks for 6 wings and the wings are small at that - I ain't coming back.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
No particular order:

If you work at a micro-brewery, you should know details about each beer you brew and serve.

If you work at a beer-centric restaurant, you should know if you have anything "special" on tap and not just Sam Adam's seasonal.

If my meal comes with a salad, it should be brought to me fairly quickly and it should never come just before the main course.

Be honest about portion sizes and quality, especially on appetizers. I never want to again pay $9.50 for 4 stuffed mushrooms (like Velvetta and breadcrumb stuffing). Disgusting and a horrible value. Waitress said it was huge and tasty.

If I order steak, ask if it was prepared correctly not long after I receive it. That actually goes with just about everything, but the preparation is especially important on steak.

HIGHEST PRIORITY >>> Don't ask me "Did we save any room for cheesecake?" If I say no, then I'm a glutinous pig with absolutely no room left for anything including a wafer thin mint.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Springs1

I think by your replies, not too many people would like to get in a conversation with you.

No offense. Well...maybe a speck.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbitIf my meal comes with a salad, it should be brought to me fairly quickly and it should never come just before the main course.

While I agree with you, if you order an appetizer as well, a lot of restaurants serve the side salad AFTER the appetizer for some reason. I feel the *SERVER* should *ASK* THE CUSTOMERS if they want their side salad BEFORE or AFTER the appetizer. This way, the customer can be happier if they want it fast they can have it before an appetizer rather than wayy after the appetizer.

I was told by a waiter that ran the food to me and my husband's table that *I* would have had to tell my server, I was like WHY? I feel side salads take less time to make than the appetizer and people are hungry, WHY would they want to wait longer for the side salad, especially because usually the side salad would come out within 5-10 mins. at most when we didn't order an appetizer. I didn't know they held it. I thought at the very least they would have served my side salad at the same time as my husband's appetizer(He wanted that, I wanted the side salad).

I don't feel it should be the customer's responsibility considering the fastest things should be served the fastest as far as what is before a meal because people are hungry and that's how I thought about it. I feel the *SERVER* should have asked me if I wanted the side salad first. I would have most likely finished the side salad before the appetizer. It was because of assumptions that ALL couples will always share appetizers. Assumptions suck.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Sorrry springs, i just finished answering posts from page two. ( i just happened to catch the short post asking why i didnt reply) I saw your post and it is long, and my daughter needs our after dinner walk. Im looking forward to reading and will reply later on tonight...

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
Sorrry springs, i just finished answering posts from page two. ( i just happened to catch the short post asking why i didnt reply) I saw your post and it is long, and my daughter needs our after dinner walk. Im looking forward to reading and will reply later on tonight...

Ok, SO SORRY! I just thought you didn't like my post and was ignoring it, Sorry, my bad. I just saw that you were replying to everybody else, so I thought you didn't like what I had to say is all. Sorry, go do what you need to do with your daughter. That's much more important. Whenever you have time, you can do it. I don't expect you to do all of them in one shot. Take your time, it's long. Thanks for any input and/or opinions you will give. I will appreciate it.

I also agree about I always ask not to get lemon with my iced tea when I order("I would like an unsweetened iced tea with no lemon) and it seems like the servers hear "LEMON", not the "NO" part. I don't mind so much when it's on the rim of the glass, but when it's IN my tea, I do mind. I like lemonade, but I just don't like lemon in my iced tea or water.

Servers really should be repeating orders and writing down ALL orders/requests.

I am getting a lot as well at times servers not getting if you asked for salt on your margarita, they bring it out without salt. Without drink you can see salt on a rim of a glass to check it by comparing your written order with the drink from the bar.

I had problems at a restaurant where the drink on the martini menu had the martini had a sugar rimmed glass, the servers would bring it out without it when I would order it as it came. I had to send them back and they didn't even say they were sorry thinking the bartender was at fault, NO, they were, because it was something you don't have to touch to notice is wrong. Most likely, if I were a server, I'd probably ASK if the sugar rim was OK just in case if the customer didn't read the menu, but I wouldn't serve it without what the menu had unless the customer said they didn't want it.

Another thing, pickles on the plate when I order no pickles. I don't get this one which has happened a BUNCH OF TIMES. You ask for ONLY(lettuce and onions for example) or actually say no pickles, they still put it on the plate, WHY? I think any SMART server would know if the person said no pickles, well that means none at all, not even for decoration. It makes my fries and bun have pickle juice. I don't like dill pickles, I really HATE them. I don't think I should always have to say "I don't want pickles on my plate even." I think that's retarded and unnecessary. If you say you don't want something, WHY should it be served to you on the plate at all? If you say you wanted pickles on the side, then THAT IS WHEN you should get them on the side.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
You wanna know my pet peeve? (takes deep breath....)

MORON'S RUNNING THE PLACE!!!!!!!!!!

This is not to imply all establishments have nothing but morons working there. However, I live in DC. Lot's of restaurants. Not all, but most must have a 'moron minimum' hiring requirement. Whatever I order, regardless of how simple, comes to the table wrong. I get another table's order. Or even at fast food places, it's almost like I have to hop over the counter to enter my order. The kid at the register can't see through 50 facial piercings and foot long bangs to hit the right buttons.

Plain old firing synapses in working order impress me at a restaurant.

That and stop the fake "glad to have you here" BS. You know, the manic

'HI MY NAME IS TIFFANY AND I'M A VIRGO AND I'LL BE YOUR SERVER AND WOULD YOU LIKE TO TRY OUR SPECIAL TONIGHT DILL ROASTED SCALLOPS IN A DEEP FRIED PUMPKIN AND MY ISN'T THAT A SHARP LOOKING SWEATER AND.......AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Yikes! Just say hello, your name, and ask if there is anything they can get for you. Perfect.
edit on 24-9-2012 by ABNARTY because: sp

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ABNARTY
You wanna know my pet peeve? (takes deep breath....)

MORON'S RUNNING THE PLACE!!!!!!!!!!

This is not to imply all establishments have nothing but morons working there. However, I live in DC. Lot's of restaurants. Not all, but most must have a 'moron minimum' hiring requirement. Whatever I order, regardless of how simple, comes to the table wrong. I get another table's order.

I would say most of the time it's probably not that they are that stupid, is that they are just simply TOO LAZY to do the job.

I had one waitress say to us "I don't know why the cook plated 2 set of beans" when *SHE* took our order and brought our food out and the item that my husband ordered(he ordered it as it came on the menu) came with rice and beans. This was at On the Border. Anyway, the point is, she was too LAZY to COMPARE THE MENU AND THE WRITTEN ORDER TO WHAT SHE WAS BRINGING OUT if she didn't know the menu.

I say honestly it's mostly about laziness. I feel the servers feel entitled that all they have to do is bring you STUFF(right or wrong) and they should get 15% at the lowest. It's mostly about laziness and being uncaring about if that were THEM.

I HATE when servers LIE to your face that the kitchen staff is at fault. 2 sets of beans when you can clearly see one of the side dishes is not rice, it's beans, DUHH, it's not rocket science. She left the kitchen with the wrong item. It turns out however, we were overcharged as well. What happened was I had ordered bbq sauce with my meal and she thought "BB" was BBQ, NOT BLACK BEANS. So not only did she ring up an extra side of black beans as to why my husband got that, but she also overcharged us and didn't correct the cook that the rice was missing from the item that it COMES WITH according to the menu BEFORE she brought our food to us.

From what she rung up, my husband was supposed to have an extra side of black beans he didn't order. That's how little she was checking the food. She did ring in the item correctly I am guessing being that she pressed BB for mine. So she didn't know her menu. Then, my chimichunga came out wrong(she may or probably put that in right), but when I had told her I had shredded beef when the item said ground beef(I ordered ground beef), she asked "Are you sure" and I had to *SHOW HER* ON THE MENU(which this was our FIRST TIME THERE EVEN) where on the menu it had *GROUND* BEEF. The ranch for the appetizer as usual was forgotten by the person that ran the food that *SHE* could have just brought out ahead of time and no apology of course. Her tip was 6%. She didn't apologize for her mistakes. I could have stiffed her, but I didn't. I did REPORT her to a manager though. He told me SINCE THEN she took some classes to get better at serving. I think these are common sense like apologizing comes from the heart and verifying the order BEFORE bringing it out for obvious errors. As far as her not knowing bbq sauce vs. black beans on the computer, that's a training issue that was lacking there.

I have the MOST problem with condiments, the VERY MOST with them being forgotten.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Springs1 ..you have no idea how some waiters or waitresses are pressed for time.

I have done this job, and often the kitchen wants those plates out now, because they have others that need to go up, and you get yelled at if you start looking at the bills and comparing what was on the bill to what is actually on the plate, not to mention the time it takes...all while some other customer is complaining that you aren't at their table refilling their coffee.

You complain about getting ketchup, because the server didn't ask you if you needed it, and the table next to you will complain when they don't automatically bring ketchup, and you shouldn't have to ask for it.

Yes, some servers may be lazy, and if they are standing around talking to their fellow employees instead of checking on you , then I can see reason for legit complaints. But geez, if the place if hopping busy, and you can see your server run off their feet trying to catch up bringing food out, it pays to have some patience. Blame that on under staffing at peek hours, because I know that most servers I have worked with, want nothing more than to make their customer satisfied.

Quite honestly you seem like the type of customer that is picky, requesting a myriad of changes to whatever you order , and will always find a reason to complain.

That being said there is common sense to taking orders, and bringing what people need such as cutlery, and a server who can't take the time to see that a customer has utensils is a pet peeve for the other servers who have to take the time to do their job, which takes away from the time they would prefer making the customers in their sections happy.

As far as the servers taking out plates that they did not take the order for,hence not knowing who ordered what, many restaurants just want that food out, and make it policy to whoever is in the kitchen to take the plates out when they are ready.

Some restaurants have much better systems, and it reflects in the service.

edit on 24-9-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SeriousIndividual

You know that some places factor in your tips with your wages? That way they can legally pay you under minimum wage.They round them out and then subtract those tips because ' our waiters NORMALLY get that much in tips."
So even if you don't get that amount,oh well too bad so sad for you.But you still worked just as hard.And it may seem so simple to you to go out and get another job. But I would say with the current job market as it is, thats just not reasonable right now. Sounds like a cheap persons excuse's.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWindsand the table next to you will complain when they don't automatically bring ketchup, and you shouldn't have to ask for it.

I didn't say they should ask for it. The *SERVER* SHOULD ASK "Would you like ketchup" WHEN YOU TAKE THE ORDER! Did I EVER say that a customer needed to order ketchup? Although, I want ranch, which I order t that, so if the customers want something, *THEY* SHOULD really be ordering it, but since they are jerks, the SERVER should be ASKING just like when a customer orders a steak, when you take the order, you ask "Would you like A-1 with that?" See how easy that is. It's ONE QUESTION!

Originally posted by WhisperingWindsSprings1 ..you have no idea how some waiters or waitresses are pressed for time.

I have done this job, and often the kitchen wants those plates out now, because they have others that need to go up, and you get yelled at if you start looking at the bills and comparing what was on the bill to what is actually on the plate, not to mention the time it takes...all while some other customer is complaining that you aren't at their table refilling their coffee.

While I understand, but your income mostly comes from the *MISTAKES* YOU MAKE as to what your TIP SCORE IS.

I wouldn't do it in the kitchen itself if it was ME that took the order then if I would get yelled at, I would take it out, put it down on a tray on a tray jack and verify it there *BEFORE* bringing it to the customer's table.

If that was really true, then WHY at a Chili's a waiter that we had for years(he quit, because he moved to another state) WON AN AWARD for my survey comments about him that I was impressed he compared my food to his written order, huh?

If your manager is like that, then I wouldn't work for someone uncaring. It doesn't matter if the food is out if it's wrong, does it?

Refills, you can be doing that while people are waiting for their food. At IHop they have the entire pot of coffee for customers at the table even.

Originally posted by WhisperingWindsYes, some servers may be lazy, and if they are standing around talking to their fellow employees instead of checking on you , then I can see reason for legit complaints. But geez, if the place if hopping busy, and you can see your server run off their feet trying to catch up bringing food out, it pays to have some patience. Blame that on under staffing at peek hours, because I know that most servers I have worked with, want nothing more than to make their customer satisfied.

I do take into account if it's busy. Some of these times are when it's not busy that we have had bad service.

Originally posted by WhisperingWindsand will always find a reason to complain.

HOW when I have been 100% SATISFIED LOTS OF TIMES? We have tipped 25%-30% and upwards at times. YOU ARE VERY WRONG!!

Originally posted by WhisperingWindsQuite honestly you seem like the type of customer that is picky, requesting a myriad of changes to whatever you order ,

It's our money, so why should we have to satisfy our servers with it, huh? It's our money, we should get the service the way *WE* want it. You sound LAZY to do all the work and UNCARING!

Originally posted by WhisperingWindsAs far as the servers taking out plates that they did not take the order for,hence not knowing who ordered what, many restaurants just want that food out, and make it policy to whoever is in the kitchen to take the plates out when they are ready.

YOU as the worker should be RESPONSIBLE for *WHAT* you have in your hands and quit being TOO LAZY TO COMPARE THE WRITTEN ORDER OR TICKET OR COMPUTER SCREEN.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds

Quite honestly you seem like the type of customer that is picky, requesting a myriad of changes to whatever you order , and will always find a reason to complain.

No kidding! I've never heard of so many different complaints from one person. This sounds like the Customer from Hell. It would make me glad to have a sign that said, "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuylerNo kidding! I've never heard of so many different complaints from one person. This sounds like the Customer from Hell. It would make me glad to have a sign that said, "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."

That's because you all would be *********TOO LAZY AND UNCARING********* TO SERVE ME and you KNOW THAT IS THE GOD'S TRUTH, just admit it!!

It's all about LAZINESS!! TOO LAZY TO DO THE AMOUNT OF *******WORK********* FOR THE MONEY!!

You sound MEAN!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join