It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rapper: Blacks 'cheered when 9-11 happened'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I believe in freedom of speech, but this absolutely goes beyond any right to free speech. How can anybody who has any respect for human life ever buy a cd by this rapper? I don't believe that any american of any color would have cheered when the WTC was attacked. This is disgusting1

" Osama bin Laden ever buys a rap album, he'll probably start with a CD by KRS-One.

The hip-hop anarchist has declared his solidarity with al-Qaida by asserting that he and other African-Americans "cheered when 9-11 happened," reports the New York Daily News.

The rapper, real name Kris Parker, defiled the memory of those who died in the terrorist attacks as he spouted off at a recent New Yorker Festival panel discussion.
"I say that proudly," the Boogie Down Productions founder went on, insisting that, before the attack, security guards kept Blacks out of the World Trade Center "because of the way we talk and dress.

"So when the planes hit the building, we were like, 'Mmmm - justice.' "

The atrocity of 9-11 "doesn't affect us the hip-hop community," he said. "9-11 happened to them, not us," he added, explaining that by "them" he meant "the rich ... those who are oppressing us. RCA or BMG, Universal, the radio stations."

Parker also sneered at efforts by other rappers to get young people to vote.

"Voting in a corrupt society adds more corruption," he added. "America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place."

www.azcentral.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Whats up with your topic name? Rapper: 'Blacks' cheered. In the rest of your post it addresses one man?

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Thanks for the info Mynaeris. Not that I am a fan of rap music, but I will be sure to NEVER buy anything from this idiot.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
he and other African-Americans "cheered when 9-11 happened," reports the New York Daily News.

thats what is up w/ the headline.

[edit on 15-10-2004 by moxyone]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Firstly, if you clicked on the link you would have seen that " Rapper: Blacks 'cheered when 9-11 happened' is the title of the article in the paper.

Secondly it is his contention that African- Americans (plural) cheered when it happened. Direct quote: "asserting that he and other African-Americans "cheered when 9-11 happened," reports the New York Daily News."

From Rolling Stone magazine : "KRS-One has ignited controversy with his comments as a panelist at The New Yorker Festival on October 2nd, claiming that he and other African-Americans "cheered when 9/11 happened . . . I say that proudly.""

PROUDLY????? tell it to the people who lost loved ones on 911, tell it to all americans.

www.rollingstone.com...

[edit on 15-10-2004 by Mynaeris]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I listen to rap...

I think the term "blacks" is a little too general... More like KRS Ones Black friends/homies/g's/peep's that felt this way. KRS One is know to be a loud mouth "punk ass" type that like to speak his mind. He also is know to spout out at the mouth as a form of marketing himself... I would take what hes saying as nothing more than a meaningless voice trying to be heard.
(He's a terrible rapper anyways, hes just mad that the rest of the world doesnt like him as much as he likes his voice.)

I know for one that Wu-Tang Clan spoke out against the attacking in their CD "Iron Flag" that was released after the attacks (Wu Tang Clan is from NYC too).

~[Ghostface Killah]
Who the f*** knocked our buildings down?
Who the man behind the World Trade massacres, step up now
Where the four planes at huh is you insane bi*ch?
Fly that # over my hood and get blown to bits!
No disrespect, that's where I rest my head
I understand you gotta rest yours true, nigga my people's dead
America, together we stand, divided we fall
Mr. Bush sit down, I'm in charge of the war!

So not all "black rappers" are like KRS One, and the ones that are supporting him are just groupies/followers... Nothing to be surpirsed or worried about IMO.... Just a publicity stunt.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I am sure that there were alot of diferent cultures that applauded the collapse of the WTC as a childish act or suggestion that the American goverment had it coming.

Remember it is just something that was done as a childish act or an act of stupidness just as one laughs when someone trips or falls even when not knowing if that someone is injured.

My guess is that KRS is looking to bolster sales among the haters of government.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I would take what hes saying as nothing more than a meaningless voice trying to be heard.

Yes, WE can take it that way. But do you have any idea how influential musicians can be to a teenager? Teenagers, ALL of them, are impressionable. They may choose who they will be impressioned by, but I can guarantee you that this rapper knows who is audience is and he knows that he can get through to them.

I do not believe in censorship, but this sort of thing appalls me. It's just disgusting that this rapper can say speak for 'black people' and there are children out there who just may believe that what he is saying is true.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
While I find what KRS One says to be completely uncalled for and ignorant, it still falls under free speech; after all its not just the freedom of popular speech, its the freeom of speech period. If today we said 'KRS, you no longer have freedom of speech' not only would he get a wild hair up his ass, but that would be setting a precedent for someoen to determine when the freedom of speech applies and when it doesnt and that precedent should never be set.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   

"I say that proudly," the Boogie Down Productions founder went on, insisting that, before the attack, security guards kept Blacks out of the World Trade Center "because of the way we talk and dress.

What a retarded comment from the rapper... I happen to know for a fact that many blacks worked in the building, as one of our clients used to be headquartered out there. Sadly, too many were lost that day and the company is no longer solvent.

I'm sure that security guards kept ANYBODY out who didn't have reason to be there, and like in most professional office buildings, there is a dress code for many of them...

I assume he's hoping that the controversy will sell more albums... Perhaps it will, but it will be a one shot deal, as he's pretty much destroyed his rep with this... If he gets any more vocal, I'd expect to see the NAACP to make a statement denouncing this idiot...

Mynaeris, Charlie rocked! (Geena Davis' character in your avatar...female action hero...shame she isn't going that route anymore).

[edit on 15-10-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This is exactly what the Bush administration wants regarding 9-11,

Societies anger, hate and despair diverted towards those who pose abosolutely no 9-11 significance what so ever.

Yet James Baker, a Bush appointed former Secretary of State and currently the envoy on Iraq's debt situation, Baker's very own lawfirm (Baker Botts) is defending the Saudi Royal family in a $1 trillion lawsuit filed by the families of September 11 victims.

You know the families of the real victims here, not just a rappers personal views that may offend you.

But yet again, it's the African American people who continue to be shameful and disgusting!.. pfffffffft! yea right..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ignorance is Bush bliss

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Just insane. There's always a song and a dance and tune for every evil deed out there. Title, however, is misleading as blacks and whites were equaly horrified at 911. Makes it sound that all blacks were dancing in the streets...crazy

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Everybody is making this out to be a political / free speech issue. Alas in all likelyhood its more of a publicity grab or an attempt at media manipulataion. How better to get your name in the media, we are talking about it etc. People may say "hey lets check out this A$$'s album". Recall Jerry Fallwell's assult on TInky Winkey the Teletubby. It got his name in the media too.

Edit: I agree with dgtempe (which does not happen often
) it does give the impression that there were huge celebrations in the streets. Everybody was horrified on 911.

[edit on 10/15/04 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Before I even read the thread, I automatically came to the conclusion that the "rapper" would be KRS-One. If you are not familiar with him, he has always been outspoken against "American society, cops, law, etc." If you didn't know he was also the front man for the group Public Enemy who most popular song was "Fight the Power".

While I disagree with his comments, it doesn't surprise me to hear it coming from him, he has strong militant ideas and has never wavered in expressing his opinion in his music.

The biggest problem I have with this story is the generalizations, KRS-One generalized by saying "Blacks applauded" and now other will generalize rappers and get the idea that all rappers feel this way.

[edit on 10-15-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
not for nothing, but the thread is "Rapper: Blacks Cheered" which means a Rapper is saying that blacks cheered. This is different from "Rapper, Blacks Cheered" Meaning a Rapper and blacks cheered. The Rapper in question said

"So when the planes hit the building, we were like, 'Mmmm - justice.' "

I am assuming that the larger context of the song would indicate that 'we' means 'blacks'.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   

he and other African-Americans "cheered when 9-11 happened," reports the New York Daily News

I can believe that perhaps he cheered. I can believe that some people here in America cheered.

But Blacks? As a group? Nah. I worked in a racially mixed environment and I can tell you we were all standing around in horror (irrespective of race, religion, and national origin (and we had muslims there, too).) There wasn't any cheering where I worked.

And I bet others can confirm this as well.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Where do I start?

Ok, First off, KRS Hasn't had a record in years, at least early to mid 90's( if he has it hasn't been "mainstream"). He is not talking for any other Rapper, maybe his boys. Maybe he is about to drop a hit, and he wants to get his name back out there. If he does have an album comming out, it will sell because of this. People will buy it just to hear it. The same reason Howard Stern WILL have the million subscribers he needs(before he gets there) to make his show work in 16 months.

Second, just because the Mainstream media quotes a person a Ignorant way, it doesn't mean we need to. We try to hold our selves to a higher standards than the mainstream media. We are better.

Third, I have more black friends, than I have white. Say what you want I dont care. Not one, not ones families.. No one I know that is black, was happy about 9/11.

I hope this is write so, everyone can understand it. If not, U2U me.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I hope KRS ONE can afford good lawyers if he ever needed to go to court for any reason because this boy can't reason or talk his way out of any hole he digs. I believe he owes african-americans a sincere apology for speaking on their behalf. I agree with all the other posters that he doesn't represent anybody but himself the pants hanging at his knees. there is such a leap pf logic between racial discrimation in the US and the attack and massacre of americans on 911. I notice that nobody seems to think that this is hate speech?

www.allhiphop.com...

"KRS-One has hit back at the New York Daily News, after the newspaper ran an article that labeled him a “Hip-Hop Anarchist.”

In yesterday’s (October 14th) popular Rush & Malloy’s daily gossip column, the paper accused the Bronx bred rapper of defiling the memory of people who were killed in the 9/11 attacks on the United States at the New Yorker Festival, where KRS was a panelist.

The article also accused KRS of siding with Al Qaeda, the terror organization that is blamed for orchestrating the deadly attacks.

“Like everyone I was shocked to read that I and other African-Americans actually ‘cheered when 911 happened’ and that I have ‘declared my solidarity with Al Qaeda,’” KRS said in a statement. “When I read my words taken out of context I was shocked and disappointed that the Daily News would go this far to assassinate my character and distort my views.”

KRS called the piece irresponsible journalism and pointed out that the magazine never attempted to follow up or even interview him to clarify his statements.

“I was making an objective point about how many Hiphoppas as well as the oppressed peoples of the world felt that day,” KRS continued. “I am a philosopher and a critical thinker, I speak truth and I urge people to think critically about themselves and their environment. Yes, my words are strong. Yes, my views are controversial. But to call me a terrorist is simply wrong!”

KRS said that he never intended to disrespect the memories of those who lost their lives and said that he was making a statement.

“I was just as saddened as everyone else on 9/11,” he continued. “However, for many of us that were racially profiled and harassed by the World’s Trade Center’s security and the police patrolling that area as well as the thousands of American protesters that spoke out against the World Trade Organization months before in Seattle, Washington there was a sense of justice, a sense of change, a wake up call watching the twin towers fall.”"

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
they guy really should have dressed right and speak acceptable language if he wanted to get into WTC

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Where do I start?

Ok, First off, KRS Hasn't had a record in years, at least early to mid 90's( if he has it hasn't been "mainstream"). He is not talking for any other Rapper, maybe his boys. Maybe he is about to drop a hit, and he wants to get his name back out there. If he does have an album comming out, it will sell because of this. People will buy it just to hear it. The same reason Howard Stern WILL have the million subscribers he needs(before he gets there) to make his show work in 16 months.

Second, just because the Mainstream media quotes a person a Ignorant way, it doesn't mean we need to. We try to hold our selves to a higher standards than the mainstream media. We are better.

Third, I have more black friends, than I have white. Say what you want I dont care. Not one, not ones families.. No one I know that is black, was happy about 9/11.

I hope this is write so, everyone can understand it. If not, U2U me.

That sums it up well

KRS one is a has been, and has been for over a decade.

I don't know a single black person who cheered. Most were as pissed as the next person

top topics

<<   2 >>

join