It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rapper: Blacks 'cheered when 9-11 happened'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I had the Priveldge of meeting and talking to KRS-1 at one of the New Music Seminars many a year back. He is very outspoken and is a very intelligent person, which makes me wonder why he would say such a thing. I know alot of African-Americans who still hold onto "Slavery". They hold the government responsible to this day. I can see why he would make such a reference, if this is indeed the case. I interpret it as "Freedom was Attacked" on 9-11, the same country that kept freedom away from African-Americans and others. While I do not agree with his statement, I may see the underlying reason for why he stated it. I dunno......

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
As the pp stated KRS one is a very intelligent, well spoken individual. He also had nothing to do with Public Enemy, KRS was involved with BDP or Boogie Down Productions. Public Enemy was started by Chuck D, another outspoken man, with strong views on government, and social policies.

I do think it is an awful statement that KRS made, and I certainly never saw any "black people" cheering. I do have to add that even though people were devestated by 9-11, I have heard comments that came later about how there is still lingering distrust and almost a feel of "white" corporations deserving what they get at times. So although there was no dancing in the streets, and there was grieving for those who perished, there is still some distrust, and anger over slavery and repression for many years among many individuals.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
As a white boy that grew up in an all black community. People are just people. I will say that the Anti-war movement in the late 60's had very few black people. Black,white,yellow,red. The color of a mans skin is washed by the integrity of his soul. United we stand

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
KRS-One has nothing to do with Public Enemy. You're refering to Chuck D.

Thanks for playing, please try again.

[edit on 15-10-2004 by brimstone735]

LL1

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Where do I start?
Ok, First off, KRS Hasn't had a record in years, at least early to mid 90's( if he has it hasn't been "mainstream"). He is not talking for any other Rapper, maybe his boys. Maybe he is about to drop a hit, and he wants to get his name back out there. If he does have an album comming out, it will sell because of this.

KRS probably need$ to get back into the studio, so he is just making waves.
You're correct mid 1990's was his last release.
Source Magazine listed artists (after 9/11), and where they
were on that day. Some were in the studios, some were sleep.
None that I have read or even know of applauded the attacks.
This is just Promo in action.

With your knowledge in Hip Hop/Rap, is that how your tag came about?
SpittinCobra, as in Spittin' lyrics?

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Before you all start arranging a lynch mob, KRS-One says that his comments were misquoted and taken out of context. If you are not familiar with KRS-One, he is an activist and many of his comments are controversial--he has always made aggressive statements in his music and in interviews against white oppression of black people. He is definitely hard core--mainstream America probably won't get KRS-One and dismiss him as a militant crazy, but like Tupac, Public Enemy and Africa Bambaataa, he was not only a hip hop artist, but also conveyed an important political and social message in his music.

BTW, KRS-One was just honored by VH1 at their first annual Hip-Hop Awards on Tuesday night.

He rebuts the Daily News article on allhiphop.com...

I was asked by the New Yorker magazine to discuss �different and personal beliefs musicians hold and the contribution artists like myself can make to the nation�s political dialog�. My views were indeed different and most were personal. However, when I was asked about why Hiphop has not engaged the current situation more (meaning 911) my responds was �because it does not affect us, or at least we don�t perceive that it effects us, 911 happened to them�. I went on to say that �I am speaking for the culture now; I am not speaking my personal opinion�. I continued to say; �911 effected them down the block; the rich, the powerful those that are oppressing us as a culture. Sony, RCA or BMG, Universal, the radio stations, Clear Channel, Viacom with BET and MTV, those are our oppressors those are the people that we�re trying to overcome in Hiphop everyday, this is a daily thing. We cheered when 911 happened in New York and say that proudly here. Because when we were down at the trade center we were getting hit over the head by cops, told that we can�t come in this building, hustled down to the train station because of the way we dressed and talked, and so on, we were racially profiled. So, when the planes hit the building we were like; mmmm justice.� And just as I began to say �now of course a lot of our friends and family were lost there as well� but I was interrupted.

My intent is never to demean or disrespect anyone�s loss or gain; and of course I did not literally �cheer when 911 happened�. I made an objective statement about the feelings of those who were oppressed by world trade policies. I was just as saddened as everyone else on 911. However, for many of us that were racially profiled and harassed by the World�s Trade Center�s security and the police patrolling that area as well as the thousands of American protesters that spoke out against the World Trade Organization months before in Seattle, Washington there was a sense of justice, a sense of change, a wake up call watching the twin towers fall.

These are not my views only; these views represent a popular truth that few people are really ready to hear. No one wished death on anyone or just sat and �cheered when 911 happened�. But some of us can see through the bull#! America must change its approach to the world and its citizens. This, I believe is what all Americans should be thinking about. How do we make our country better?

For years my career has been one of promoting peace, love, unity and having fun; such has always been Hiphop�s cultural principles. So how all of a sudden now can I be aligned with Al Qaeda? What happened to honest debate and freedom of speech! I don�t speak for the African American community exclusively, I speak for HIPHOP! And let me be clear here; most of the Hiphop community is against the war in Iraq! But to align me with Al Qaeda is clearly an attempt by the Daily News to interrupt the street voice of our Hiphop community, KRS-ONE�s leadership and the increased momentum of our Hiphop political movement.

I don�t think Al Qaeda needs my solidarity nor did I ever offer it, so what�s the point. For a major news organization to now align KRS-ONE with Al Qaeda shows the unwarranted contempt that such an organization has for me. Such is grounds for a law suit!

Finally, no one should ever believe anything that the one-sided Daily News has to say about the same Hiphop community that it (the Daily News) has tried so desperately to undermine for years. The only thing the Daily News seems to be interested in is scandal and controversy and for years I have challenged the Daily News on its depictions of Rap artists and Hiphop as a whole.
Click for full article

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Not the only strange anomaly

www.konformist.com...
[edit on 15-10-2004 by project_pisces]

[edit on 15-10-2004 by project_pisces]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Was he too dumb to think about the black people on the planes? How about the black police and firefighters that died?

The guy is too stupid for words and makes no sense at all. Either that or it is a publicity stunt and he values $$$ over decency and self respect.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by LL1

With your knowledge in Hip Hop/Rap, is that how your tag came about?
SpittinCobra, as in Spittin' lyrics?

Naw, I am a reptile freak, like them, I am misunderstood most the time.

I got some guys in Gary Indiana, that are going to be big in the next couple of years.

LL1

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
As you stated "you got these guys", are they signed to you?
Are you then a producer?
BTW, KRS is more than likely attempting a come back.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by LL1
As you stated "you got these guys", are they signed to you?
Are you then a producer?
BTW, KRS is more than likely attempting a come back.

They are family friends, there ae my family. lol I am not, I did pass there demo on to a producer that we are friends with. They where very excited with it.

The problem with Gary, and most hoods, there is nothing there. No way of getting out, unless your selling dope, and if your selling your not leaving. It took 5 years of my life to realize all of this. I decided I was going to help all the misunderstood black teens I can. Rap just happens to be the best way out. We also but houses in this area, to put money back in to the city, give people a better place to live. To show not all whities are bad, build trust.

LL1

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
"fam" you say.. lol
I'm from NY, trust, I do know. I respect the fact that they
would choose music to the other alternative...
Hope that the demo was copyrighted, I would hate for the
guys to have to hear their beat on someone elses' track.
Seen that, without royalties paid.
And do try A&R's in at the NYC labels.
Need phone numbers? U2U me...

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
man all of ya r so stupid krs-one is one of the most talented hip hop arrtist ever existed and i dont like what he said but krs is hip hop that bs on tv is rap.krs is 6th best rap artist in the history or something i know he was on top 10 on mtv

SR

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
I hope KRS ONE can afford good lawyers if he ever needed to go to court for any reason because this boy can't reason or talk his way out of any hole he digs. I believe he owes african-americans a sincere apology for speaking on their behalf. I agree with all the other posters that he doesn't represent anybody but himself the pants hanging at his knees. there is such a leap pf logic between racial discrimation in the US and the attack and massacre of americans on 911. I notice that nobody seems to think that this is hate speech?

www.allhiphop.com...

"KRS-One has hit back at the New York Daily News, after the newspaper ran an article that labeled him a “Hip-Hop Anarchist.”

In yesterday’s (October 14th) popular Rush & Malloy’s daily gossip column, the paper accused the Bronx bred rapper of defiling the memory of people who were killed in the 9/11 attacks on the United States at the New Yorker Festival, where KRS was a panelist.

The article also accused KRS of siding with Al Qaeda, the terror organization that is blamed for orchestrating the deadly attacks.

“Like everyone I was shocked to read that I and other African-Americans actually ‘cheered when 911 happened’ and that I have ‘declared my solidarity with Al Qaeda,’” KRS said in a statement. “When I read my words taken out of context I was shocked and disappointed that the Daily News would go this far to assassinate my character and distort my views.”

KRS called the piece irresponsible journalism and pointed out that the magazine never attempted to follow up or even interview him to clarify his statements.

“I was making an objective point about how many Hiphoppas as well as the oppressed peoples of the world felt that day,” KRS continued. “I am a philosopher and a critical thinker, I speak truth and I urge people to think critically about themselves and their environment. Yes, my words are strong. Yes, my views are controversial. But to call me a terrorist is simply wrong!”

KRS said that he never intended to disrespect the memories of those who lost their lives and said that he was making a statement.

“I was just as saddened as everyone else on 9/11,” he continued. “However, for many of us that were racially profiled and harassed by the World’s Trade Center’s security and the police patrolling that area as well as the thousands of American protesters that spoke out against the World Trade Organization months before in Seattle, Washington there was a sense of justice, a sense of change, a wake up call watching the twin towers fall.”"

Just a case of him being taken out of context because 'everyone' know's how Rap is the reason society is violent and has problems today
well that is if you believe whatever Bill o' Reilly and other scaremongering fools say anyway i'm sorry to pick this out put you claimed you were all for freedom speech yet were shocked and appalled when someone said something like this but essentially that is the essence of free speech there is always going to be people claiming and saying things like this for example i bet there was a few folks back in the day saying things like 'i'm glad we're going to iraq and kicking ass and killing those sand*****' etc.

Now that is big speculation on my part but i bet there were people who said things like that now just because a few were white or black doesn't mean i automatically hate or think they're whole race you know why cause it's always the exteremists that get the coverage and the shock opinions that are publicised to sell papers etc. and make the gulliable fearful when really the case is most of the public don't give two sh**s what some crackhead is rambling on about or trying to think for them and that's what it boils down to 'Ignorance' of these people that make comments KRS-One's comments were still ignorant even if they were taken out of context i aint going to defend that but at least hopefully he will learn from it postively instead of what many Extremists do when they don't get the rection they want and that's to become more hateful and find more reason's to spread this hate.

Yet we shouldn't discredit them or anything and show our own ignorance on matters instead just read what they say make your own decision and reply what you think and from sensible communication and even wild opinions from people we'll all raise the learning bar in the long run and all benefit

[edit on 18-5-2007 by SR]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join