It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mathematician claims proof for the ABC conjecture of prime numbers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Hi all I did a search and nothing came up and posted it in this forum accordingly - mods please remove if you deem it necessary to do so.

Calling all Sheldon Coopers.........this Japanese brainiac has sent shockwaves through the underworld of geek-dom, apparently proving a theory formulated in 1985 involving the concept of square-free numbers, or numbers that cannot be divided by the square of any number.

A Japanese mathematician claims to have the proof for the ABC conjecture, a statement about the relationship between prime numbers that has been called the most important unsolved problem in number theory. If Shinichi Mochizuki's 500-page proof stands up to scrutiny, mathematicians say it will represent one of the most astounding achievements of mathematics of the twenty-first century. The proof will also have ramifications all over mathematics, and even in the real-world field of data encryption.

The ABC conjecture makes a statement about pairs of numbers that have no prime factors in common, Peterson explained. If A and B are two such numbers and C is their sum, the ABC conjecture holds that the square-free part of the product A x B x C, denoted by sqp(ABC), divided by C is always greater than 0.

Meanwhile, sqp(ABC) raised to any power greater than 1 and divided by C is always greater than 1. This conjecture may seem esoteric, but for mathematicians, it's deep and ubiquitous. "The ABC conjecture is amazingly simple compared to the deep questions in number theory," Andrew Granville of the University of Georgia in Athens was quoted as saying in the MAA article. "This strange conjecture turns out to be equivalent to all the main problems. It's at the center of everything that's been going on." The conjecture has also been described as a sort of grand unified theory of whole numbers, in that the proofs of many other important theorems follow immediately from it.

For example, Fermat's famous Last Theorem (which states that an+bn=cn has no integer solutions if n>2) follows as a direct consequence of the ABC conjecture.

Yahoo.com

Please tell me that 2+2 still = 4, because I'm starting to freak out here

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
He still has a lot to learn...

Mathematical Evidence that Gen 1.1 the first words in the Bible tell us the Truth about our Origin with signature of 373

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ResearchEverything777

Numerology is to Mathematics as Astrology is to Astronomy, as Snake Oil is to Actual Medicine.

Please, leave the numerology nonsense in the more 'magical' spooky threads.

To the OP; cool find. This proof will show some fun changes in the next couple years.
Well done!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ResearchEverything777
He still has a lot to learn...

Mathematical Evidence that Gen 1.1 the first words in the Bible tell us the Truth about our Origin with signature of 373

Can we keep the thread factual please.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Numerology is to Mathematics as Astrology is to Astronomy, as Snake Oil is to Actual Medicine.

Please, leave the numerology nonsense in the more 'magical' spooky threads.

To the OP; cool find. This proof will show some fun changes in the next couple years.
Well done!

Numbers = Structure...Everything In The Universe...

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
My head hurts now

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Context is Mathematics...."Prime Numbers" From Ancient Time...To Present!

(Prime Numbers=153) A=1 B=2 C=3... "Natural Order" (The Golden Ratio=153)

JESUS GAVE THE ANSWER 2,000 YEARS AGO...John 21:11 The ( 153 ) Fish Count.

"1.618 is a mathematical formula that is found in many things, thus proving the universe was created by Intelligent Design, that is, God. "

Numbers - Structure - Design - Purpose......

edit on 11-9-2012 by ResearchEverything777 because: add text

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Tell me, did Harry Potter think up his own lines... or did JK Rowling?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Go back to your kiddie table...When you mature...and learn manners
And Math...zsem.k12.com... rade=gen&utm_campaign=California_Local_Awareness-Content&utm_medium=content&utm_source=google&utm_term=free_home_school&adgroup=HSL_Free_Homeschool&ke yword_match=Broad&message_class=direct_response&vendor=ef&provider=google&geo_distro=ca&ef_id=ROdOvw86ij4AAIEE:20120912050041:s

I didn't think you would understand the analogy...

You probably don't see the irony in what you just said either.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

You're entirely off topic.
The topic is Proof for the ABC conjecture of prime numbers.
The ABC conjecture is simply the ABC conjecture.

What you are doing is looking at a subject similar to "The Language of Shakespeare", and arbitrarily spamming videos and utter nonsense magical thinking sewer sludge because you think you heard someone using some 'language' while producing that sewer sludge.

Yes, math was used in the Proof for the ABC conjecture of prime numbers, and it involves prime numbers to some extent, but, unless you have something to say regarding the actual proof for the ABC conjecture of prime numbers instead of component parts of the description of what it is that you obvious don't understand, please, step away from the keyboard.

The subject is not Math, or prime numbers, or any of your magical mystical rainbow unicorn nonsense.
The subject is Proof for the ABC conjecture of prime numbers.
Thus, if you have anything to say about the ABC Conjecture itself that is relevant, instead of preaching whatever religion it is you're trying to flop around the room for everyone to see, that would be nice.

edit on 12-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
If I'm interpreting this correctly - this could potentially allow one to predict prime numbers, or form the cornerstone of a formula capable of doing so. That would turn mathematics on its head. Predicting Prime Numbers is the holy grail of mathematics. It would be like a grand unified theory in physics.

As for numerology ... eh. I look at it like soothsaying. You can read a lot into things, and extrapolate meaning out of it. If it helps you find peace and fulfillment in life - I'm not going to shun you for it. Though don't expect me to sit and not challenge your faith in any system. Faith, unchallenged, is simply a personal fad.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

What on earth did this thread have to do with Jesus or Genesis???
Way to derail a thread to your own agenda man !

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
If I'm interpreting this correctly - this could potentially allow one to predict prime numbers, or form the cornerstone of a formula capable of doing so. That would turn mathematics on its head. Predicting Prime Numbers is the holy grail of mathematics. It would be like a grand unified theory in physics.

Why so?
Proving the conjecture only means it's no longer a conjecture but simply true "for real". And as a direct consequence, many other conjectures can finally rest in peace, after serving us well.
edit on 12-9-2012 by Consequence because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Your Missing The Point....It's All Connected! It All Goes Back To It's Source..."Creation"

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by skonaz

If you watched those video's, How can you deny the connection...Number's Don't Lie. Be Honest and Unbiased!

Then you can see the connection!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Go back to your kiddie table...When you mature...and learn manners
And Math...zsem.k12.com... rade=gen&utm_campaign=California_Local_Awareness-Content&utm_medium=content&utm_source=google&utm_term=free_home_school&adgroup=HSL_Free_Homeschool&ke yword_match=Broad&message_class=direct_response&vendor=ef&provider=google&geo_distro=ca&ef_id=ROdOvw86ij4AAIEE:20120912050041:s

Buddy, please don't attack the attackers. I am following you though and find your posts interesting...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C

As for numerology ... eh. I look at it like soothsaying. You can read a lot into things, and extrapolate meaning out of it. If it helps you find peace and fulfillment in life - I'm not going to shun you for it. Though don't expect me to sit and not challenge your faith in any system. Faith, unchallenged, is simply a personal fad.

Ahh you got me thinking here... Good thought on this. Please elaborate on the "prediction" part (yes you did state potentially)... I am curious and want to make sure I am following you..

Thanks..

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Seek and Find...

"Finding all the prime numbers between 1 and 100 using the technique devised by the ancient Greek mathematician Eratosthenes"

Numbers...Patterns...Structure!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join