It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"US teen invents advanced cancer test using Google"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
This little video and article goes a long way to demonstrate the power of the internet in the hands of a motivated individual. His family has been affected by cancer and he wanted to do something about it, Good for him!
His test could save an un-told number of lives because its quicker, easier and more cost effective to administer, people get treatment sooner and this would free up hospital budgets to be applied elsewhere.

Jack Andraka has created a pancreatic cancer test that is 168 times faster and considerably cheaper than the gold standard in the field. He has applied for a patent for his test and is now carrying out further research at Johns Hopkins University in the US city of Baltimore.

Source

Lets hope he gets the patent and doesn't end up being bought out by the Pharm' companies or "persuaded" to stop pursuing his test.

Dave

edit on 25/8/2012 by waveydavey because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Here is the video. Very awesome. Big props for him

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Thanks for the embed! Big props for him indeed!

Dave

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Next week "US teen who invents cancer test commits suicide"

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Lets hope not!
At least his video and story got to see the light of day.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

He was depressed say officials. He was the quiet type neighbors say.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
"I've stood on the shoulders of giants and that's why I can see so far."

That's some profound # right there.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Very profound!

I really hope that this test becomes mainstream. Its so cheap that anyone could walk in off the street and be tested there and then.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Wait till this kids starts seeing dollar signs. Ill bet that this 3 cents test is going to be sold at $50 a go when it finally comes into use.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Google with sue him for patent infringement. Plus whyd he not just tell people how to do it themselves?, im sure hes a bright kid and all that, but to be honest im pretty sure I can replicate whatever test he is conducting.
edit on 25-8-2012 by Murad because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-8-2012 by Murad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Murad

Can you create carbon nano tubes?

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Murad

for extra legal proceedings he should design the device to be a rectangle with rounded corners so he can be sued by apple too.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Very awesome indeed.

See people we need more co-opperation and less competition.

People are capable of far more when they work together.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
That kid is a total genius.

I hope this thread gets the attention it deserves - really inspiring to see what even a 15 year old can do to save people's lives.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

are you crazy, 50 dollars. we can bill this out at a 1000 dollars a minute. at five minutes a test 5 thousand dollars. twelve patients a in a hour, 60,000 dollars. 8 hours a day 480,000 a dollars.

chug ching.

and you know this is what will happen. my pop went to his heart doctor last month spent a total of 5 minutes with him. got the bill for it last week. the doctor charged $565.45 dollars.
he didn't even take his vitals, just read the report from the lab.
edit on 25-8-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murad
Google with sue him for patent infringement.

It's good press. He used their search engine

Plus whyd he not just tell people how to do it themselves?

m sure hes a bright kid and all that, but to be honest im pretty sure I can replicate whatever test he is conducting.

Did you read the article and watch the video?

He researched and educated himself on how to do it using the internet, accessing public information. Then he applied for funding.

You can do that too.
edit on 25-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

I think you have it all wrong. The patent will get bought for $1 million. The kid will be rich. The company that bought it will manufacture this for about $1, sell it to doctors for $500 and make billions.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Tomorrow Obama will tell this poor kid he did not invent that.

Everyone has Cancer!!! If they can detect it, that means your unhealthy. Get healthy and it will go away, don't let some idiot doctors make it worse by nuking you!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Lets hope he gets the patent and doesn't end up being bought out by the Pharm' companies or "persuaded" to stop pursuing his test.
reply to post by waveydavey

I really don't think that would happen, because the cat is already out of the bag.
That's the thing about secrets, once they are out in the open they are no longer secrets.

The internet is starting to break down a lot of walls. What was once the realm of PhD's and other scientist is slowly slipping into the basements and garages of ordinary people. If you have the patience and can read, the knowledge of the world is now at your fingertips. I truly believe the worlds energy problems will someday be solved by a garage physicist.

Anyway...great video and story. S/F!

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Very cool stuff, but pretty old news - this is from several months ago; can't believe its not on these forums somewhere but i just did a quick search and didnt see it.

Jack also won the $75,000 grand prize at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in May.

www.forbes.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join