It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cool Thylacine videos.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2003 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Here are some old videos of Thylacine kept in the inhumane zoo's of its time.

Heres the link, cool to watch videos of such a strange animal:

www.naturalworlds.org... .htm

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 08:52 AM
link   
It's remind me the "tigron" (when a tiger and a lion have sex, they can procreate. I dont know the english name of this beast)

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I believe its called a Liger. Not too sure though.

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The thylacine is currently thought to be extinct....but there are still sightings. Recently, in the same part of the world...some deer thought to be extinct were found as well...(have the weird breathing slits, etc.).

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:58 PM
link   
i wish the dodo was still alive. i wanna see one lol

ID

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 08:38 PM
link   
First off let me say that anything as stupid as the Dodo deserved to become extinct. The Thylacine looks awesome! If it is extinct was this due to human interference or natural causes? I can kinda see why it would be, just looking at it makes me wanna either catch one and keep it or shoot one and stuff it. I love seeing what natural selection can do without human interference.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I hate to throw a spanner in the works, but a thylacin is not a liger or any other hybrid.

It's just a regular Tasmanian Tiger (not Tasmanian Devil), a carnivorous marsupial that in latter days was restricted to Tasmania itself and driven to extinction. Last known example in the 1930s from my fuzzy memory.

There are still Tasmanian Tiger sightings claimed by the odd bush wanderer in the eastern states of Oz, but not as frequent as the claimed moa sightings in Aotearoa.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 09:38 PM
link   
liger

SYLLABICATION: li�ger
NOUN: The product of crossbreeding between a male lion and a female tiger, having features of both but generally being larger than either.
ETYMOLOGY: li(on) + (ti)ger.

tiglon

SYLLABICATION: ti�glon
VARIANT FORMS: also ti�gon (gn)
NOUN: The hybrid offspring of a male tiger and a female lion.
ETYMOLOGY: tig(er) + l(i)on.

AS OPPOSED TO:

thylacine

SYLLABICATION: thy�la�cine
NOUN: See Tasmanian Wolf, Tasmanian Tiger
ETYMOLOGY: From New Latin Thlacnus, genus name, from Greek thlakos, sack.

ID

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I thought the name sounded familiar! I have seen a special about these little critters. These are not yet declared extinct as apparently you have to find evidence of this (don't know exactly how you do this). Apparently they cannot confirm that the thylacine is completely extinct but given the minimal number of sightings people just assume that it is. This is what I remember the special saying, this was a few years back though so it may now be confirmed.

The product of crossbreeding between a male lion and a female tiger, having features of both but generally being larger than either.
Wow it is bigger then them both, how much bigger is it? I mean are we talkin' 15 pounds or an extra foot in length? Scary to think about.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 03:36 AM
link   
cool

never saw such an animal before.

almost extinct, but hey, we've got one caged!

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienaddicted
never saw such an animal before.

almost extinct, but hey, we've got one caged!

It is wild looking but I just read that the last caged thylacine died in 1936.

From the Sunday Tasmanian:

"The last caged thylacine died on this day in 1936 but the profile of the legendary tiger is bigger than ever."

www.themercury.news.com.au...

zed

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 09:55 AM
link   
When Europeans arrived in Oz it had already died out on the mainland and only survived in Tasmania. Then it was accused of mauling the settlers' sheep and a bounty was put on its head. After that it was hunted to apparent extinction.

In NZ, the Takahe (like a large swamp hen) was thought to be extinct for over 50 years before being rediscovered so I guess there is some hope for the Tassie Tiger.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 12:37 AM
link   
This is a news report about Ted Turner and the tasmanian tiger.

THE RETURN OF THE TASMANIAN TIGER

"In March 1982, a park ranger in northwestern Tasmania awoke in the dead of night. From force of habit, he scanned the woods, his spotlight punching through black walls of rain. And there in the beam was one of the strangest creatures he had ever seen. About the size and shape of a dog, it was covered with stripes that ran from its shoulders across its back to its thick, rigid, tail.
"The animal stood still as the startled ranger counted the stripes, then it nonchalantly gave an enormous jaw-stretching yawn. But when the ranger reached for his camera, the creature faded into the undergrowth, leaving nothing but a rank smell. It also left a trail of excitement, for the bizarre beast looked exactly like a Tasmanian tiger -- also called a thylacine or Tasmanian wolf -- an animal thought to have been extinct nearly 50 years ago."

Hundreds of people claim they have spotted the Tasmanian tiger since the last captive died in 1936, but we have no good photos or other "proofs." Mediaman Ted Turner has offered a prize of $100,000 for "verifiable evidence" that the Tasmanian tiger still lives. Consequently, the Tasmanian wilds are being combed diligently and automatic cameras, triggered by infrared beams, are being set up in likely spots

www.science-frontiers.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Thylacine? is that a heavy metal band?

top topics

join