It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athiest Road Signs Attack Romney/Obama Faiths

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well .. I'll give the Athiest group this .. at least they are equal opportunity bashers ...

Athiest Road Signs Attack Religion Ahead of Democratic Convention

Just as the city of Charlotte, N.C., gears up to host the Democratic National Convention, an atheist group is mounting a billboard campaign attacking the religious faiths of President Obama and GOP challenger Mitt Romney.

The signs, paid for by American Atheists Incorporated (AAI) and appearing along keylocal highways, include messages such as: "Christianity: Sadistic God, Useless Savior" and "Mormonism: Magic Underwear, Baptizes Dead People, Big Money, Big Bigotry." AAI President David Silverman told FoxNews.com the signs are aimed at keeping religion and politics separate as the convention gets under way Sept. 3.

Other faiths, including Judaism and Islam, were spared because the billboards are designed to attack GOP nominee Mitt Romney, a Mormon, and President Obama, a Christian, according to AAI. They will remain up for a month, and cost Silverman's group $15,000.

I looked for their website but couldn't find it.
A picture of the signs is available at the link.

So .. freedom of speech. Fully protected. Right?
Or is it instigation and supposed 'hate speech'?
Or is it educational? Or is it free speech but really, really rude??
Would those that support this have a problem with them if they hit up Muslims?
How about those that are against this? Would it be okay if they hit beliefs other than yours?

They'll get some media attention which will help their group.
So kudos to whoever their PR person is.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

If that business owner with the anti-Obama sign can keep it up, then I see no reason why this group can't also do the same.

Though I don't agree with the way they're questioning the faiths of both candidates.

All they need to point out is that both religions have extremist elements and those elements will always get more attention than the folks who aren't so extreme.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Love it!

If I had the resources I would probably put up some billboards as well. I would probably be even more confrontational.

Sure, the signs are rude, but perfectly legal.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I may not like what it says, but Ill defend their right to say it.

This is America, freedom of speech and expression should be defended at all cost.

Besides, I am a christian, and My god is bigger than a billboard, I think he'll be okay.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Or is it free speech but really, really rude??

Yup. That one.

Would those that support this have a problem with them if they hit up Muslims?

I would have the same problems I have with the other religions. In other words, Free Speech, but really rude (and stupid, IMO) But then again, I support Phelps' right to free speech.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Free speech? - yes.
Hate speech? - no. Now, if they were directed at some other faiths, or the like at certain lifestyles, I'm sure some would rush to consider it so.
Educational? - absolutely not. VaterOrlaag clarified well.
Rude? - absolutely. But god bless America, right? I'd rather tolerate some rudeness every once in awhile instead of having my own options to express myself limited.

Seems to be a bit of a silly campaign to be spending time and money on, IMHO - much better to address issues with the candidates' positions directly instead of latching on to your pet gripes. As I've said elsewhere, I'd gladly vote for an avowed satanist if I truly believed he understood the intent and limitations of his position and would otherwise keep his personal views and ambitions out of it altogether - and I'm christian.

Even if I disagree 100% with your personal beliefs, if you're the right man for the job, you're simply the right man for the job. It's just a shame that I don't think either of these two are the right man for the job.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I think everyone should have the opportunity to say what's on their minds. That way, we (1) all experience freedom of speech for what it actually is and (2) have the opportunity to identify others of like-minds and (3) are constantly reminded of the world of differing opinions surrounding us and the consequential opportunity for education it heralds.

However, if that billboard is posted by the side of the road, right in front of a house of worship, I would still consider that legal, but incredibly rude.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
"Get religion out of politics."

Seems fair. Although the way they're going about it is like the pot calling the kettle black.
edit on 22/8/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Given that both candidates use their faith during campaigning I think it's only fair that people have the RIGHT to question it.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
take a drive on any highway in the south...and somewhere you will see a huge christian cross. try living in a rural part of the south being an atheist, you might as well be black. living in the south is like living in a foreign country.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
living in the south is like living in a foreign country.

I'm sure everybody wishes it were...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I wouldn't see such an issue with it if only they made the context clear. If they are doing this to keep religion out of the discussion this election, why couldn't they say something like that?

Like:
"God is not an American. Vote for an American"
Wow... I might actually keep that one.

link   
reply to post by Cuervo

It can be if they would secede and form Jesusland instead of pushing their crap on the rest of the country.

Then again, the U.S government would reserve the right to annex that land at any time.

link   
Obama is Muslim and Romney is Mormon.

WTH does that have to do with Christianity?

/fail

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

/fail

Well, nobody in their right mind likes Christians, they are the most asinine of all, so they should probably be called out none the less.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

"Or is it free speech but really, really rude??" fits for me.

And to answer the spirit of your OP.. I'd support freedom of speech no matter who was behind an ad. I'd just choose to either support, be uninvolved, or to denounce - based upon the specific message involved.

They have the right to say it - and we all have the right to add our voices to the din.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I'm agnostic, but I don't get extreme atheists. What are they trying to do? This is the same as the group that is trying ban the cross from being placed at the 9/11 site. Christians were killed there too, in fact that majority were Christians!!!

I really don't get why atheists go out of their way to try to get people to believe what they believe even though they never will? Is that it? Or do they wanna just ban all religion outright even though 90% of the country believe in a religion or at least in God...

Not believing in God is still a belief. You believe God doesn't exist! There's no proof to back it up. There's no proof to back up that God exists either. He's a grey area!

Makes no sense really.
edit on 22-8-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtectedWitness

Originally posted by HIWATT

/fail

Well, nobody in their right mind likes Christians, they are the most asinine of all, so they should probably be called out none the less.

No person calling him or herself a Christian has ever done anything to harm me. In fact I can point to a number of cases where they have been of immense help.

Am I "not in my right mind" ?

The irony is, you label people as asinine when your post itself smacks of foolishness.

Stick to the topic right? The OP posted a billboard which espouses an attack against the religious beliefs of two presidential candidates - assuming that religion is Christianity. That assumption is false.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
I'm agnostic, but I don't get extreme atheists. What are they trying to do? This is the same as the group that is trying ban the cross from being placed at the 9/11 site. Christians were killed there too, in fact that majority were Christians!!!

I really don't get why atheists go out of their way to try to get people to believe what they believe even though they never will? Is that it? Or do they wanna just ban all religion outright even 90% of the country believe in a religion or at least in God...

Not believing in God is still a belief. You believe God doesn't exist! There's no proof to back it up. There's no proof to back up that God exists either. He's a grey area!

Makes no sense really.
edit on 22-8-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

You have a very valid concern, and I agree with it.

However, you must agree that extreme atheists are doing a better job at getting the word out than the subdued atheists.

Just like here on ATS. Which thread do you think will get more responses and stir up the masses:

1) Obama seeks re-election to continue his promises to the American People.

or

2) Obama wants to get re-elected so he can FORCE his oppression and illegal Obamacare down the throats of unsuspecting American People!!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I go with free speech but really, really rude .... and at the same time a bit educational.
I find it interesting that they decided to put these up at the Democratic National Convention
but from what I can find, they didn't do it at the Republican National Convention. Odd.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join