It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania Man Sent to Psych Ward for "Religious Beliefs"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
This is an interesting article from NEIN (Northeast Intelligence Network) news. This story comes out of Scranton, Pennsylvania. A 28-year old web designer, Jason Egroff, was at his house on August 8, 2012 when a police officer called him and told him to...

turn on the porch light and step outside as he wanted to speak to him. Knowing that he had done nothing wrong, Jason complied with the officer’s request. As he stepped onto the porch, “officer Steve” was there to meet him, accompanied by another law enforcement officer. I should note that Jason Egroff is not stupid or naive, and sensed that had he not complied with the officer’s request, things might have gotten ugly. “It was a matter of choosing my battles,” he told me, but he was still not quite ready for what happened next. The officer told Jason that the Scranton Police Department received a telephone call from a “friend” living in New York City who claimed to be concerned about Jason’s mental health. This friend works as a physical therapy assistant at a large New York City hospital. It is important to note his “friend’s” professional position is well outside of the mental health practice. According to the officer, Jason’s friend contacted his department, and claimed that he was “worried” about him, citing his recent talk about the Bible in general, Biblical prophecy in particular, and the role of the Obama regime in the larger picture detailed by prophecy. This “friend” has been listening to Jason’s calls to The Hagmann & Hagmann Report as well as Jason’s own recently started BTR radio show.

It goes on to say this "friend" that the cops were alerted by knew Jason Egroff had guns and was worried he would harm someone with the weapons. So the cops take him to a psych ward.

The officers took Jason to the local hospital psychiatric ward for “evaluation.” For the next 18 hours, he was subjected to some of the most humiliating searches, probes, and questions by hospital personnel. Questions included those specific to his religious faith and what he thought about the government and Obama. Questions that were structured in such a manner that regardless of the answer, they would result in portraying him as a dangerous, gun-owning Christian zealot. All as a result of Jason expressing his non-violent, well reasoned, and articulate views on our show as well as his own. All ostensibly from the concern of one “friend” from another state and well over 100 miles away.

Jason says he was released under the condition that he gets rid of any and all firearms he owns and report to a crisis counseling center upon discharge.

This gets a bit more interesting when Jason, who felt it best to accommodate the evaluating doctors, reported to the crisis counseling center as instructed. Mr. Egroff furnished the handful of paperwork to the crisis center worker who spent a few minutes looking over the documents. After a lengthy pause, she looked at Jason and made the following chilling observation as if it was a matter of routine: “So, you’re here because of your religious beliefs.” As Jason tells it, this was not a question, but a statement of fact.

Read the Full Article

I found this story and it reminded me of what's going on with Brandon Raub right now. See Brandon Raub Story

Should we fear being thrown in a psychiatric hospital because of our political and/or religious beliefs? What is the line anyways? Most people know not to make threats or incite riots, but how far does our Freedom of Speech really go before you have to worry about something like this happening to you? All it takes is someone who doesn't understand your beliefs, or know you that well, telling authorities that you're crazy?

Also, the article is not expressing my views, it just happens to be the source. I checked on the name "Jason Egroff" and he is a 28-year old web designer out of Scranton, Pennsylvania. He has his own business/website "Simficent Design LLC" as well as a Facebook Page so the guy does exist and this seems to be a story that needs a good looking into.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FearYourMind

This is how they begin to take away your firearms. Label you as a religious nut and have you intered into a psych ward against your will. They can violate your rights by portraying you as a "religious crazy" and there's nothign you can do about it. "Give up your guns and forget your religion, or be stuck in a nuthouse forever" sounds like terrorism to me.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
"Should we fear being thrown in a psychiatric hospital because of our political and/or religious beliefs?"

No.You shouldn't talk crazy to friend and not expect them to be concerned about you.That's all it was,nothing more. He was evaluated for his own good.You know,people CAN be mentally ill.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

No. Something is missing. Namely, the actual words and statements made by the man. This isn't about him being a Christian. There is a lot of information missing. The article is vague in what was actually said by this man. It was not simply because he was a "Christian with guns" that got the authorities attention.Otherwise, we would have half of the citizens of the United States under evaluation.

Where's the rest of this story OP ?

edit on 21-8-2012 by skepticconwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Then why wasn't Mr. Bush admitted to a psych ward for telling all us "God told me to invade Iraq"?

Seems that was a fair amount more harmful in the end than anything this guy did.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

No. Something is missing. Namely, the actual words and statements made by the man. This isn't about him being a Christian. There is a lot of information missing. The article is vague in what was actually said by this man. It was not simply because he was a "Christian with guns" that got the authorities attention.Otherwise, we would have half of the citizens of the United States under evaluation.

Where's the rest of this story OP ?

Read the OP's link and quit being lazy and arguementative. If the OP didn't provide the link to their source I would understand your comment. The source is provided, so enlighten yourself!

edit on 21-8-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

I posted the link to the article. This is the only source available right now and I stated that the article didn't express my views. I was posting it for the story, not to support the claims of the author that went with it.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

The guy needs to choose his friends more wisely

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Story is not adding up. Was there a warrant? A judges order? Something else had to be involved here.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I'd say this gentleman may very well have a good case against all parties who infringed upon his rights.

Constitution
of the
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WE, the people of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of civil and religious liberty, and humbly invoking His guidance, do ordain and establish this Constitution.

Article 1
DECLARATION OF RIGHTS
That the general, great and essential principles of liberty and free government may be recognized and unalterably established, WE DECLARE THAT -

Inherent Rights of Mankind
Section 1.
All men are born equally free and independent, and have certain inherent and indefeasible rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring, possessing and protecting property and reputation, and of pursuing their own happiness.

Political Powers
Section 2.
All power is inherent in the people, and all free governments are founded on their authority and instituted for their peace, safety and happiness. For the advancement of these ends they have at all times an inalienable and indefeasible right to alter, reform or abolish their government in such manner as they may think proper.

Religious Freedom
Section 3.
All men have a natural and indefeasible right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their own consciences; no man can of right be compelled to attend, erect or support any place of worship or to maintain any ministry against his consent; no human authority can, in any case whatever, control or interfere with the rights of conscience, and no preference shall ever be given by law to any religious establishments or modes of worship.

Trial by Jury
Section 6.
Trial by jury shall be as heretofore, and the right thereof remain inviolate. The General assembly may provide, however, by law, that a verdict may be rendered by not less than five-sixths of the jury in any civil case.

Freedom of Press and Speech; Libels
Section 7.
The printing press shall be free to every person who may undertake to examine the proceedings of the Legislature or any branch of government, and no law shall ever be made to restrain the right thereof. The free communication of thoughts and opinions is one of the invaluable rights of man, and every citizen may freely speak, write and print on any subject, being responsible for the abuse of that liberty. No conviction shall be had in any prosecution for the publication of papers relating to the official conduct of officers or men in public capacity, or to any other matter proper for public investigation or information, where the fact that such publication was not maliciously or negligently made shall be established to the satisfaction of the jury; and in all indictments for libels the jury shall have the right to determine the law and the facts, under the direction of the court, as in other cases.

Security From Searches and Seizures
Section 8.
The people shall be secure in their persons, houses, papers and possessions from unreasonable searches and seizures, and no warrant to search any place or to seize any person or things shall issue without describing them as nearly as may be, nor without probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation subscribed by the affiant.

Right to Bear Arms
Section 21.
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Reservation of Powers in People
Section 25.
To guard against the transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

www.pahouse.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FearYourMind
Should we fear being thrown in a psychiatric hospital because of our political and/or religious beliefs?

Read this...

He died a frightened, weak and tired man; six months earlier he had been determine, happy and exceptionally healthy; it had taken only that short time for Her Majesty's Government's Heath Department to reduce Phil to a puke covered corpse....

www.spunk.org...

A true story.

For years, the state has used various forms of social control to attack radical social movements that challenge its power. The three works reviewed here explore the power mechanisms behind the repression and pacification of political dissent. They help us understand the various ways that the state intervenes to suppress radical movements and prevent social transformation....

Social Control, Repression, and the Role of the State: Controlling Radical Movements

Mental hospitals have been used for a long time to silence people, just one of the many tactics used. If they want to get you, they will find a way.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The article does not go into detail about what his beliefs are so nobody in this thread can call the action taken by the police as over the top. A friend does not have to be a mental health professional in order to be concerned about their friends stability. But it seems like you people distrust the mental health field anyway so would it really matter? I also doubt a psychiatric hospital questioned him for 18 hours straight. But clearly they found something off about him if he has to report to a crisis center, right? If he shows signs of being mentally unstable he does not need a gun.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
The article does not go into detail about what his beliefs are so nobody in this thread can call the action taken by the police as over the top. A friend does not have to be a mental health professional in order to be concerned about their friends stability. But it seems like you people distrust the mental health field anyway so would it really matter? I also doubt a psychiatric hospital questioned him for 18 hours straight. But clearly they found something off about him if he has to report to a crisis center, right? If he shows signs of being mentally unstable he does not need a gun.

If anyone listens to The Hagmann & Hagmann Report maybe they have heard him call in since he seems to be a regular. What he says on that show along with his own radio show seem to be part of the issue. Douglas J. Hagmann, the host of the Hagmann & Hagmann Report and author of the article, claims the guy is articulate and peaceful. I don't find it hard to believe they were questioning him for 18 hours straight, not when you consider what is going on with Brandon Raub right now.
edit on 21-8-2012 by FearYourMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78
"Should we fear being thrown in a psychiatric hospital because of our political and/or religious beliefs?"

No.You shouldn't talk crazy to friend and not expect them to be concerned about you.That's all it was,nothing more. He was evaluated for his own good.You know,people CAN be mentally ill.

Apparently calling to have government officials arrested is considered "talking crazy". Give me an example of crazy talk that has come from the Brandon Raub case or this one. What some consider crazy others might see as perfectly logical. The bottom line is ...as long as you're not threatening physical harm or inciting riots you should be able to speak your mind freely regardless of what a so called "friend" thinks. Obviously this guy here was sane and didn't violate any laws, so if the cops had been forced to get a warrant, rather than just showing up at people's houses and dragging them away like they've been doing, they might have noticed this was nothing.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I for one love our Government and everyone who runs it.
I believe they know what's best for me and do not question their authority over me.
I tell my friends the same.
I will tell my Doctor the same.
All those who question our governments intentions and good will toward humanity are ungood.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

It's our old friend 'acmpnsfal' (what a catchy name), spouting his usual rubbish. How does one "show signs of being mentally unstable" and WHO gets to decide that? Why, the employees of the GOVERNMENT. How very convenient! He DOES need a gun, because every person has the right to own a gun, unless you think 'thought crime' is a REAL crime.
Of course we "distrust the mental health field" because it consists of a bunch of shills for pharmaceutical companies who have no understanding of even the most basic of human emotions- especially their own.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
I for one love our Government and everyone who runs it.
I believe they know what's best for me and do not question their authority over me.
I tell my friends the same.
I will tell my Doctor the same.
All those who question our governments intentions and good will toward humanity are ungood.

Well, like Dr Ben Sobel said of Paul Vidie in the movie Analize This....."o what are we trying to do here? Make a well adjusted gangster"? slt.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Logarock because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

HahAHA and you guys think this nut bags guns shouldn't have been taken away? You do realize that if he alluded to any foul harm to the president or his regime that is considered illegal in this country. Take his guns, and give him a Bible that's all he needs anyway. Also why does a good Bible reading man need a gun for anyway? It's against his religion to kill.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

HahAHA and you guys think this nut bags guns shouldn't have been taken away? You do realize that if he alluded to any foul harm to the president or his regime that is considered illegal in this country. Take his guns, and give him a Bible that's all he needs anyway. Also why does a good Bible reading man need a gun for anyway? It's against his religion to kill.

According to the interviewer and based on Jason’s own admission,

he rarely uses the guns to target practice and has little attachment to them. During my interview with Jason, he said that he did not care if he had a gun or not, they are simply not that important to him

So don't make it sound like he was some kind of gun nut looking to harm people. There's no evidence pointing to that. If he had "alluded to any foul harm to the president" he wouldn't be free right now would he? Did you bother reading any of it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join