It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

anyone have bees acting weird where they are

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Ive been noticing some weird bee behaviour where i live. ive seen 3 bees in july walking around on the ground, and they would not fly off, i didnt think to get any video of it though. i find it very odd because ive seen several bees flying around normaly though. im not a huge expert on bees so i wonder if anyone knows what this is

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Lack of seeing count?? haven't seen any bees in central illinois all summer in the city. That is not right to what I usually see.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I haven't seen a bee in about 2 years.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

Here is a good article of why the bees are disappearing.

Link: blog.targethealth.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Nothing unusual about the bees here in the BlueWater area of Michigan - BUT I have seen no wasps for the entire summer...... Usually running away from disturbing them - now I'm just baffled and actually have hunted for them but none. OP What is weird about you saying that they just sit there - - Twice in one day I was filling up two difft bird baths and as I approached on each bird bath was a bird who did not flinch as I approached - I turned the water on (hose sprayer) and still they did not fly ... wasn't till I tried to pet one that it flew - the other waited till I filled the bath ...took a drink and took off...... But Bees ....we have bees like crazy and all is good

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
N. E. Indiana, no bees...only wasps. It is really sad.
We usually have them all over our clover patches,
but this year the kids don't even have to watch where their stepping.
I really wish someone would figure out what is happening to the bees.
~Rev

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I live in Northern Indiana and I have not seen any bees all summer long. Didn't think much about it until I read this.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
NC here. I talked to a local bee keeper, he said there's a parasite that lays its egg inside the bee. When the egg hatches, the larvae eat the bee alive. The bee keepers call them "zombie bees" and apparently at some point the bee does begin to act very strange. Maybe that's what you're seeing?

When I was young, I ran barefoot all summer long and generally had at least 4-5 bee stings.

I still go barefoot, and I'm still outside, but I haven't been stung in years.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Reply to post by GoldenRuled

Thats odd, im only a state away (indiana) and have seen a return in the population of bees in my area. thousands of honeybees have moved into one of my trees, out of all the trees they could of picked they choose the one next to where I park lol.

There are less carpenter bees this year which I guess is a good thing because those guys are annoying.

Cicada killers have increased there population in my area as well, I think ive seen more of them this year than I have in my life.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I have seen four bees in the last 9 years, and I am not kidding, now that is weird.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

The bees are doing weird stuff around here too! Very few bees (especially honey bees) in the spring, almost none in the summer. But even stranger is the fact that three winters in a row (Thanksgiving Day as a matter of fact) when I have gone outside to smoke after eating lunch I've had honey bees land all over my sweater!

I've read about several possible explanations for the strange behavior. Bee viruses, cell phone towers, pesticides, GMO crops, fluctuations in the earth's magnetic field- pick your poison! All I know for sure is that before all this weirdness started I had a yard FULL of honey bees during warm weather (my yard is full of flowering plants and my close neighbor was a bee keeper) and had very few to none during cold weather. About five years ago my neighbor's bees overnight just disappeared. We had the whole neighborhood out looking on their properties for "balls of bees" and they were never found. Same thing happened to several other bee keepers in the area. It's a big mystery. One of the bigger bee "farms" even brought in Dept. of Ag. people and still got no definitive answers.

Except in cases where they actually HAVE bees that they can test and prove that it's virus related I don't think we're going to know for sure until there is more solid research.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Reply to post by connorromanow

Forgot to reply to the op.

I have see carpenter bees act this way, I thought it was a baby but after maybe an hour of me observing it, it got annoyed and flew away. it acted as if it was drunk.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Last week I was talking to a few of my bee friends and they said that honey production was down.. CONSPIRACY???

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The Illinois state fair is going on right now in Springfield. There have always been scores of bees around trash cans. Didn't see a 1. I like getting stung occasionally for arthritis pain so I have been looking.
edit on 17-8-2012 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I have seen more bees this year than I have in years previous. My watermelon patch is thankful. Question; has it been cooler in your area while this is happening. Sudden drops in temperature can cause bees to want to go into hibernation and their bodies slow way down. I saw a whole large group of bees just hanging out in my driveway this spring when the cool weather returned after our early warming in march. Once they all warmed up enough they just got upand flew away. I cannot walk through my garden without bees buzzing everywhere. However. I have yet to see a single wasp this year and I live in an old house (1926) so we usually end up with them living somewhere in here and yet we have seen none. The June bugs were out of control this year, to the point they damaged one of my screens from battering into it so much.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
What I have noticed is the size of the few bees I have seen. They are TINY! I didn't think they were bees at all until, I good a real good look at them and saw the pollen on their legs. They are baby bees not much bigger than a gnat. While I have seen a handful of normal size bees, the majority of bees are so small it has made me wonder if due to the lack of adults the younger ones are having to do all the work to keep the colony alive. They are about 1/4 of the size of adult bee. Has any one seen bees this small in large amounts?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I see bees not flying crawling around til their dead all the time, i think its the heat. Not really anything new tho. Only thing i've seen more of recently is dead birds in random spots.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
In Holland, we got a butterfly collapse kinda, also wasp's are doing bad. Of course the bees is a known story.
I wonder if there is a correlation?
Could be just the weather change, but I have seen (compared with my youth) a steady decline in the years in all of those.

When I was a kid I can remember butterfly's so plenty and all different species as well.
If I see a butterfly now, it's mostly the same kind (small ones with white wings).

edit on 17-8-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Yes. I did see it and I did think it quite strange and sad. I saw a couple incidents about 2 weeks ago. I saw one bee who kept turning in tight circles then flipping over on it's back, then getting back up then turning more circles, then flipping over and doing more circles, and on and on it went. I felt so bad for it and it made me so sad. Another time I just saw one that wasn't flying, just walking on my driveway. I live in upstate New York if that's of any interest. Are you near there?
It just made me so sad.

I just read the whole thread and it makes me feel like crying. I don't know why this just makes me so sad!
edit on 17-8-2012 by Ellie Sagan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

Same here, in addition to what I just posted, I've also noticed not many bees around this year. I just chalked it up to the severe flooding we had last September. Funny thing is, we were told that the flooding would cause us to have more bugs this year, and I haven't seen them so much. Well a lot of spiders actually. Maybe that's why no bugs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join