It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What’s Next for NASA? 10 Wild, Newly Funded Projects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
techland.time.com...-innovative-advanced-concepts-niac-program

its late so i cant write much but im sure you guys in the space forum will enjoy seeing what nasa has in mind for the future.

its such a shame we spend so much money on weapons to keep on earth and kill each other with, when space is such an amazing place and human effort would be better spent exploring it.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Enjoyed the list, especially the bit about Europa.

I wish humanity would widely recognize the need to develop our space program. The probability of surviving as a species increases exponentially if we are not confined to Earth explicitly.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MassOccurs
Enjoyed the list, especially the bit about Europa.

I wish humanity would widely recognize the need to develop our space program. The probability of surviving as a species increases exponentially if we are not confined to Earth explicitly.

i dont really think we will survive as a species from the history we have made on earth so far.

but i sure would love some amazing pictures from venus, europa, pluto (which i think are coming soon) and any other amazingly beauitful corner or space in the universe.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

Well, yeah I guess eventually extinction is inevitable. But I would hesitate to assume the humanity of today is an accurate representation of the humanity 50, 100, or 1,000 years from now.

I'd say this is a pretty critical time in terms of the fate of the species.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
That was pretty interesting, hope at least one tenth of it goes live somtime in the future.

Thanks for the headsup.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I'm of the firm belief that we as a species need to put a lot of effort into out space program. It's quite literally the only way to stave off extinction. At some point a massive comet or asteroid will threaten Earth. There is no way around it. Without continually advancing our space program there will be no way to defend ourselves.

Say we just get lucky, and don't ever have to deal with Earth getting hit by anything life-ending. Eventually we'll loose our moon, the sun will swell and burn our planet to a crisp before eventually swallowing us up all together. Before that happens there is still the big threat of running out of resources or poisoning the planet too much to be habitable.

There is no limit to the reasons why we NEED to get off this rock eventually, and the sooner the better I say. We need continued research and development if we ever hope to accomplish this. One step at a time, steady advancement HAS to happen. So I'm incredibly happy NASA still has some plans for the future.

The only other option is giving up and resigning to a fate of extinction.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I think they need to start seriously thinking about a Titan rover mission. One that could explore the shorelines of Titan's many ethane/methane lakes.

edit on 8/14/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

I think they need to start seriously thinking about a Titan rover mission. One that could explore the shorelines of Titan's many ethane/methane lakes.

edit on 8/14/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

i like the idea of a boat probe as mentioned in the article.

maybe china will do something like this someday. the usa has only been draining money from space programs.

join