It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Howard wins reelection in Australia.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
John Howard won his fourth consecutive term in office as Australia's Prime Minister. The conservative US ally in the Iraq war won mostly on his domestic record of the greatest growth in the Australian economy in a generation.

www.spacedaily.com...

Your thoughts?

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
He focused on the domestic issues, which was the smartest thing he could've done, instead of the opposition, which put more attention on Iraq, Howard went for education, and healthcare, and it seems the voters paid more attention to that one. He seems like a solid leader, any Australians wish to comment?

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Howard duped Australians in the previous election with lies about Afghani refugees throwing their children overboard while under arrest on boats approaching the mainland.

This time he duped Australians through the hip pocket nerve, claiming that a Labor-led government would increase mortgage interest rates.

There is no logical development of policy in that. Just cynicism and playing on voters' gullibility and fear. Welcome to the 51st state of the USA.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Well to tell you the truth I thought the results would be much closer. Unfortunately, it looks like he will have full control of the senate. As usual, he has stated that his re-election is a mandate.

The first thing he wants to do now is abolish anti-dismissal laws that protect workers. He has been trying to get the bill passed for years. I'm sure the Liberal voters are overjoyed.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Dont we already have a thread on the Australian election?

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I don't know much about Australian domestic issues, but from what I have read, Australia is enjoying one it's most impresive economic periods in history.

As they say, money talks.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
Dont we already have a thread on the Australian election?

I didn't see one.

If a mod wants to move/lock this thread then please do.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The only goodthing that has happened from the election is the Greens jumped in their votes which is good.... other than that its dissapointing and it seems that Howards dirty campaign worked well... looks like he;s been getting some tips from his mate in the white house

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
GREAT VICTORY for John Howard and the coalition
He is easily the far superior leader. As for a scare campaign, give the Australian people more credit.
Only the 2nd time in Oz history that an encumnent governement has increased its majority twice. People saw straight through the Labour BS, well all except the uneducated.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I find it interesting that a man who not only is conservative, but a full supporter of President Bush, won not just election, but re-election in Australia as Prime Minister, but this story is virtually buried in the U.S. Why?

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I find it interesting that a man who not only is conservative, but a full supporter of President Bush, won not just election, but re-election in Australia as Prime Minister, but this story is virtually buried in the U.S. Why?

Because the US people have no interest in whats happening on the other side of the planet, unless your troops are there causing mayhem. I dont expect the USA knows about the indonesian elections that were on recently either, even though indonesia's president will be playing a big role to stamp out terrorists in the country...

Did you even hear about the Afghanistan election held the same day as the Aussie ones? What about he controversy of a rigged election in favour of Karzai (every candidate but Karzai is crying foul)... i havent seen anything about it on here so i guess you media didnt want to let you know how corrupt the democracy in Afghanistan really is...

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
As Paul Keating deftly put it, Australia is the arse end of civilization.

Have you noticed yet how many people claim little knowledge of Australia, supposedly a leading ally to the US?

For the "uneducated", try really hard with i-n-c-u-m-b-e-n-t.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
American Mad Man said: "I don't know much about Australian domestic issues, but from what I have read, Australia is enjoying one it's most impresive economic periods in history. "

I wouldn't be surprised if that was indeed the case, and that Howard won more because he focused on domestic business than because of the war on Iraq... although I don't know much about Australian politics right now (Australians, please correct me if I'm wrong).

An interesting parallel this reminds me of is that although he'd signed a controversial free trade agreement with the United States, Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney won a landslide victory in 1988 because the economy was booming...

So I do agree, American Madman - money talks.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
As Paul Keating deftly put it, Australia is the arse end of civilization.

Have you noticed yet how many people claim little knowledge of Australia, supposedly a leading ally to the US?

Wow you are really smart
how long did it take you too look that up

Once again to JH congratulations.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   

instead of the opposition, which put more attention on Iraq,

Iraq wasn't an issue. Partly down to the sympathetic-to-Liberal media, partly because there was no further electoral gain to be made out of it.

It was all about domestic issues. Howard won because he's a more practised, skilfull and cynical politician (they call it pork barrelling and wedge politics), and because he happens to be presiding over an economy that's in good shape. Political and ethical issues don't get a look in when people's jobs and incomes are either on the line (Tasmanian timber industry) or secure. That suggests that people make a choice between ethics and economy - but the fact is that for a large number the only consideration is whether or not they're well off. Howard can afford to disregard minority people and concerns.

(That is a laugh, the idea that Howard focused on education.
)

If Latham wants to win the next election, he's going to have to be consistenly and insistently on message about his ideas and vision for the country, so he's not forced to play politics right at the end. The distinction between Labor and Liberal is not so great that he can afford to do that. It was frankly a stupid campaign by Labor, from what I could tolerate paying attention to.

If Assemblies of God aka Family First gain the balance of power in the Senate (I don't think they will; it'll be close, but the final Victorian quota will be filled by a Green), it'll be an interesting few years. As it is, the Libs may not find it too hard to get their bills through.

[edit on 11/10/04 by Grimnebulin]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I have a feeling the FTA with the USA will be a bad thing for Australia... hopegully that will cause the Liberals to be booted out of office next time around...

the funny thing is, the liberal party isnt liberal at all... they're actually quite conservative...

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Wow you are really smart
how long did it take you too look that up

It was in my head, as a result of some schooling. That existed before the Howard years.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
grimnebulin - I'm curious... is the Australian Labour at the point where the British Labour was in 1993, when John Major won his second mandate? Is there a "New Labour" and an Australian Tony Blair in the making?

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
grimnebulin - I'm curious... is the Australian Labour at the point where the British Labour was in 1993, when John Major won his second mandate? Is there a "New Labour" and an Australian Tony Blair in the making?

Frankly NO, although labour likes to believe it's Latham.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimnebulin

Iraq wasn't an issue

The only time I heard any mention of Iraq was in an interview with liberal candidate Joe Hockey who was adamant that Saddam had WMD's and how we should be proud of our involvement in the "liberation" of the Iraqi people.

Originally posted by Masked Avatar

Good point. But then again, Bush failed to acknowledge this in both debates when thanking the allies involved in the war.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join