It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was God doing before creation and why did he wait an eternity to create the Universe.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

But what if the infinite 1's are going in a circle?

edit on 1-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Funny that you mention that.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by circlemaker

I mentioned it because, first of all, if you take twenty 1's and put them in a circle, you technically have an infinite number of 1's because the line of 1's is unending. Thinking outside the box, so to speak. And before I continue to the second point, think of this: if we only see a small part of that circle, wouldn't we continue counting those ones up unto infinity, because we never realize we're going in circles? Comparable to life, I think.

So, second of all, what is the relevance of that image? Please explain it to me.

edit on 2-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It's a trigonometric representation of the numbers between 1 and infinity along with their reciprocals (numbers between 1 and 0). The white quarter-circle is where each number is multiplied by it's reciprocal, which results in 1.

A (quarter) circle of infinite 1s.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

What's the application in this context? Or is it just a pretty trick with numbers?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

What's the application in this context? Or is it just a pretty trick with numbers?

It has applications in trigonometry. The purple line describes tangent (as measured from the top of the white circle). The blue half-circle describes cosine (as measured from 0). Beyond that it helps us to connect math/geometry to the fundamental forces of nature.

When you mentioned "an infinite amount of 1s going in a circle" it what reminded me of that image. I was showing my perspective of how I understand your statement using a diagram I had previously created.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

My "infinite 1's in a circle" analogy was based on the understanding that if you don't see the rest of the circle, you could have twenty 1's and still think it's an infinite number because the line never ends.

It's basically a poke at the way we look at life. Since we have blinders on most of the time, we think we're making progress but really we're going in circles. And because we think we're making progress, we continue to go in circles until the circle breaks, we realize what we're doing, or we just give up.

See?

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join