It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney to Olympians: "you didn’t get here solely on your own power"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Oh no.,,,,"here comes the new boss - same as the old boss??"

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by liquiddrewl

Not sure any of that made much sense, but here I'll try and respond all the same.

Romney is an asshat, because he BELIEVES IN and AGREES WITH the statement Obama made, but he has NO actual beliefs to run on, so instead he runs against ANYTHING his opponent says, even if he AGREES with it.

Thus, asshat.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

You know exactly what my challenge was -- to dissect the quote in support of your criticism of the quote. I assume you have a problem with the quote. Why would you create a thread about what he said in regards to Olympians and then turn it into a soapbox for you to talk about the tactics Romney uses?

This thread is still about the title, "Romney to Olympians: "you didn’t get here solely on your own power"" and it should be locked and a new thread started if you want to discuss Romney's campaign tactics.

You're trolling.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I don't understand the outrage (from either side)?

There is a reason why athletes frequently thank, and attribute their success to teachers, coaches, trainers, parents, team-mates, etc. Because they know how important they were.

Now often do you see a CEO thank his teachers, factory workers, accountants, police officers, or the people who wrote his school books?

Neither achieved success on their own. All of them had help and support, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
edit on 27-7-2012 by Whipfather because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
hahah

Romney is such an idiot. He said the same exact thing Obama did but to Olympians.

“You Olympians, however, know you didn’t get here solely on your own power. For most of you, loving parents, sisters or brothers encouraged your hopes,” he said after praising the competitors in footage unearthed by NBC News. “Coaches guided, communities built venues in order to organize competitions. All Olympians stand on the shoulders of those who lifted them. We’ve already cheered the Olympians, let’s also cheer the parents, coaches and communities.”

Obama, speaking in Roanoke, Va., on July 13, came to a similar rhetorical conclusion.

“Look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own.… If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help,” Obama said. “There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business – you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

articles.latimes.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas1
So, I guess no one wants to point out the fact that Romney said this back in 2002 before Obama had his gaffe?

Seems like they either had the same speech writer or someone is stealing material from the other. However, I do agree that they are probably both cut from the same cloth.

articles.latimes.com...
edit on 27-7-2012 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

Umm.. Speaking strictly for myself (wipes a little egg off face..) I had assumed the thread title and OP was current. Not 2002. Err.... Ooops.

I suppose the better part of my first comment was relevant then too though, keeping politics out of the games is a nice thing to show in leadership. Maybe others would follow? No one tries so we'll never know.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Yes, that is what I think. Kinda sad that I would have to spell it out for you. I think celebrities just need to go suck a tailpipe. At least then they would be truly entertaining.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

The Mayor of London...called out Mr. Romney on his comments; and he was offended.

When I was at the gym earlier today...I had the news on...and they showed a headline in a British newspaper that says: "Mitt the Twit!"...that made me laugh.

Also...Mitt made a statement and spoke of an organization that he (supposedly) has met with in England called (MI6). Does anyone know anything about (MI6)?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

The Mayor of London...called out Mr. Romney on his comments; and he was offended.

When I was at the gym earlier today...I had the news on...and they showed a headline in a British newspaper that says: "Mitt the Twit!"...that made me laugh.

Also...Mitt made a statement and spoke of an organization that he (supposedly) has met with in England called (MI6). Does anyone know anything about (MI6)?

I am assuming you're quite young.

MI6 is the British version of the CIA. MI is where Misson Impossble came from and is the home of James Bond.

MI actually stands for Military Intelligence and deals with foreign intelligence issues.

MI5 is internal and is the British equivalent of the FBI.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

Yes, that is what I think. Kinda sad that I would have to spell it out for you. I think celebrities just need to go suck a tailpipe. At least then they would be truly entertaining.

Then you think wrong.

Go read the entire speech. He, like most rarional people, think successful people have help to succeed.

He was simply saying something very non-controversial and NOT anti-Athlete (he was running the Olympics at the point); everyone who is a success has help, don't forget the people and governments and society that helped, and sacrificed, so you could achieve success.

Pro-athlete and pro-help and pro-society and pro-government.

Anti-2012 Romney though.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The second quote is from a few weeks ago.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Quit trying to bait me into an argument just because you feel like arguing. All you're doing is mincing words, and if I may be so blunt, you're starting to p ss me off.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Until we start letting athletes settle wars and political conflicts, it just some sports guys adding nothing to the world much other than sports records. The people behind them do make some good cash though.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

EXACTLY the same speech............no difference,,a cop out is voting for either Obama or Romney..

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by avatard

Considering there's no REAL alternative, well, people are left with little in the way of viable options..

I won't vote for a Libertarian, just because they're not Obama or Romney...

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

ahhhh poor you

Are you getting pissed off because someone disagrees with you

Used to people just capitulating to your shoddy points of view, because you get all aggressive and aggrieved?

Tough.

Romney was in no way bashing athletic exceptionalism. Go read the whole speech or watch the video for the context.

In fact, I'll help you out. Here's what he said, right before his "bashing of Olympians" comment:

“Tonight we cheer the Olympians, who only yesterday were children themselves,” Romney said. “As we watch them over the next 16 days, we affirm that our aspirations, and those of our children and grandchildren, can become reality. We salute you Olympians – both because you dreamed and because you paid the price to make your dreams real. You guys pushed yourself, drove yourself, sacrificed, trained and competed time and again at winning and losing.”

Then he said:

"You Olympians, however, know you didn't get here solely on your own power,” said Romney, who on Friday will attend the Opening Ceremonies of this year’s Summer Olympics. “For most of you, loving parents, sisters or brothers, encouraged your hopes, coaches guided, communities built venues in order to organize competitions. All Olympians stand on the shoulders of those who lifted them. We’ve already cheered the Olympians, let’s also cheer the parents, coaches, and communities. All right! [pumps fist].”

So when you say:

What's your problem? The guy may be an asshat, but he's right. People have entirely too much respect for individuals that, technically, don't even work for a living. Their entire life would consist of training. This is not something that makes them worthy of your respect outright. This whole celebrity culture makes me sick. Let them work like the rest of us.

..you are quite obviously not understanding his point, but instead twisting it (without bothering to check the context - big surprise) to suit your ideology.

So, If you want me to just agree with you, just because you're annoyed, tough.
edit on 28-7-2012 by longlostbrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I am surprised anyone there listened to Mitt. His words don't mean anymore then the guy on the street corner.

edit on 7/28/2012 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Fox admits Romneys ad was a big ol' lie:

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

You need to provide a link showing that he did indeed say that and what the context was.

Anyone who thinks Romney is an 'asshat' for saying this must also think that Obama is an 'asshat' for saying the same thing but with business. If you don't ... then you are partisan hack.

As I've been saying ... Romney/Obama = same/same

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

You need to provide a link showing that he did indeed say that and what the context was.

Anyone who thinks Romney is an 'asshat' for saying this must also think that Obama is an 'asshat' for saying the same thing but with business. If you don't ... then you are partisan hack.

As I've been saying ... Romney/Obama = same/same

Iinks are in the thread and google is your friend

And btw: they aren't the same. Did Obama create an ad showing Romney saying people need help and use it to attack Romney as anti-business?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join