It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rise in temperatures and CO2 follow each other closely in climate change

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
]

The greatest climate change the world has seen in the last 100,000 years was the transition from the ice age to the warm interglacial period. New research from the Niels Bohr Institute at the University of Copenhagen indicates that, contrary to previous opinion, the rise in temperature and the rise in the atmospheric CO2 follow each other closely in terms of time. The results have been published in the scientific journal, Climate of the Past.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!

It just sickens me, the leaders talk while Rome burns...

It had previously been thought that as the temperature began to rise at the end of the ice age approximately 19,000 years ago, an increase in the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere followed with a delay of up to 1,000 years. "Our analyses of ice cores from the ice sheet in Antarctica shows that the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere follows the rise in Antarctic temperatures very closely and is staggered by a few hundred years at most," explains Sune Olander Rasmussen, Associate Professor and centre coordinator at the Centre for Ice and Climate at the Niels Bohr Institute at the University of Copenhagen

But its just Earths natural cycles the deniers will say....

The global temperature changed naturally because of the changing solar radiation caused by variations in the Earth's orbit around the Sun, the Earth's tilt and the orientation of the Earth's axis. These are called the Milankowitch cycles and occur in periods of approximately 100,000, 42,000, and 22,000 years. These are the cycles that cause the Earth's climate to shift between long ice ages of approximately 100,000 years and warm interglacial periods, typically 10,000 – 15,000 years. The natural warming of the climate was intensified by the increased amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. "What we are observing in the present day is the mankind has caused the CO2 content in the atmosphere to rise as much in just 150 years as it rose over 8,000 years during the transition from the last ice age to the current interglacial period and that can bring the Earth's climate out of balance,"

But the Sun is driving the weather, its total irradiance has increased, increasing the temps of ALL the planets...

Here is the RAW data, show me the increase in irradiance. Show me the sytem wide planetary temps increase.

I think it is already too late.

We will reap what we have sown.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Why is it that the big scares always mean big profits for companies connected to governments?

Because it's a scam that's why.

It gets hotter, it gets cooler, gets hotter, gets cooler... etc etc etc

Always has always will.
The only thing new about it, are some crafty rich little bastards out there now trying to make the average Joe feel guilty for having to drive 50km to work every day, and add to that taxing him for it when he's already struggling to make ends meat...

edit on 24-7-2012 by HIWATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Although i do not doubt that humans have had an minute effect, then i highly doubt that humans are the main cause of rising temperature.

As the article identified, all planets are heating up at the moment, we just have a double whammy of CO2 and natural cycle.

Also, humans are a minute producer of CO2 compared to nature (Everything that decomposes which includes all the leaf's which decompose in the winter, the ocean releases CO2 when heated also every time a volcano puffs an immense amount of CO2 is released)
edit on 24/7/12 by WiseThinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I like your nickname, not your thread.

Yes CO2 and temperature are linked. No, CO2 does not "drive" temperature in any way, it follows.

Warmism has been disproved with every ludicrous claim, don't fall for it, more important things to focus on ;-)

peace

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by WiseThinker

C02 maybe drastically rising but what we REALLY have to worry about is the METHANE! Right now...Methane that is frozen into a Methane Gel like substance is bubbling up out of Alaskan Lakes as well as this Gel turning to a Gas that was once caught up in the Frozen Siberian Tundra.

The Bottom of our Oceans has massive amounts of the Methane Gel and just a slight increase in Ocean Water Temp. can cause it to turn back into a Gas.

Methane has MANY TIMES the Greenhouse Warming abilities of just C02 and if even a small amount of the total Methane Trapped in Gel form turns to Gas...we are screwed.

Yes...the Planets Climate is Cyclical and yes...Solar activity varies...but not by much. This latest round of Global Warming is MAN MADE and say GOODBYE to the Northern Polar Ice Cap as the U.S. Navy is busy planning defense of these new trade shipping lanes that will soon be available once all the ICE PACK has melted.
Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

It gets hotter, it gets cooler, gets hotter, gets cooler... etc etc etc

Not in the past 400,000 years have co2 levels been this high.

They go up, they go down, a cycle.

The cycle is broken. THEY HAVE NEVER IN 400,000 YEARS BEEN THIS HIGH.

and add to that taxing him for it when he's already struggling to make ends meat...

That doesn't change the facts. And I would have to say IMHO taxing is wrong. It shouldn't be cap and tax. It should just be cap, period.

Hard cap on co2. Fu** the tax.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by WiseThinker

The article says absolutly nothing about all the planets heating up.

Co2 levels have not, in the past 400,000 years, been as high as the time between the Industrial Revolution and now.

Natures release of co2 PALES in comparison.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

Warmism has been disproved with every ludicrous claim, don't fall for it

Theres nothing to 'fall' for, except denial.

The data doesn't lie....

Make sure to scroll ALL the way to the right...

edit on 24-7-2012 by ErEhWoN because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-7-2012 by ErEhWoN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
You know that popular animated gif where a dead horse is getting beaten?

It's a scam perpetrated by rich, self-absorbed, nihilistic, power hungry morons who are only concerned about making money off other people who actually have to WORK for it.

The LIES that have been exposed by those involved (IPCC etc) are well documented.

Even if this WERE a credible threat, the world is going to blow itself apart WAYYY before any kind of climate catastrophe catches up to us.

...sigh... but you go ahead and run around in circles here if you want...

I have nothing further to add.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

The problem of Ocean Levels rising is a BIG ONE as many Large Major Cities around the Planet are located right on the Oceans shore lines. Right now Boston is creating a designed Ocean Tidal Barrier as the water level has risen so much that even a Medium Storm can do much flooding

If you follow the above Temp. and C02 level chart...you will notice right after peaks...there is a drastic decline in Temp. These are the beginnings of ICE AGES as Global Warming will melt so much Fresh Water that the decrease of Heavier Salt Water will cause Ocean Heat Transfering Conveyor Belts...such as the Gulf Stream to stop and this will stop warm water from moving North...thus...ICE AGE.

This is no joke. Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by HIWATT

The problem of Ocean Levels rising is a BIG ONE as many Large Major Cities around the Planet are located right on the Oceans shore lines. Right now Boston is creating a designed Ocean Tidal Barrier as the water level has risen so much that even a Medium Storm can do much flooding

If you follow the above Temp. and C02 level chart...you will notice right after peaks...there is a drastic decline in Temp. These are the beginnings of ICE AGES as Global Warming will melt so much Fresh Water that the decrease of Heavier Salt Water will cause Ocean Heat Transfering Conveyor Belts...such as the Gulf Stream to stop and this will stop warm water from moving North...thus...ICE AGE.

I'm not saying climate change is a lie, I'm saying the people out there trying to make US feel like it's OUR fault are all lying sacks of sh**

Climate is cyclical. Always has been always will.

Seriously. All this crap started with Al Gore.

This is all you need to know about that: newsbusters.org...

nighty night....
edit on 24-7-2012 by HIWATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I'm afraid you are talking to a wall. I think the real fear of the truth is upon some people, and they cannot bear the weight, the burden of this truth.

Its like the wife of a sexual predator, it is easier to deny and live in the safety of the reality that isn't true. Than to face that truth, and wear that burden on you shoulder were many are already weighing them down.

I do not judge them for that. But the data does not lie. Its a slap in the face to all of our realities.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

I believe at this point...we have probably past the Breaking Point of the SALT WATER to FRESH WATER balance. We are without a doubt headed for a period of MASSIVE STORMS as within any closed system...the more energy...ie...Air and Ocean Temp...is introduced...the greater the effect upon normal weather actions.

Just like a Fish Tank...if the Temp. is too warm...the fish die. If there are too many Fish...their own waste poisons the tank and Fish Die. They will die off to a point where balance can be restored...in the Fish Tank...that means allowing time for the filter to elliminate the waste as well as a more 02 in the tank means a cooler tank.

This is very much like our Planet right now. It is a SELF CORRECTING SYSTEM...and it is WE who are in trouble.

Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

reply to post by HIWATT

I'm not saying climate change is a lie, I'm saying the people out there trying to make US feel like it's OUR fault are all lying sacks of sh**

Climate is cyclical. Always has been always will.

Seriously. All this crap started with Al Gore.

I agree with ya bud.

It is very cyclical, and while our presence and habits are certainly not a good thing, the effect of our emissions and nasty nature is closer to negligible when looking at the big picture.

The large scale methane release near Siberia and Greenland poses much more of a threat.

I'm glad that a lot of people "go green", but I can't stand reading that we single-handedly determine the outcome of all of these vicious climate patterns.

I got caught in Al Gore's net when I was younger, but quickly swam away.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Something to keep an eye on for sure, Sub'd up to keep a watch and see where this goes.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

From what i can hear, then Methane is released AFTER the rise in temp right ?
So after it gets warmer, then the Methane gel will turn to gas, hence this is just part of the natural cycle.

If humanity does not survive the coming climate change, so be it, what are you proposing? freezing the methane back down? sending it to space?

And dont worry, the planet and most of her life, will continue long after we die
"Dont worry, the planet is fine, its doing just fine.... now the people however, they are #ed"

Sorry did not see

This is very much like our Planet right now. It is a SELF CORRECTING SYSTEM...and it is WE who are in trouble. Split Infinity

I agree wholly the people of the planet not the planet itself is screwed, and i don't take any special interest in CO2, just pointing out, that nature in a larger scale than us, releases CO2 all the time as well.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

reply to post by ErEhWoN

I believe at this point...we have probably past the Breaking Point of the SALT WATER to FRESH WATER balance. We are without a doubt headed for a period of MASSIVE STORMS as within any closed system...the more energy...ie...Air and Ocean Temp...is introduced...the greater the effect upon normal weather actions.

Just like a Fish Tank...if the Temp. is too warm...the fish die. If there are too many Fish...their own waste poisons the tank and Fish Die. They will die off to a point where balance can be restored...in the Fish Tank...that means allowing time for the filter to elliminate the waste as well as a more 02 in the tank means a cooler tank.

This is very much like our Planet right now. It is a SELF CORRECTING SYSTEM...and it is WE who are in trouble.

Split Infinity

i'm with you two. we're screwed. we've jacked up the cycle to something we can't adapt to fast enough. yes, climate changes in a cycle but we SPED IT UP. there are too many people on this planet unprepared for what is to come.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
At this point in time, I think it's highly unlikely the majority will change their views until it's too late.

You have either people who don't comprehend the science, else believe it must be false because they way governments are trying to mitigate the damage is essentially just another tax.

The former can't be helped, period. You don't get it... you just don't get it. The latter is more of an issue of intuition without adequate deductive reasoning to back it up.

You see the same leaps to hogwash conclusions on a variety of CT related topics. Tragic, but these people will be hard pressed to change their views.

Although the topic is incredibly important, ultimately little can be done because the truth has been thoroughly obfuscated by both political, and corporate interests.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Methane has MANY TIMES the Greenhouse Warming abilities of just C02 and if even a small amount of the total Methane Trapped in Gel form turns to Gas...we are screwed.

It all sounds so dramatic. But I think it's important that we keep a sense of proportion over things. Paleo-climate reconstructions have estimated that the oceans during the last interglacial-period known as the Eemian were some 3C warmer than today. We survived fine, didn't we? All this doom-and-gloom that warmists keep promoting really has no substance in reality. It is post-normal science. That means it is make-believe nonsense. Consider that methane only makes up 0.0004% of the atmosphere (that works out at about 1 molecule in every 500,000 spread evenly throughout the atmosphere). How can 1 molecule significantly heat up 500,000 other molecules around it? It seems completely preposterous to me. I don't think any serious scientist would seriously suggest that methane could ever overheat the globe. Also, it is relatively short-lived in the atmosphere too and is readily broken down into CO2, especially under UV-radiation. So, I see no real cause for alarm.
edit on 24-7-2012 by Nathan-D because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

The data doesn't lie....

How do you know the ice-core data is correct? It contradicts other data. Stomata-data shows atmospheric CO2 as high as 459ppmv during this interglalcial period and chemical-measurements have shown CO2 as high as 440ppmv during 1880. From the research I have done into this subject, it appears to me that the ice-core data underestimates past CO2-levels.
edit on 24-7-2012 by Nathan-D because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join