It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious nutjobs spread the blame for Aurora shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Apparently it is the result of teaching evolution:

The mega-church pastor of the Saddleback Church, Rick Warren, took to Twitter on Friday to express his thought about the recent shooting at an Aurora, Colorado movie theater. Warren blamed the shooting on the teaching of evolution in public science classes:

“When students are taught they are no different from animals, they act like it.”

and/or because America denies hell:

Tens of millions of young people in this culture seem to have no fear of God. It's becoming too commonplace that some frustrated person will go on a killing spree of random people. If they kill themselves, they think it's all over. But that's like going from the frying pan into the fire. Where's the fear of God in our society? I don't think people would do those sorts of things if they truly understood the reality of Hell.

Why does everybody have to try to find some sort of justification for their own bigotry in the lunatic actions a nut-job with too many guns and a bad attitude???

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Believing this the result of secularism or a demonic possesion is no worse than some speculating it was MK Ultra or a purposeful event to promote passage of the UN Gun Treaty

You should read some of the stuff out there...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

A San Diego neighbor of alleged Colorado shooter James Holmes remembers him as a very shy, well-mannered young man who was heavily involved in their local Presbyterian church

LA Times

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
If you got off your hate soapbox and considered how the world has digressed since the new atheism developed and its doctrine of no values you may see the point being made.

People are not taught respect anymore and survival is the priority. Its just the way the world has become now. Are you denying what is in front of your face. Jesus taught place other before ourselves. Thats religion, not what you are moaning about.

Should we as a society ignore the possible reasons for these issues, pretend it doesnt happen and cant be solved.

Hey lets bury our heads in the sand, cool idea.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I wish these butthurt christians fundies would go play in traffic blindfolded. Its funny though that hes blaming this on America becoming increasingly secular when the shooter was a christian.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I don't think God is the one we should be fearing.

It's all these Religious nutcases with people hanging on their every word that are truly scary.

Peace

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Reply to post by borntowatch

Lol, New athiesm doesnt teach anything and has nothing to do with an individuals value system. Its just a lack of belief in a god. Thats it. Plus there are actually athiest organization who are very charitable and help those in need without thinking they will be rewarded by sky daddy. Look into secular human thanks.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Ohh yes and NO ONE has killed anyone in the name of god before right? These nutcases have no ground to stand on. Look at all the religious wars and other mass killing in gods name. Killing in gods name really? He needs you to do his dirty work? Can't handle his own business? The sad thing is there were people listening and nodding their stupid head thinking " wow this guy nailed it on the head lets organize a book burning"

He was educated and that in itself is a sin with the uneducated hollow headed folks that listen to this garbage. Smart is a bad thing in America if you ask "REAL" Americans. You can tell they are REAL Americans cause they have a American flag sticker on their truck and KNOW college and reading is for elite type liberal A holes who want to kill the baby Jesus.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Well, if you read any of the 1000 threads already posted on ATS the members of this site are doing exactly the same thing. They are trying to tie together any little piece of information to make it a much larger, more sinister conspiracy. In a way, they are living in the same fantasy world as the shooter. All kinds of groups are using this tragedy to promote their own sick agendas.
edit on 22-7-2012 by zerotime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
If you got off your hate soapbox and considered how the world has digressed since the new atheism developed and its doctrine of no values you may see the point being made.

Ah - nice strawman and begging the question, plus plain BS - ther is no such thing as "... new atheism developed and its doctrine of no values.."....but I know how limited religious types are when they cannot see that it is possible to have values without believing in god.

People are not taught respect anymore and survival is the priority. Its just the way the world has become now. Are you denying what is in front of your face. Jesus taught place other before ourselves. Thats religion, not what you are moaning about.

What is right in front of my face is a computer screen - I don't see jesus anywhere. apparently it is also religion to kil people for various infractions of he various religious codes.

And to blame everyone else's different belief's or lack of beliefs for a guy going nuts - which is what I am ACTUALLY moaning about - stupid blame games for proping up self serving mythologies. That is religion too.

Should we as a society ignore the possible reasons for these issues, pretend it doesnt happen and cant be solved.

Sorry - I missed the bit where I said anything of hte sort.

Isn't that exactly what religion does - except the sand is a book or a belief, and buring means "ignore reality and believe my religion can solve everythign when it has never managed to do so in the past"?

lol - and of course you see religion as the solution? Never mind that it has never solved anything in its existence, and that 1 definition of stupidity is carrying on the same and expecting a different result?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Why does everybody have to try to find some sort of justification for their own bigotry in the lunatic actions a nut-job with too many guns and a bad attitude???

Because we don't know his side of the story yet , on motives , actions, and what happened that terrible day . Just like on ATS everyone has an opinion what went wrong ,

Just like the masses everyone wants to point blame somewhere else.

Why? Because when the facts do come out , atleast one of them can see "SEE I TOLD YOU SO" .

Then they will feel like a prophet , and start saying other silly things , and tools will follow along thumping their drums . lol

How about we all chill and wait for the evidence and facts to come out , before painting the picture :p , yea i know no patience for that , lets let our imaginations run wild , and play darts in the dark

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Dear Aloysius the Gaul,

Hi, again. There's no doubt that there are religious nutjobs in the world. But remember that Colorado has "shall issue" concealed carry gun laws, and many do concealed carry. If someone in the theatre had fired back, I think it would have reduced the death and injury toll. Why did no one fire back? Because no one in the theatre had a gun. Why didn't they have guns? Because the Cinemark theatre chain has a policy of not allowing guns into the theatre.

Sure, our society discounts the spiritual side, but I don't think that was a major factor here.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

How has atheism developed a "doctrine of no values"? If you are indicating they are not following your Jesus's values, then I'm a bit confused.

I know many atheists who demonstrate Jesus-like charity and tolerance far more faithfully than any church I've ever been to.

There is nothing wrong with somebody following the example of Jesus but even an atheist can do that. Or is your problem a lack of worship? If so, how does "worship" create societal values that a secularist can't possess?

Not to mention this guy was a Christian so... there's that. If atheists wanted to follow your logic, they would start blaming your religion for this shooting.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Dear Aloysius the Gaul,

Hi, again. There's no doubt that there are religious nutjobs in the world. But remember that Colorado has "shall issue" concealed carry gun laws, and many do concealed carry. If someone in the theatre had fired back, I think it would have reduced the death and injury toll. Why did no one fire back? Because no one in the theatre had a gun. Why didn't they have guns? Because the Cinemark theatre chain has a policy of not allowing guns into the theatre.

Sure, our society discounts the spiritual side, but I don't think that was a major factor here.

Gun laws weer not my point.

My point is religious nutjobs saying it is all the fault of various things that are "religiously different" from what they believe in.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Reply to post by seedofchucky

I dont think this is a case where finding out new information will change anything. Its not people are saying for a fact he did it because (insert reason). This is more people trying to critique our society and find a way to make sense out of tragedy.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I think the context of the source matters a great deal, and this is a reply to the op before reading down the whole thread.

This is where that guy screach...err..I mean preaches, and that is what they call a Church. Ahem... It was a monstrosity to see in person as a kid and I'm still apt to cringe on seeing that. All the needy people...and that is what Church funds are used for. Anyway....

Please don't lump televangelists and demagogues in with the rank 'n file Christian. I know many Christians and come from a background of devout Catholic. This guy is a salesman, not a 'Man of the Book', as it were.

All my opinion...so if the Crystal Palace comes to sue..it was all just opinion.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Anyone who has a "mega" church is no christian, those things are all profit machines...

The expenditures of these churches would make their members blush...

and the reason they make these type of inflammatory statements is to attract free publicity...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Meanwhile, in the real world, crime rates are largely falling in nations where your dreaded Atheism is on the increase, pedo Catholic Priests are protected from prosecution by their superiors who buried evidence, Islamic extremists slaughter innocent people to force their will, a Jewish state steals land and imprisons an entire population, American Christians proclaim the rights of all as long as you're not gay while preaching one homophobic line of their "sacred text and conveniently ignoring all the other little tidbits they find a little too inconvenient to stick to like not wearing clothes woven from two types of materials...

Remind me again about "values" and "soapboxes"...

People are people, they can believe what they want to believe. The problem arises when the religious want to force their will on the rest of society and preach their own beliefs into the ears of others, or force their will into law.

Spirituality and belief is not dangerous, organized religion and arrogance combined is. Most of the violence in this wold is driven be one religious group being deluded enough to think that they are "special" and more "righteous" than others.

The truth is that those same people who think they are superior to others because they believe in a brand of religion are actually the most weak, easily led and easily influenced by others. They are not capable of original thinking, they need a leader to follow and a book of instructions (which they still selectively choose from).

On the whole, I long for the day when Atheism rules and these ridiculous indoctrinations end. Maybe then we'll be closer to having genuine peace on Earth and genuine freedom from religious zealous who want nothing less than total control.
edit on 22-7-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Dear Aloysius the Gaul,

You're very correct, and I agree, but it is a strange position to take. Please allow me to change my position a bit, as I may have misunderstood you.

Once one says that they are religious nutjobs, why even listen to anything they say? For that matter why listen to anything any type of nutjob has to say?

But are they nutjobs? One seems to be saying that society has cheapened human life until it's worth no more than an animal's. My mind goes to murders in Chicago, Detroit, LA, anywhere. Sometimes it's to get a pair of shoes, or because one objects to the color of clothing another is wearing, or just for the lulz. I don't think he's far wrong there.

Another seems to be saying that since we're weakening belief in an afterlife with possible punishments, we have removed one more limit (however small) to peoples' bad behavior. You might disagree, but someone can hold that position and not be a nutjob.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I kinda like watching how the educated and anointed public servant talking heads give their EXPERT OPINION on matters like this on reputable seemingly of sound mind mainstream media venues.

You can watch how those pesky memetics spread, multiply, infect, adapt, and morph. Like those pesky replicators on Stargate SG1 and Atlantis series.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join