It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man of Steel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

I do apologise. I was just trying to explain that these movies (particularly Superman and Spiderman) are merely propoganda tools for the US.

I did mention that i was surprised how the public continue to find the same stories repackaged entertaining. To me it just illustrates how dumb the public have become.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

I'll admit we didn't need another Spider-Man movie. But as a Supes fan, I want them to make a good modern Superman film, which they have not done. Hopefully, as a fan of the character, this movie will be good.

That's my viewpoint. I don't care about the conspiracies or whatever, I just like comic book movies.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
reply to post by OrphenFire

I do apologise. I was just trying to explain that these movies (particularly Superman and Spiderman) are merely propoganda tools for the US.

I did mention that i was surprised how the public continue to find the same stories repackaged entertaining. To me it just illustrates how dumb the public have become.

Everybody knows about the propaganda in movies and even in comic books back in the day but if you are aware of it and don't form your fears or beliefs based on them, why can't we just enjoy movies as entertainment?

You say that it's the same thing repackaged etc.. but that just dilutes the fact that Superman, Batman, Spiderman etc. have had thousands of different story arc's that all have a different take on their characters for 75 years. That is a lot of story writing that hasn't been seen on TV or in movies and so why shouldn't they do that?

That's why these characters are being reinvented for generation after generation, it's because they are timeless and will still be in the public mind long after we die.
edit on 22-7-2012 by mclarenmp4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I like the Superman story almost as much as I like the Batman story.
It's a real shame how bad Returns was because that turned so many people off Superman.
I have faith that this is in good hands. I like the Batmans Nolan hass done (not seen 3 yet) and 300 and watchmen are both awesome movies. I don't think a comic book movie has ever been in better hands.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
can anyone explain to me why they like superman as a character?
ive never liked superman and found the character to be kind of over the top and ridiculous but i really would like to hear from other points of view because i do feel like im missing out on something

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum

Have to admit I was disappointed that Spiderman started from the beginning again, but these movies aren't made for the same people to watch. Every generation should have the stories made over again, but with the special effects of their time.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
can anyone explain to me why they like superman as a character?
ive never liked superman and found the character to be kind of over the top and ridiculous but i really would like to hear from other points of view because i do feel like im missing out on something

Alright, i'll bite.
It's the classic tale of good vs. evil.
Superman is an alien.
He doesn't have to help humans, he has his own life.
He could be the most powerful villain in the world, but chose to help.
Who wouldn't want to be able to shoot lasers from their eye's.

People often comment that Superman is too powerful but he would sacrifice himself for the greater good.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

except for the alien part and even that applies in some cases that sounds like almost every other super hero ever
superman is too overpowered
you dont see spiderman wrapping the moon in web and smashing his enemies with it like gigantic mace or green lantern forming an entire universes with his ring or iron man with an adamantium suit that shoots 500tw lasers
the only way for superman to be even somewhat entertaining is to have villains that are just as over the top as he is and i find it very very difficult to be drawn into a story when you basically have a character with x ray vision laser eyes freeze breath super speed flight super strength and invulnerability (able to fly so fast he can travel back in time) vs for example someone like darkside who is revered as a god
its absurd and they make the character completely unrealistically good it makes you feel ill theres almost no character growth from what ive seen of
kind of makes you all too aware youre reading a comic book or watching a movie.... again very hard to get drawn into
edit on 23-7-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mclarenmp4

Humm looks ok so far not really a big superman fan but i might see it honestly the movies I am looking foward next year are Pacific rim witch is a moive about giant robots figting giant monsters and 47 Ronin Witch is about samurais, and Keanu Reeves going on adventures

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sirhumperdink

I have to admit the average Superman story is rather formulaic. However, when you give him a great writer he can really shine as a character. Stuff like Jeph Loeb's A Superman for All Seasons, Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman, and Mark Millar's Red Son are some of the best comics ever created. The problem is that most writers ignore his motivations. They focus on the Super part of the character while forgetting that it is the Man part which makes him interesting.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by sirhumperdink

...They focus on the Super part of the character while forgetting that it is the Man part which makes him interesting.
yeah, right

ok...is it just me or does the new crest remind you of a dragon?
doesn't the new costume look kinda scaly too?
c'mon what's the deal here? is this part of conditioning and desensitizing to reptilian aliens?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I have to say the second trailer has peaked my interest. At the same time I realize that this is being directed by Zack Snyder so I'm fully prepared to be disappointed.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I hope this will be better than the major disappointment that the Dark Knight Rises was.

Tralier looks good though I hope they make it as realistic as possible.

I think superhero movies are better when their is a level of realism and plausibilty to them which is why I think The Dark Knight is the greatest superhero/comic book adaptation of all time.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by fadedface

Really, you found TDKR disapointing, oh well.
I and many others are probably hoping for that same level of attention to detail, character and story in MoS.
Infact you/I/we all know that they are going to bring it into the real world as much as possible, I hope that works for them because Supes couldn't be further from "The Real" what with his powers and his OTT enemies.

I am looking forward to it, with the Nolans at the helm it's going to be good, just a matter of how good.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by fadedface
I hope this will be better than the major disappointment that the Dark Knight Rises was.

I think superhero movies are better when their is a level of realism and plausibilty to them which is why I think The Dark Knight is the greatest superhero/comic book adaptation of all time.
wtf r u on

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by reject

Originally posted by fadedface

wtf r u on

I actually agree that "The Dark Knight" is better than "The Dark Knight Rises", but it's still a damn good film.

I don't want to see a real crappy version of Lex Luther again.

<< 1   >>

join