It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Woke Up Gay: Straight man turns gay after stroke! Unbelievable claim?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
When I first read about the story of Chris Birch, I thought it was a joke.

Either that, or Chris always had a gay side that was bound to come out sooner or later.

Even Chris's own partner doesn't believe that "a stroke" made him gay.

Nevertheless, almost all his former friends and even family reject him now, so in that sense he got a fast introduction to the gay world.

Some say it's impossible, while at least one psychiatrist who works with stroke-survivors says it is possible.
One can develop a totally new personality, including a different sexual orientation.

What does ATS say?

I woke up gay - a stroke turned me gay.

When 19-stone rugby player Chris Birch suffered a stroke during a freak training accident, his family feared it would be a life-changing injury.

Yet while his recovery certainly brought about a transformation, it seems to have been in a way no one could have expected.

For when he regained consciousness, the 26-year-old – who was engaged to his girlfriend – claimed he had become gay.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 17-7-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I have heard that some gay men have soft hands ,so i guess this story is possible.
Not up my alley though.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I spose a stroke is the perfect alibi for a straight man to come out,he was always gay know he can blame the stroke and pretend it just happened UNBELEIVABLE alright

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The brain is an amazing organ and brain damage can do some incredible things.

I dont doubt one bit that shifting blood flow or damage from swelling or even a solid "bonk" on the head could yield this result.

People wake up speaking languages not their own. People wake up thinking they're somebody else. People wake up thinking they are several people. Right-handed people become left-handed.

Is sexual orientation really any different from which hand you write with?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Some might think it could not happen, but see the documentary.

It could be entirely possible too.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Wait...

I'm not buying this...I think the stroke was used as an excuse to come out of the closet.

What's next, a knee injury and he's a Republican..?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
The brain is an amazing organ and brain damage can do some incredible things.

I dont doubt one bit that shifting blood flow or damage from swelling or even a solid "bonk" on the head could yield this result.

People wake up speaking languages not their own. People wake up thinking they're somebody else. People wake up thinking they are several people. Right-handed people become left-handed.

Is sexual orientation really any different from which hand you write with?

Different chemicals do different things, some could have strayed into an area that causes a love for penis, who knows.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The idea is that a stroke (or "brain attack") kills several brain connections, and that other connections then take over.
So one personality literally dies, and another is born.
So a bricklayer becomes a great artist.
Most people do not change sexual orientation.
But it has happened.

So now I think all the anti-gay haters are just a stroke away from what they hate.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Oh my hat, that means I could have a stroke and turn straight!

I wondering what that could entail?

But I'd think the chances are remote in any case.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Chris Birch gets flamed from multiple sources, as the press gets hold of the story.

Satire and comedy:

One Minute News:

The foul-mouthed, body-building Hodge Twins (vulgar language):

Nevertheless, most people wish Chris the best, despite some satire.

Some had concerns that Chris "stereotyped" being gay.
After all, there are gay rugby players and very masculine gays too.

However, that's where I'd say he had a change of personality, and being gay is just one aspect of that personality.

And I think what that reveals on sexual orientation might be quite important.

Sexual orientation is just one aspect of what or who we are, however it is not possible to change that in a personality, not until we understand much more on the brain.

Society chooses to make a big issue out of sexual orientation, but it's just one facet of a personality.

If it's the wiring of the brain, then so much nonsense can be scrapped.
All those religious conversion therapies are meant for the trash heap.
Just a big con.

It's just another variation of being human.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I heard about people waking up one day speaking another language or with a different accent
but a straight man turns gay .. wtf

did he saw magic mike or what

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Oh no...don't say that. I have to have knee surgery soon and now I have something else to worry about.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I think it's just crazy and awesome.
Also the other stroke-victims he meets, and some other cases I've read about who became artists and mathematicians after a stroke.
So we have this potential in our heads to become completely different people (although something about the core personality does not change).
How many geniuses and different talents actually lurk inside us?
Few will ever know - and judging on how society reacts, they will be lonely, rather than celebrated.

I guess it is very unsettling.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
A similar case:

A college dropout has been hailed a unique maths genius - after his brain was damaged in a brutal attack by muggers. Jason Padgett, 41, was left concussed after he was ambushed outside a karaoke club and repeatedly kicked in the head. Now, wherever he looks, he sees mathematical formulas and turns them into stunning, intricate diagrams he can draw by hand. He is the only person in the world known to have the skill and experts say it was caused by his head injury. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
An "acquired savant"?

The Jason Padgett story:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I absolutely think its possible ( but dont all you gay-hatin xtians go around trying to cause gays a stroke). WOrking in healthcare for many yrs and dealing with it in my own family... a frontal lobe injury can completely change personality including preferences. Strokes and brain issues can cause someone to truly adopt a different accent! The brain is amazing.

Now stop obsessing over gays everyone. A scary gay may be in the ambulance that saves your life or a loved ones life. A scary gay might be the one who gave blood to save your childs life. A scary gay may do a lot of things, but one thing they cant do us make you "catch the gay" by being decent to them and treat them like human beings.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikelkhall
reply to post by facelift

Oh no...don't say that. I have to have knee surgery soon and now I have something else to worry about.

So I guess we can count on Romney having at least ONE vote, huh?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Not up my alley though.

Careful, if you have a stroke, that may change

I don't buy it for a moment. He was hiding it, consciously or subconsciously, and this just gave him an avenue to come out.

Funny tho, that he does all the image changes that fit the overt gay man... guess having a stroke makes you suddenly want to bleach your hair and stud your lips.

He's full of it lol

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
So now I think all the anti-gay haters are just a stroke away from what they hate.

Ooh and there goes the "I was born this way" theory!

Good stuff, this thread is educational too!

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Many people throughout history have dabbled in 'special substances' and created the most renowned art, music, writing, etc.. People today do the same, but are ostracised.

The brain does indeed hold a lot more than some of us are able to utilise given the burden of every day stress, life, things that hold us back.

A savant who cannot stand to be in public because they cannot stand the overwhelming amount of sensory input, can sit alone in a room and recreate the most detailed rendition of a building they saw. It's all in there. How we access it is turned down to handle the levels of stress and sensory overload we have to contend with daily.

So it's no surprise that people can suddenly become mathematicians, or speak in an accent (I've never heard of someone speaking fluent languages they've never heard of, and I'd hazard a guess that they knew more of the language than they admit to, if this is true) after having brain altering injuries.

But sexuality? I very much doubt it. If it's not in there to start with, then it won't come out after such injury.

I knew a young lad once who was a fitness fanatic, always at the gym. Had a car accident and suffered slight brain trauma, and suddenly he was withdrawn, anti-social, shy, put on weight and became someone completely different to who he was - these are things that are driven by motivation and the ability to see an outcome. He lost that.

THe guy in the OP, was already gay. He just didn't want to admit it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join