It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Time For "Survival Life" Is NOW , People

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

$200 worth of Ramen noodles can last a very very very long time, and even more so if you buy them in bulk online at a few cents per package.

Ramen is also typically full of MSG, and various other forms of potentially carcinogenic additives. I agree with the idea of getting dry noodles, but personally I'd try and get them without any spices, and add my own.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

You see those mushrooms growing in the wild , you know which ones are safe, grab a couple.

Good thread...but... You should never eat mushrooms in a survival situation.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

$200 worth of Ramen noodles is darned near enough for effective ballistic shielding, barricading, or even building an edible survival structure out of the Ramen noodle bricks.

I hate to state the obvious but ramen noodles will not fortify dog poo. You would be better off building your shelter out of chocolate and candy canes.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by edaced4
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

So...gonna just bite the bullet and make what purchases I need to and go for it. Probably gonna go for about 4 days, and see how I am.

a] Think about where you're going. Is it a national park? Is it somewhere a long way away from other people? Get your feet wet, by all means; but don't isolate yourself to the point where you'll be really screwed if something goes wrong. Don't go completely out of your depth. Let someone know where you're going to be, before you go.

b] Think about your level of fitness. Are you up to carrying everything you need? If you're not, you might want to hold off for a couple of weeks (or months) and try getting yourself in better shape, first. Do you have any medical conditions? Can you compensate for them adequately when you're out there, if you do?

c] How much do you know? Do you know about firebuilding, pitching a tent, tying knots etc? I don't know how to get a fire going completely from scratch. If you think you're going to need to know that, it might be a good idea to read up on it.

d] How much have you read about necessary things to take? Yes, there's the bug out bag, but what goes in it? Cooking equipment, a first aid kit, maybe some tools, depending on what you're doing. There's any number of good equipment lists online, which will give you an idea.

petrus4, you must have posted this while I was replying...

answers:

a]someone will know where I am

b] I am pretty fit. I am a smoker, but could probably do without for a few days...wouldn't hurt me...

c] Pretty sure I could build a fire...long as I have something to create a flame. I would def have at least waterproof matches, a lighter, and a flint and steel...and I could learn how to make fire without any of that if the need came about...

d] Isn't "necessary things to take" semi subjective? I honestly don't know...what is more important? Rations? A way too prepare them? Living off the land?

I mean I know I can't be like Les Stroud and be stranded with a piece of rope and a pocket knife in the desert...

Not making light of the situation...I wanna do this for me!
edit on 16-7-2012 by edaced4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

I keep a small pack of herbs and seeds in my survival pack. My theory is this... a little of everything is better than a lot of something. So therefor I carry a small amount of every herb I can find, herbs are of course more useful in survival situations than seeds, as seeds usually take time to grow. A little bit of every herb could not hurt to have, it is as not if you would be using them everyday, but you may need them whenever the situation presents itself, if you know how to use said herbs.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I don't think what your saying is practical for most people. Most people barely have time to shop for groceries let alone go trying to find a rabbit. Like for most who work 40 hrs a week even if they're single they still barely have time for themselves let alone doing all this prepping. I think it's smart to have a bob, a bov, and a bol. But even that is a bit extreme if you ask me.

Here's the challenge if you ask me...

If the shtf, you'd have to be able to last at least 6 weeks on your own. Preferablly 3 months. Hopefully by that time a new g0v deal is set up and working so the utilities come back online and stores reopen. So you'd be okay.

Now lets say that didn't happen. lets say it's an all out cluster fook. The lights aren't coming back on. Well the guy who has a cabin and some supplies, etc would be a bit better off. But unless he's a FULL BLOWN army ranger survival extremeist who's trained for years at this. Then the average cabin goer is only gonna last until his food runs out. He might even catch a few fish and eat some wild berries but he won't know enough to last long term. So he lasts maybe a year. One long cold winter and he's dead. the guy stuck in the city with nothing might even have a better chance. As long as he has a gun and is willing to work, trade, team up with groups, he might very likely be able to make it. but I think that generally most people without a gun and some proper supplies wouldn't make it 1 yr. Those with might make it 2 years. But they'd run out of ammo, they'd run into problems and with no place to stock up they'd likely not make it.

So again I don't really think what your saying is practical for most people. I don't think it's sane either. You're gonna die sometime, all you have to to do is face that fact. Don't give up and if you can make it great, but ultimately you're dead already. So prepare for the afterlife.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Thats why the lone wolf type won't survive. It is better to know and communicate with those who have a similar mind set. Bring something to the party that you can offer up. Become an asset and as I said before, a little of everything is better than having a lot of one particular thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join