It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Surveillance of Cellphones is Skyrocketing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Police Surveillance of Cellphones is Skyrocketing

www.theatlanticwire.com

A Congressional report on the relationship between cellphone carriers and law enforcement agencies shows that the companies are responding to thousands of requests per day from criminal investigators asking for text messages, call records, location data, and other information on customers. The nation's carriers answered 1.3 million requests last year, revealing how cellphone surveillance has now become a routing part of police work.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Looks like Big Brother is getting even bigger. I can understand why agencies would want to monitor the communication of known and suspected criminals and terrorists, but this is what gets my goat......

The report goes on to say....

theatlanticwire.com

The report also concluded the actual number requests is probably much higher (but is under-reported due to bad record-keeping) and the number of customers affected is actually "several times" higher, because a single request can involve multiple callers and numbers. Police can even request a "data dump" for an entire cell tower, asking and getting the names and numbers of anyone who happened to be near a certain location at a certain time of day, even people who aren't suspects.

Even people that aren't suspects....
This makes it sound like we are all suspects in the eyes of our government. Are we all guilty until proven innocent now?

With this and the drones in our airspace, I feel we have lost or are losing are rights one by one, and no one seems to even care as long as we keep getting our "bread and circus".
It is an unequivocal breech of our right to privacy and there should be laws to protect the innocent from this kind of intrusion into our daily lives.

www.theatlanticwire.com

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Reminds me of wiretapping although in 2012 it's become wireless tapping. I've also heard of cases of schools giving out computers and phones to students who didn't have then only to record/survey what those computers and phones were used for ie. history, cookies, downloads etc.

In Canada a hotel is being opened with free Ipad and Iphone to paying customers. They can take it throughout the city and if they lose it have to pay the hotel but the cost of use is covered and the private data is cleared automatically routinely each day. While cellphone monitoring may be up, those in favour of an open internet free from the net of censorship etc are urging those to fear nothing unless you have something to hide.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikemck1976

Looks like Big Brother is getting even bigger. I can understand why agencies would want to monitor the communication of known and suspected criminals and terrorists, but this is what gets my goat......

theatlanticwire.com

The report also concluded the actual number requests is probably much higher (but is under-reported due to bad record-keeping) and the number of customers affected is actually "several times" higher, because a single request can involve multiple callers and numbers. Police can even request a "data dump" for an entire cell tower, asking and getting the names and numbers of anyone who happened to be near a certain location at a certain time of day, even people who aren't suspects.

This makes it sound like we are all suspects in the eyes of our government. Are we all guilty until proven innocent now?

With this and the drones in our airspace, I feel we have lost or are losing are rights one by one, and no one seems to even care as long as we keep getting our "bread and circus".
It is an unequivocal breech of our right to privacy and there should be laws to protect the innocent from this kind of intrusion into our daily lives.

www.theatlanticwire.com

We are living in a 'security state' that has thus been kind enough not to clamp down on us.

If we all fall in line with the prevailing political doctrine and support the status-quo of the elite, there is nothing to hide or fear.

edit on 10-7-2012 by g2v12 because: arrangement

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by g2v12

Originally posted by mikemck1976

theatlanticwire.com

www.theatlanticwire.com

We are living in a 'security state' that has thus been kind enough not to clamp down on us.

If we all fall in line with the prevailing political doctrine and support the status-quo of the elite, there is nothing to hide or fear.

edit on 10-7-2012 by g2v12 because: arrangement

Kind enough not to clamp down on us? The clamp gets tighter with each passing day.
Fall in line? Support the status-quo of the elite?
I hope you mean that in a sarcastic manner. Because if you really mean that statement, it is to late for you my friend.
We should stand up against the status-quo of the elite, fight for what is right, not fall in line like good little sheep.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
many years ago maybe 95 the police in a remote part of scotland tracked me down to the middle of nowhere with my mobile/cellphone .for forgetting to pay a fine i asked the police man how they had done this & he told me it was my phone they tracked & that was in the 90s every railway station has photo recognition cameras in it . a good friend of mine his father is very very high up in the police what they can do in the uk is scary .they already have the right to see phone /email etc etc . we have the highest number of cctv cameras in the world big bros been here for a long time now the police even pose as bin/trash men & collect the rubbish to take away & look through for people that interest them . one day i saw the intel they had on me scary man how much they had on my life / people i mixed with & i am not a criminal / drug dealer type i liked a drink & went a bit jekyl & hyde on them beating up cops once or three times

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Wouldn't a text message require a warrant, or has that requirement been removed. Not saying they are not getting a warrant if required though.

Basically cell phones have become a device for police to follow movements or locate people.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I wonder how much this reporting adds to a cell phone bill. The telcos have to be adding the cost of labor, etc onto the cost of service.
edit on 7/10/2012 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The world we are living in IS already the NWO since 1999. Nobody gets out.
And no one will do something about it. No one. Because everyone is selfish, coward and lazy.
I am hearing / reading it every day; oh this is it, oh now it's going to happen, oh this is really too much, oh this is the last straw, oh now they did-it, oh this is another step towards the NWO, oh another reason for revolution, oh now we are much closer to a true dictatorship, oh we should get together and save what's left ( ... )
There is nothing left. Bullcrap. Emptiness. Delusion.
Do you really want to hear what you are going to do about it when the Shyte Hits The Fan ?
NOTHING. You will suffer, starve, cry and die.
You want proof ? Look at yourselves. The Shyte has already passed the Fan.
And every single one of us is full of it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Wouldn't a text message require a warrant, or has that requirement been removed. Not saying they are not getting a warrant if required though.

Basically cell phones have become a device for police to follow movements or locate people.

Warrant or not, I think they just do what they want, when they want, and how they want to do it and they deal with the red tape and their actions after the fact.
Cell phones are the governments dream come true, a Low-Jack that we willingly except, pay for ourselves, and have on or near our persons at all times. I'm not a criminal and have nothing to worry about, but I have not owned a cell phone for over six years, and I live off the grid as much as I can. I have even taken the steps to make my computer as untraceable as I can.

edit on 10-7-2012 by mikemck1976 because: Words

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The data dump for a specific area, and not a specific caller is outrageous and scary. It makes me very angry.
The other day I was walking down the street and I picked a loose hair off my jacket and just let it float to the ground, so, if anything bad happened in that area, I would have left my d.n.a. AND a 'fingerprint' left by my phone.
The people who are doing this snooping are really sad bar stewards, it will just come back to bite them as they'll have too much data to do anything with.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Read somewhere that they aren't protected by the 4th Amendment and so the only thing between you and your cell records is the provider's policy on sharing information with authorities.

edit on 10-7-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This is what happens when people believe, when told, that there is a boggie man out in the desert of a foreign country that is going to come get you. While we, the security, protect you from him, we feel the need to think you might become him. Either way, we are going to protect our self from both of you.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by trisvonbis
The world we are living in IS already the NWO since 1999. Nobody gets out.
And no one will do something about it. No one. Because everyone is selfish, coward and lazy.
I am hearing / reading it every day; oh this is it, oh now it's going to happen, oh this is really too much, oh this is the last straw, oh now they did-it, oh this is another step towards the NWO, oh another reason for revolution, oh now we are much closer to a true dictatorship, oh we should get together and save what's left ( ... )
There is nothing left. Bullcrap. Emptiness. Delusion.
Do you really want to hear what you are going to do about it when the Shyte Hits The Fan ?
NOTHING. You will suffer, starve, cry and die.
You want proof ? Look at yourselves. The Shyte has already passed the Fan.
And every single one of us is full of it.

Speak for yourself buddy....
I will not go down without a fight, I will not suffer, or starve, or cry and die. I have skills that I have acquired throughout my life that I have the up most faith in, to ensure my survival no matter the cost.
But if that is really how you feel about the way things are, then you have already lost the fight.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by trisvonbis

I'm sorry that you feel that bad about things. Don't give up, not everyone is a wally, and once the meekest of them have had enough, they will stand up and be counted.
For this phone malarky - get a phone that's not registered.
For everything they try to do, we can resist - and we must resist until they see the error of their ways.
They are our servants, not our masters.
p.s. I haven't yet sussed how to 'quote'

edit on 10-7-2012 by tazdeill2 because: p.s. for - quote 'capture'

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mikemck1976

It does not even matter if they have a warrant at all anymore. It is very obvious by now to everyone that our Judicial system is just as corrupt as wall street. We are are on the fast track to being one of the most if not the most corrupt country in the world. We the average citizen gets screwed by everyone from the banks,wall street, stores,jobs, and our own federal,state and local governments, our military, police,etc, etc, etc.... Then to add insult to injury. We the average citizen that is getting screwed by all of the above mentioned have to constantly here from people in other countries that we Americans are horrible and evil and deserve what we get etc., etc.

I think the whole world will be in for a very rude awakening if and when the average citizen in this country has finally had enough and snaps as a culture. Believe me that day will come. It will be one small thing to ignite the fire. The civil war was pretty bad, but I fear when this starts it is going to be the likes no one has ever seen before.

I feel so sad for my daughter that she has to grow up in this world as we know it today. This is the legasy we are leaving our children....DO WE WANT THIS FOR THEM?
edit on 7/10/2012 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

I feel so sad for my daughter that she has to grow up in this world as we know it today. This is the legasy we are leaving our children....

You are not alone with those thoughts.

IMO, Thinking a vote on election day is going to change it all is just a fantasy.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I wonder how much this reporting adds to a cell phone bill. The telcos have to be adding the cost of labor, etc onto the cost of service.

The Telcos charge per each request. It all automatic. It is installed in every office.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
ANYONE who thinks that every call, every text, and every email is not intercepted is either delusional or retarded. It has been that way for close to 10 years now. No one has any privacy and we never will. It will only get worse and worse. It is a power that will never be given up. No matter what we do or who gets elected. If you don't want to be monitored, then do not use the phone or computer. Don't even own one. Otherwise everything you do is fair game. Like it or not.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by chevy369

The Telcos charge per each request. It all automatic. It is installed in every office.

So the tax payers under the government involved pay for these requests. If so, good reason to not abuse the system.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join