It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Higgs Boson, And Why You Should Care!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This was in response to another topic with a similar title of whom the OP was not very impressed with the Discovery of the Higgs Boson and asked why he should care. Link

Well...

The Higgs Boson is one of the most monumental discoveries in science ever.

Particle physicists belief it was a Higgs-like particle that set off the creation of our universe. By studying the Higgs Boson we can now look at how the universe was not only formed but what it was like before the Big Bang.

With a discovery like this we have massive sociological implications which can relate to completely disproving the standardized view of religions and the creation of the universe by a god/gods. Religious beliefs will otherwise cease to have any argument which would include the whole "well you don't know what set off the big bang", "What happened before the big bang?", "God created the universe and you can't disprove that!" and such.

But that is far from the most exciting possibilities when it comes to the discovery of the Higgs Boson.

With the Higgs Boson being what it is (Essentially the invisible property that holds all mass together), we are now able to have the potential of traveling inter-dimensionally, Traveling through time (backwards and forwards), we can now discover Worm-holes and gateways to other universes. We now have the potential ability to travel to parallel universes and to discover if all of these possibilities do in fact exist. All science within these fields point to the likely-hood of their existence, with the Higgs Boson we can confirm and potentiality use them.

The Higgs Boson will change the face of humanity as well as its future.

You Should Care.

edit on 8/7/12 by Ghost147 because: Fixed missleading writting

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Awesome! yes, this could essentially bring us to one of the 11 mathematically theorized dimensions

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The methods are too destructive. What have they really found?
I wrote this earlier, www.abovetopsecret.com...
at the end of the thread, pg 3, I hopefully describe how to make a Higgs boson with one particle, avoiding destruction.
edit on 8-7-2012 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Evidence is not proof of anything in particular or anything at all. Evidence is rather flexible and the same evidence can be used to support opposing theories.

You are funny, OP. You do not understand what you claim to believe in. You state "We now how the ability to travel to parallel universes". No you don't. No one reputable will claim that such things even exist for a certainty.
edit on 8-7-2012 by Numbers33four because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
OP, you make it sound like the 'God' (particle) of the 'false prophet' (scientism) has finally come forth.

edit on 8-7-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The negativity towards a scientific project isn't surprising to me. The current politics plays a role in this. The right wing news media has been on a anti education and higher learning agenda for a while. This clearly shows how far we have fallen as a educated populace, when we are arguing how old the Earth is in this modern era, and the importance of one of the greatest finds in science.

Truly shocking.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
You say that the discovery of the Higgs will lead to (time travel, inter dimensional etc) via the discovery of other particles but..... As I understand it, the Higgs was the last undiscovered particle in the standard model.

So if the standard model has been confirmed, how can there be other particles?

link   
They've basically said they found a particle that carries 'mass'. I don't see how that disproves the existence of God, or gives us the ability to create wormholes.

I'm not disputing the importance of the discovery, but wondering how it can be applied.
edit on 8-7-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

link   
wow love the thread soo cool so this is the glue of the universe i think we shoundnt mess with it. we should never try to harness it (if thats possible, i wouldnt know) only study it ! jus my opinion

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Yes the Higgs Boson is a huge discovery. However you have made some very broad statements here.

With some time I think you will discover that Religion and Science are two paths that lead to the destination. Both have been twisted and used to control and destroy.

And to say that the discovery alone of this particle has now given us the ability to time travel and jump dimensions is a little far fetched. No doubt it will benefit theses studies in time but as of right this moment nothing substantial has changed. (or at least nothing TPTB are going to tell us about)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four
Evidence is not proof of anything in particular or anything at all. Evidence is rather flexible and the same evidence can be used to support opposing theories.

I was under the impression that people did in fact use evidence to proof things.

Originally posted by Numbers33four
You are funny, OP. You do not understand what you claim to believe in. You state "We now how the ability to travel to parallel universes". No you don't. No one reputable will claim that such things even exist for a certainty.

Actually, I stated that we now have the potential to travel to parallel universes and that we physics and quantum mechanics points to the likely-hood that such things do exist.

See, here's the evidence...

Originally posted by Ghost147we are now able to have the potential of traveling inter-dimensionally, Traveling through time (backwards and forwards), we can now discover Worm-holes and gateways to other universes.

and

Originally posted by Ghost147All science within these fields point to the likely-hood of their existence, with the Higgs Boson we can confirm and potentiality use them.

Would you look at that, Evidence just proved something!

reply to post by BlueMule

Hahaha, I'm just a bit too excited with the possibilities!

In response to other comments

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by XeroOne
They've basically said they found a particle that carries 'mass'. I don't see how that disproves the existence of God, or gives us the ability to create wormholes.

From a Christian standpoint (as an example for it's simplicity), God created the universe. If we discover that something natural created the universe (and possibly others) does that not show that God didn't in fact create the universe?

As for wormholes, It is not our ability to create them, but our ability to use ones that already exist (if they do exist)

Originally posted by Britrebel
You say that the discovery of the Higgs will lead to (time travel, inter dimensional etc) via the discovery of other particles but..... As I understand it, the Higgs was the last undiscovered particle in the standard model.

So if the standard model has been confirmed, how can there be other particles?

I'm sorry that my post came off that way. You are correct, the Higgs Boson was the Last particle in the standard model.

Originally posted by coven83
...to say that the discovery alone of this particle has now given us the ability to time travel and jump dimensions is a little far fetched. No doubt it will benefit theses studies in time but as of right this moment nothing substantial has changed. (or at least nothing TPTB are going to tell us about)

I completely agree! My statement was that we now have the potential to acquire these abilities, not that we currently have them.
edit on 8/7/12 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The possibility of FTL travel may well be a real outcome of the Higgs discovery. If we could some how figure out how to turn down (or off) somethings (or someones) mass, then, we may be able to negate the crushing effects of gravity at light speed.

Hmmm interesting, im gonna have a think about this one.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
As always when one deals with truth (not something we're too familiar with in either science or religion), it can just as easily serve to prove that God/Creator/Oneness/Ein Sof does in fact exist. You are a bit presumptuous in pointing that science will perform to your will. That's not how science works.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
If religious people were so won over by science as you claim op then religion would already cease to exist, so no this new discovery isn't going to make religion stop in its tracks. If anything it will go on as normal.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

From a Christian standpoint (as an example for it's simplicity), God created the universe. If we discover that something natural created the universe (and possibly others) does that not show that God didn't in fact create the universe?

Not really. We're left with the argument that the particle may have been used by God to create the universe. It merely reframes the creationist argument in the same way as the 'Big Bang' theory did when first proposed.
edit on 8-7-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
You know it really bugs me that the Higgs boson is being used in this tit-for-tat argument. It all stems from it being called "the god particle". Although this is one of the greatest discoveries of our time, it has NOTHING I repeat NOTHING to with god.

It was named the god particle by the author of a book. The media liked it and ran with it. Even Peter Higgs him self hates the term.

The term "god particle" overstates the importance of the Higgs compared to the notion of a god.
edit on 8-7-2012 by Britrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The only time travel that is possible is to the future (relativity). The latter two (interdimensional travel and time travel to the past) are possible implications of string theory, a theory that has absolutely no physical evidence and is built purely on mathematical formulation. All of those are things of science fiction and most real physicists and engineers (with the exception of particle physicists) scoff at such notions. As for the Higgs Boson, it has nothing to do with time travel, interdimensional travel, or worm holes.

Even if we do find applications, it won't be for at least another 1000 years assuming the same constant scientific progress we had for the last 50 years. The discovery of the Higgs Boson will not cause a second industrial revolution, or even any industrial applications in the near future.

This discovery will have no impact on the life of the Average Joe.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Diablos

Although I agree with you about the time travel (etc) I do not agree with your timeline. I would say that if the Higgs gives us the ability to go FTL, then I would say that we will be shooting to the stars within the next 100-300 years.

I believe there is a very real possibility of an 'industrial space revolution'.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by XeroOne

Yes I suppose you are correct. I would still argue that if the information was more easily understood that it would increase the rate of decline of the religious population on the planet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join