It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Concedes Space–Time Portals Exist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
From AlienDigest
Via, The IntelHub

NASA finally concedes that what was once considered science fiction is now a reality. A recent announcement by NASA of an upcoming probe called MMS will study these Space–Time Portals.

Space–Time portals have been talked about for decades in science fiction and the alternative media communities have presented many theories on their existence. Something tells me that someday soon NASA will admit that Crop Circles are in fact made by Extraterrestrial Technology – but I digress.

The article posted June 29th on the NASA Science News site begins,

“A favorite theme of science fiction is “the portal”–an extraordinary opening in space or time that connects travelers to distant realms. A good portal is a shortcut, a guide, a door into the unknown. If only they actually existed….

It turns out that they do, sort of, and a NASA-funded researcher at the University of Iowa has figured out how to find them.”

What! Cool! So like a wormhole? like DS9??

In the article, University of Iowa plasma physicist Jack Scudder describes the portals as X-points or electron diffusion regions. He goes on to say, “They’re places where the magnetic field of Earth connects to the magnetic field of the Sun, creating an uninterrupted path leading from our own planet to the sun’s atmosphere 93 million miles away.”

A few important excerpts from the article follow. reads,

“Observations by NASA’s THEMIS spacecraft and Europe’s Cluster probes suggest that these magnetic portals open and close dozens of times each day. They’re typically located a few tens of thousands of kilometers from Earth where the geomagnetic field meets the onrushing solar wind. Most portals are small and short-lived; others are yawning, vast, and sustained. Tons of energetic particles can flow through the openings, heating Earth’s upper atmosphere, sparking geomagnetic storms, and igniting bright polar auroras.

Ok, so temporary type portals.. seems very very interesting and potentially promising as a method of quick transport through space?! I'm sure its decades if not longer away, but cool anyways!
Looks like we have had some of these 'points' found near earth already,

“In the late 1990s, NASA’s Polar spacecraft spent years in Earth’s magnetosphere,” explains Scudder, “and it encountered many X-points during its mission.”

The 4 probes, called MMS, will be launched in 2014 and will attempt to study the 'portals' around earth. They are equipped with energy particle detectors and megnetic sensors..

Thoughts?!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
That is pretty damn cool.

I wonder if they effect satellites at all? Can they be harnessed as a source of energy? Can probes or other spacecraft hitch a ride to cut down travel time to Mercury and Venus?

I'm kind of excited now.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Amazing, I'm really excited about this!

Been interested in this type of phenomena since reading about the Gulf of Aden. You don't tend to hear anything about it, especially not from NASA...

Thank you OP

edit on 6-7-2012 by paradisepurple because: Sp.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Hasn't ancient peoples had portals since long ago? Egypt pyramids and what not. They were Sun worshipers as well. Would be interesting to see what connections there are.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by killbot2012
Hasn't ancient peoples had portals since long ago? Egypt pyramids and what not. They were Sun worshipers as well. Would be interesting to see what connections there are.

Interesting point! The article does say there arer some sustained and long surviving 'portals'... It would be interesting to see if these line up with any pyramids on earth?? Such an interesting story with huge potential! As another poster theorized, could it be used to harness power???

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradisepurple
Amazing, I'm really excited about this!

Been interested in this type of phenomena since reading about the Gulf of Aden. You don't tend to hear anything about it, especially not from NASA...

Thank you OP

edit on 6-7-2012 by paradisepurple because: Sp.

No worries! Im suprised that it hasnt garnered more attention here! The potential for this discovery is huge!!

+27 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
No, NASA does not "concede space-time portals exist!" The press release from NASA says nothing about space-time. What it is describing are lines of magnetic reconnection. In short, the interaction between the Sun and the Earth's magnetic fields "tunnels" plasma to the Earth. Your secondary source is notoriously unreliable.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
So that's the excuse they came up with because their predictions about the solar flares actions on the earth aren't very good? We've got wopped a few times by unknown energy forces. I thought these satellites were supposed to observe the filaments of the magnetic arms between the earth and sun. There must of been an extreme cost overrun and they have to justify extra expenses. Oh well, that's another increase in the national debt.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Sounds cool but I don't think I'd want to ride a magnetic portal to our Sun. That's for people with a death wish.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Wow THX ...

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Could you link the actual NASA source that concedes Space-time portals exist?.....you have only cited a couple of dodgy blogs.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
cool, just like ocean currents connecting different oceans of the world! it would be amazing if it was found to be a distribution system of matter and energy from different solar systems and from suns to planets. so far thats the hint, that whole micro-macro cosmic relationship thing is coming to mind, what if the universe was just a larger more complex eco-system and the one here on earth is a far simpler macro version of the larger?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
reply to post by Nspekta

Could you link the actual NASA source that concedes Space-time portals exist?.....you have only cited a couple of dodgy blogs.

Thanks in advance.

Here is the original nasa source : www.nasa.gov...

They have probably known and been using these portals (if possible) for a long time...

So thats cool, we may have the god particle and space time portals

edit on 7-7-2012 by WeSbO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeSbO
Here is the original nasa source : www.nasa.gov...

Nothing there about space-time portals - how about linking us to where NASA concedes space-time portals exist?

Unless....

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Not exactly the kind of portal from sci-fi, but interesting magnetic portals anyway. The NASA link was pretty cool too.

Never know what might be discovered as time goes by.

I think it's pretty cool that the sci-fi we enjoyed growing up is coming to fruition in a lot of ways! Not so much that they foretold it as it is that they influenced it as far as the tech stuff goes. All us once sci-fi kids grew up, and of course what we dreamed about as kids, we're looking for as adults. Pretty cool.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Interesting topic. These portals of flux transfer events (sans capacitor) have been known for years but recent news is scarce.

science.nasa.gov...

I recall Einstein was aware of the 8 minute refresh rate but not the source.

Within the past year I read that there is a constant solar/Mercury portal and maybe even a weak Earth/Moon portal.

I am very skeptical that they have any 'time' element.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
OK...I get how this is a connection between the earth's magnetic field and the Sun's magnetic field, and I get how this connection causes a direct transfer of particles between the Sun and Earth...

...But why call it a space-time portal? what does time have to do with it? That's like calling an automobile tunnel a space-time portal. Sure, it's a portal, but not a time portal.

By the way, there was a previous thread started on this subject earlier this week:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 7/7/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

You are on to something BIG if NASA has the courage to admit it publically, especially in defiance of the Administrations "Transparency" statements. Wonder what else they might admit ????

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Labrynth2012
reply to post by Nspekta

You are on to something BIG if NASA has the courage to admit it publically, especially in defiance of the Administrations "Transparency" statements. Wonder what else they might admit ????

What exactly did NASA "admit"? "Admit" is an odd word to use, because I only see them discussing a scientific finding (a finding, by the way, that is four years old). As ATS member 'oghamxxx' mentioned two posts above, NASA released information about this finding back in 2008:
science.nasa.gov...

So what we have here is the magnetic fields of the Earth and Sun connecting to each other in such a way that particles can ride this connected magnetic field in a direct path to Earth, rather than the particles leaving one magnetic field then entering the other. This finding simply shows that the magnetic fields of the Earth and Sun are intimately connected in such a way that was previously unknown.

While I admit this may be interesting to science, I don't see any reason for NASA be worried about telling the public about this finding. I would bet most of the public wouldn't find this interesting at all.

edit on 7/7/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
No, NASA does not "concede space-time portals exist!" The press release from NASA says nothing about space-time. What it is describing are lines of magnetic reconnection. In short, the interaction between the Sun and the Earth's magnetic fields "tunnels" plasma to the Earth. Your secondary source is notoriously unreliable.

Thanks for putting the reality factor into this thread. These kinds of wild fantasies based on good science are becoming quite a problem on this site. Thread titles should speak the truth about what they are explaining and nothing more. Other than that, the NASA links were good enough to start this thread without the unjustified hype.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join