It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The doctor just prescribed me antidepressants for the first time. Advice needed. Citalopram.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Scope and a Beam

Scrap the death pills and start exercising daily and eating healthy/drinking a lot of water. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I'm with the people who are concerned about you getting advice about medical issues on a conspiracy site. I've been taking meds for years, and I'm damn grateful for them. (Keeps the giant earthworms from parading down my street.) Before meds, I was a wreck. With meds, I have a happy marriage, two university degrees, a professional career, and the energy to take on writing jobs after work. You cannot tell me that they haven't been successful in my case.

The main thing I wanted to say, though, is that if you want to find out if the meds are going to work for you, you need to give them 2-3 weeks. You've gone this far, right? It's up to you, if you want to, but maybe trying them for a little while longer might be worth it. They might be the thing for you, and they might not. There's no way any of us here on ATS could possibly know that, unless someone knows you, your medical history and psychopharmacology really well.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I take Citropram and have been on it for about 3 years. I have
chronic depression and have been on other medication that made
me worse or didn't work at all. I finally got relief with citropram and
along with eating right, exercising and meditation I am feeling much
better than I have in years. However don't take my word for it because
different medications work differently on different people. The dizzy
funny feeling will go away after a week or so. Also it takes a few
weeks for it to start working. Just thought I would let you know
how it has worked for me.

Someone mentioned getting outside. That is exactly what I did -
I took up photography and got into nature. The best anti-depressant
on the planet!
edit on 4-7-2012 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
dont take that #. that like putting yourself in a pressure cooker. depression of the mind, answer is simple..come out the mind. meaning meditation
edit on 4-7-2012 by biggmoneyme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Try finding a job that either gives you plenty of exercise, or allows you time to do it outside of work. It may be that your problem is the new job is taking up too much of your life. I think most of us have this problem. After a while you just get used to it, and do nothing but work. It can be depressing at first. I used to count the minutes and the days drew on and on, now it seems they just fly by without time to even relax. People need to unwind a little to be balanced, and it takes time to unwind. Doing it in front of the TV isn't the healthiest way either. Front porch with an iced tea works well, mowing the yard is good. Mindless exercise in the yard will prolong your life by years and help you stay grounded. It's the best antidepressant in my opinion. Gotta get outside.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Thanks for all the response. I'm still reading through and although many are saying don't take them I will take them as a tool just to help me get back on the straight and narrow.

The doctor said for me to take them for 6 months so I won't go past that. If they don't make me feel better within a month and I feel worse I'll quit them.

Yesterday I took the 20mg and suddenly got very confused and sluggish in the afternoon, but by 5pm I had a huge surge of energy and cleaned my whole house in about 30mins.

They're strange pills but I'll ride them out for a little longer.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

You make a good point. However, those of us who live with depression every day of our lives can be a valuable resource to those suffering. Read my post. I make no claim to a cure. I merely give the example that worked for me. Many of the others did the same. Don't mock people for attempting to help someone in need. It lessens you.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

It can take several weeks to get to full effect with these medications. I wouldn't set a defined time to stop. Instead, in 6 months time get with the counselor I hope you will be seeing and evaluate your state. If you feel comfortable enough to ween yourself off, begin that process. Whatever you do do NOT just stop taking them. the result could be catastrophic. That is very important. You MUST ween yourself off slowly.
Good luck!

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
There are many good bits of advice here, the main one being it's probably better to avoid pharmaceuticals if you can.

I really have no idea of who you are or what your circumstances are.

Counseling with friends or a therapist might be all that is required.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I took a few years of psychology, If you can jog, make a busy routine to keep yourself busy when your down rather than taking a pill do it. If you do some homework on the effectiveness of anti-depressants, you might get mad at your doctor for treating you as a fool. They do more harm than good.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomchance7324
There are many good bits of advice here, the main one being it's probably better to avoid pharmaceuticals if you can.

I really have no idea of who you are or what your circumstances are.

Counseling with friends or a therapist might be all that is required.

Maybe this will be of interest since you mentioned Serantonin that seem to get converted to Melatonin.

The Pineal Gland and Melatonin
www.vivo.colostate.edu...

So what is the Pineal gland?
The Third eye/Ajna Chakra.
The ellusive radio transmitter for the psycics/buddhas/awakened.
en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join