It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you live in the UK and have freeview tv? if so read this...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Cito

Ha Ha couldn't agree more! You got it well sussed, personally I haven't bothered as I'm happy just getting the films

I do a similar thing online though, but of course, not on this site!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
why not 'rent and rip' from block buster.

not suggesting anything

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by diddy1234

Why even do that when you can just get it online for free? lol

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
I'm in the UK but I don't watch any T.V we switched off nearly a year ago now! This story did make me chuckle a bit! lol

What on earth will people do without their T.V?

Definitely some sort of scam, unless this has happened in other countries that have 4g. Anyone know?

Like you, I switched "off" as well. I now watch what I want when I want to watch it. I don't pay for a TV "license" despite the threatening letters.

It took me a long time to break the habit but once you do, you'll be happier for it!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
There is just no way my mother could afford the fee for this filter and any additional cost for its installation. This whole thing is just criminal and I wont stand for it as I am sure many others in the UK feel the same. I think there is gong to be mass action against this has all the clear hallmarks of a scam enterprise as other post have mentioned. It is also known as a stealth tax which is illegal.

They better not make it mandatory or a hell of a dissent will erupt.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
So people get freeview for years.
then 4G james the signal and the people have to pay?

I dont have a TV.
I watch a friends some time cable.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by PW229

lol nice one mate! Good for you, it most certainly is a habit. To be honest I've never been a huge T.V watcher. i liked documentaries and films but i've always hated soaps. Trouble was the mrs! She watched EVERYTHING that had zero value! It took quite some time to convince her to switch off but switch off she did... eventually!

Even she doesn't miss it now.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

Why don't you sort your mum out with a cheap pc and teach her how to use on-demand? Yoyu could show her torrents as well if she fancied getting really technical.

At least then she wouldn't need the tv license. The more people that do it the better.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mee30

Why even do that when you can just get it online for free? lol

true but you have less legal standing if your house were to get raided (not that i agree with that).

im not too sure if anyone can legally back up their own dvd collection either.
what with teenager kids some of my dvds have gone walkies over the years and if it were not for making backups on a server i would not be able to watch them.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Yeah not sure mate, actually i think you could back up but you would have to show the original. If you had a boat load of films ripped from blockbuster i think you would be in the same position as me if you were to be raided. To be honest i think they would be very busy if they were to raid everyones house that download off torrent sites lol.

Look what they did, they got the ISP's to block pirate bay. what a waste of time that was as not all ISP's were forced to block it and even the ones that did have not blocked all the pirate bay sites. People now just go to another server. But even if they blocked that there are plenty of other torrent sites. They are wasting their time.
edit on 30-6-2012 by mee30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It will happen !

The English are the most apathetic electorate going. They mumble and grumble but will do as they are told anyway. This current administration hates the idea of anything free, particularly if their business backers aren't making a profit out of it.
Politicians fiddling their expenses..... mumble, newspaper magnate dictating government policy.......grumble, dodgy coppers and reporters......mumble, bankers ripping us off.......moan, just throw the serfs an important sounding inquiry, let it linger long enough to air big brother or EastEnders and voilà !.... they wander off and put up with it. Cameras that can pick up your number plate no problem but get mugged at your railway station and the fuzzy faced mugger is ready for his next shift no worries. As for internet freedom .. forget that. Mumble, grumble ad infinitum.

It seems the rot is too deep.

It will happen !

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by max100

Yeah, then you try to tell people about it, and they just come out with crap, empty excuses like "i've got family to think about". The irony. Their families are suffering, or if not, will do, because of their lack of action. If they truly cared about their families they would do something about the corruption. They dont want to know when you point this out, and you just feel like you've been hitting your head against a brick wall.

Then you realise you are in fact in a minority. If the majority refuse to listen, then what right do we as the minority have to enforce our beliefs on them? Especially, as that would make us hypocrites as we are fighting against a minority of rich people who are enforcing their ideals on us. If the majority are happy with being screwed, then they have made their choice. All we can do is just try to raise awareness in the hope that the majority will wake up, until then, theres nothing more we can actually do.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

Firefly.... I like you .. I feel i'm not alone.

Whatever happened to “i am one..... but we are many.”
if he were alive, I could not look Jimmy Reid in the eye.

Its said that “hope is the last refuge of the lost”, but its all we've got right now.

Peace to you.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I wrote something long and angry, but i came to this conclusion.

CRIMINALS!
edit on 30-6-2012 by Fisherr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Criminals? Charging £200 for a bandpass filter which costs about a tenner?

Yep, sounds about right...

It's only the top end of the UHF allocation, channels 61-68, which are being used for 4G so it'll only really affect those whose freeview transmitters up and around that allocation, or those using equipment with poorly designed front ends. This, methinks, will be the issue more than anything, manufacturing cutting costs by not designing a "rigid" front end in the receivers.

Better still, leave it all be. People might actually hold conversations with each other or, who knows, might actually starting thinking and forming their own opinions instead of flopping out in front of the cathode teat and letting that think and decide for them.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Its bad enough when a helicopter fly's over my house and my tv signal starts stalling, happens if a small plane fly's over as well, multipath interference.

Trying to not watch much tv these days. But it is annoying, and the BBC can stick their licence right up their tight arse.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
the freeview signal vanished in my area about a month ago forcing me to get sky in more people have said the same ie loss of signal .nice little earner for sky .broadband is usless 1.3 meg wow fast eh .you can not get 3g or most mobile signals here but in 25years have never had a tv licence

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Why would anyone pay £350 for a non sky receiver when you can get one free from sky and take a basic package at £20 a month for a yr which you can then cancel after the year, thats £350 vs £240 and one yr later when you have cancelled you get freesat from sky anyway, hmm guess it takes all sorts, or the cost is negligible.

By the murdoch is only a shareholder he doesn't own sky - so why the hater's ?

Oh and the irony is when freesat customer's (diff company from freesat from sky) have a problem guess who they phone yeah thats right "Sky" and even then when they are told sorry cant help you they complain, the most stupid thing I ever heard was I want a refund as I haven't been able to watch my free channels, there is no pleasing some folk.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mee30

it always puzzeld me how a private company can effectively enforce a tax on the country, and have it enforced. Given the BBC was supposed to support the "empire" which is long gone. isn't it time we stopped supporting them and they became commercial like everyone else!!

Hell I get BBC in Mexico for FREE, I just have to watch reruns of Hells Kitchen, F-Word, The Graham Norton Show, and ENDLESS TOP GEAR!!.... it's a bit like watching Dave so it's fine by me!!

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Any way they can i guess. These filters will cost penny's to make, but becouse they will be essential for decent tv reception, and most will have to buy them they charge more and say, there's nothing we cand do, it's supply and demand!
This never made scence to me as everyone knows if you buy bulk it's cheaper. Scam, scam, scam.
I'd drop the tv. But I got sky so hopefully won't effect that

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join