It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open call for ideas on future debates

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

The point remains that as a volunteer judge, you stated your opinion, and it is final. Within the context of the debates, the judges, regardless of who they are, base their opinion upon what they perceive. For that aspect, a volunteer judge's ruling is complete, as would a mod's decision. No beef with that at all.

I perceive the judging panel will rotate a bit. With ten volunteers, there can be three debates running with no duplicates.

Aye?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I have another debate request (one from page 2 in this thread), between enjoies05 and myself, with the topic of: The military installation known as Area 51 is not actually related to extra-terrestrials or extra-terrestrial craft. BEFORE I request a thread, I'm asking for three member judges to officiate. Any takers?

Judge #1: vkey08
Judge #2:
Judge #3:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I will be happy to judge!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Did I miss something? Seems 74Templar and I among others did finish our debates sometime ago and yet a more recent one was used as the experimentally judged one? What happened? I personally want it finalized.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I noticed that as well. Would you and your opponent want a ruling?

I'd be glad to offer some input.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by antar

I noticed that as well. Would you and your opponent want a ruling?

I'd be glad to offer some input.

I looked at the last debate (which was yours, beezzer,) prior to ours, and it was judged, so I thought that they all were. If not, I can review some, as well.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by Druid42

I have another debate request (one from page 2 in this thread), between enjoies05 and myself, with the topic of: The military installation known as Area 51 is not actually related to extra-terrestrials or extra-terrestrial craft. BEFORE I request a thread, I'm asking for three member judges to officiate. Any takers?

Judge #2:
Judge #3:

Judge #2: adjensen
Judge #3:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Did I miss something? Seems 74Templar and I among others did finish our debates sometime ago and yet a more recent one was used as the experimentally judged one? What happened? I personally want it finalized.

That "what happened" was that The Vagabond got a heaping helping full of personal responsibilities. He was able to get one debate judged, but has since been fulfilling other responsibilities. His workload requires his attention at the moment. Life happens, and I can relate to that.

I would think that it would be appropriate for volunteer judges to go over the undecided "recent" debates, and have three members close them out in the interim, if that would be acceptable to you and the others. There are currently 10 volunteer judges, so with three of them visiting your debate thread, I would think we could provide you with a decision. That is, if you are willing to accept a finalization from your peers. If so agreed, three members will finalize your debate. Let us know if that is okay with you, please. If it's not okay with you and 74, then let us know a suitable solution.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I'd be happy with that, because I also would like it finalised. If there has been no one else put their hand up for the second debate I would be able to put my hand up this time as a judge for the second debate.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
We have many people raising their hands, but if no-one steps up in time, just tag me. I'm always around.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

reply to post by Druid42

Do you really think that it is wise to have an open judge on a social network? I think it may cause problems. I kind of like not knowing who my judge is. I also like keeping friends on the site if I happen to judge against them and for the opponent.

Now I realize that in a perfect world an unbiased judge is expected to make decisions based on the debate and not on prior prejudice, preconceived notions or friendship.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

I tend to think most of the posters here are quite seasoned and intelligent, so I have no problem with other fighters judging my debates. I've made my stance on popularity vs. stars and flags vs. newer members, and it was received well enough. I also think the debates themselves are far from heated, and very friendly, and I would have no problem accepting the decision of the judges as final, as many of them are friends here and I know they can be both impartial and fair at the same time.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Agreed, don't read too much into my post about it, I was just opening the discussion as this newer method is just that, still new.

,,,, Just hoping that integrity remains top notch and all that rot!!!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

LOL! I am really not a thorn in the side of this other wise very great group of fighters, lol.

That sounds good to me as the other debates deserve a closure as well.

To be honest, I loved 74Templar as a debate opponent and have no idea who won, just glad we will never have to judge our own.

P.S. You are doing a fine job keeping things rolling, TheVagabond will respect your style I am sure.

Let me know if you will need me to step in for the open debates not yet judged.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It would be our honor. We had some wonderful U2u's about our debate and so yes, input will be welcome. Our debate at times felt more like a hug fest to me, lol

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

It would be our honor. We had some wonderful U2u's about our debate and so yes, input will be welcome. Our debate at times felt more like a hug fest to me, lol

Thank you. Debates should be civilised. My interest in the debate forum stems from wanting to show how a conflict of ideas doesn't always have to be a slug-fest.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by Druid42

Judge #2:
Judge #3:

Okay, here's what my next debate looks like:

Judge #2: adjensen
Judge #3: 74Templar

Premise:
The military installation known as Area 51 is not actually related to extra-terrestrials or extra-terrestrial craft.

enjoies05 will be taking the "Pro."
Druid42 will be taking the "Con."

Now, all we need is a mod to start it!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I'd be happy with that, because I also would like it finalised

reply to post by antar

I personally want it finalized.

The first three "fighters" to post in your thread will be the judges. Does that sound ok to you two?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Sounds like a good plan. Hopefully with a bit of luck the unjudged debates should be finished up soon, and we can move onto the new rounds of debates and judging.
ETA: Never mind. Just going over the previous rounds and there are only two remaning unjudged debates. antar's and my debate and the one between Druid and OpinionatedB, which is still going by the looks of it.
Carry on...

edit on 2-8-2012 by 74Templar because: changed text

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I'm informed that OpinionatedB will be away for awhile, and has asked another member to finish the debate for her, but I believe that is against debate protocols.

As such, I see that particular debate on indefinate hold. I'll have to default to the mods decision on how to handle it.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I'm looking forward to it.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join