It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your July 4 Fireworks: Made in China, Like Everything Else

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
How ironic is it that Americans will yet again be celebrating their 'freedom' by waving flags and shooting off fireworks that are made in China?

What better example of the bubble of clueless hypocrisy the average American consumer lives in. We all want high wages, but rush to buy the products produced with the cheapest wages.

China's fireworks industry provides 98 percent of America's overall needs, and 80 percent of the pyrotechnics needed for professional displays

www.usatoday.com...

It is with some trace of irony that on the holiday weekend when Americans celebrate their independence from the tyranny and exploitation of another foreign country, that the good 'ole USofA once again looks to the Far East for the most cherished emblem of said celebration: fireworks. China is the dominant global exporter of fireworks, according to Panjiva, which tracks the flow of waterborne goods into the United States.

blogs.cio.com...

Oh, and make sure you dont blow your finger off and guy whining to the ER on the taxpayer dime!:

Fireworks were involved in an estimated 8,800 injuries treated in U.S. hospital emergency departments during calendar year 2009 (95 percent confidence interval 6,800 – 10,800). CPSC staff estimated that there were 7,000 fireworks-related injuries during 2008.

www.cpsc.gov...

So make sure you go out and celebrate your 'Freedom", America, with some fireworks and plastic flags made by children in a dictatorship thousands of miles form your shores!

Liberty!

edit on 29-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I am pretty sure some of the large scale shows are done with fireworks made in the US. The companies create them to the specs they need for the show's display/

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
I am pretty sure some of the large scale shows are done with fireworks made in the US. The companies create them to the specs they need for the show's display/

Yes, some. According to the stat in the OP, about 20%. The rest come from China.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Yeah, consumer level from China for sure. Think the regs make it hard to manufacture in the US.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Yeah, consumer level from China for sure. Think the regs make it hard to manufacture in the US.

Are you familiar with which regulations have restricted firework production in the US? Can you list them for us?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
This is an older article, but it gives an overview of why most companies import from China. I'm in the industry and can say first hand that the oversight and regulations can make one crazy. Too many agencies involved and costs to produce them is so high, that most companies were forced to import or close completely.

Link www.inc.com...

Still, back in the U.S., smaller fireworks retailers, importers and display companies say beefed up federal, state and local regulations -- despite having recharged the marketplace -- are becoming burdensome, costly, and even confusing.

At the federal level, industry regulation straddles numerous agencies, including the Department of Transportation, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (notably at 1-888-ATF-BOMB), and the Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

State and local authorities oversee licensing, storage, and operator certification, along with the sale and use. Other restrictions enforced by local fire and police departments vary by state and region.

and this part

Julie Heckman, the APA's executive director, has called the current situation -- which is far worse for professional fireworks display operators, than for retailers -- a "crazy quilt of new regulatory activity and inspections that seems to make very little sense, particularly for an industry that was already one of the most heavily regulated."

"There's been a lot of overreaction from the government," Decker says. "The basic rules for consumer fireworks haven't changed much, but we're seeing problems in areas like shipping."

Decker says many carriers have simply stopped handling fireworks, saying added safety regulations -- which include random drug testing programs and up to four background checks and federal clearance letters for drivers transporting display fireworks -- have sent costs through the roof.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Yes, like everything else

Martin Luther King Memorial Made in China
edit on 30-6-2012 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

That's interesting. Thanks. But, perhaps i missed it, i dont see any reference to any specific examples of which regulations they would like to get rid of.

Wages?

Safety?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
There is no need to buy any fireworks on July,4.
The greatest nuclear firework will be on your TV.
Tehran will be devastated.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

"Your July 4 Fireworks: Made in China"?
Well they did invent the stuff you know.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

The fireworks for the show I saw last night where made in the good old U.S.A. on Long Island

www.grucci.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I love it. Not only will people sit there and wave their Chinese made American flag and watch their Chinese made fireworks, but most Americans won't even know why they're waving that flag or watching those fireworks. Seriously, this July 4th, go ask people what they're celebrating. I had someone tell me last year that he was celebrating his independents from "those god damn alkida"...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by nighthawk1954
reply to post by roadgravel

The fireworks for the show I saw last night where made in the good old U.S.A. on Long Island

www.grucci.com...

That's very interesting.Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, while it gives a detailed history of how they used to produce fireworks, I cant find anything on their website which says where their fireworks are now made. Can you clarify?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
well, seeing that they have been made there for over a thousand years, this is one i am not terribly guilty over buying. Besides, i got mine in mexico

jk

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I think world trade is a good thing. But only so when exchanging rare items from one continent to the next. As has been happening for a couple thousand years now. Simply because something can be made cheaper somewhere is not the best reasoning for exporting jobs from a local economy.

Fireworks have been engrained into the identity of America since its inception:

By the time of the American Revolution, fireworks had long played a part in celebrating important events. It was natural, then, that not only John Adams but also many of his countrymen should think of fireworks when independence was declared. The very first celebration of Independence Day was in 1777, six years before Americans knew whether the new nation would even survive the war, and fireworks were a part of the revels. In 1789, George Washington’s inauguration was accompanied by a beautiful display.

For the most part, it would be nice to see the smaller shows buying from US manufacturers. Certainly people stateside know how to handle gunpowder right?

And of course there will be occasions that call for more than just something made at home, and nothing wrong with that either.

The “Statue of Liberty Centennial Fireworks Spectacular” was an international display, with fireworks from many different countries including Japan, China, Germany, Italy, England, France, Spain, Canada, Australia, Taiwan and Brazil. Many were developed especially for this international program, never before seen anywhere in the world.

Link

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
What?

China Invented fireworks...

Fireworks date back to the 10th century and originated in China. The Chinese developed many different kinds of fireworks with a variety of effects and color.[1

Why are people up in arms that a product which originated in China, is made in China? I agree that it's crazy they made the "Made In America" stickers and stuff, but come on, the fireworks thing is a moot point.

~Tenth
edit on 6/30/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
What?

China Invented fireworks...

Fireworks date back to the 10th century and originated in China. The Chinese developed many different kinds of fireworks with a variety of effects and color.[1

Why are people up in arms that a product which originated in China, is made in China? I agree that it's crazy they made the "Made In America" stickers and stuff, but come on, the fireworks thing is a moot point.

~Tenth

Yes, it is very much common knowledge that fireworks were invented in China. Thanks for pointing that out.

You dont see the irony and hypocrisy in celebrating American Independence by shooting off a bunch of fireworks made in a dictatorship?

maybe this will help

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

For the most part, it would be nice to see the smaller shows buying from US manufacturers. Certainly people stateside know how to handle gunpowder right?

Apparently there are a few. About 20% of professional displays are with fireworks made in the US. But those ones that people buy to shoot of themselves? Made in China.

Apparently when Americans celebrate freedom, they do so with a healthy dose of hypocrisy.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

You don't see the problem in being all too snarky and sensitive ( read patriotic) about a non issue like fireworks?

Who cares what China makes? That's not the point that particular American Tradition is it? To go out and yell at all the countries you don't agree with?

You should be glad that they buy them from China, cause I bet they are MUCH cheaper than the American counter parts, and in this economy who can afford anything else but cheap goods? Better Chinese Fireworks than no Fireworks right? Considering it is an American Tradition.

It seems to me, that people will take ANY chance these days, to be unhappy about something, and jump at the chance to tell Americans, " Ohh look isn't that ironic that this non-issue is tied to some big event your having."

Doesn't matter if it's ironic, it's a non issue. The 4th of July has NOTHING to do with China, or maybe it does since you owe them all that money, either way, why bring it up?

Seems to me just another reason to either:

A) Mock the United States

B) Mock China

Neither of which have anything to do with the 4th of July.

~Tenth

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join