It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chit Chat for ATS Regent Election

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08
I learned that even the Omnipotent PTB on ATS are afraid of the democratic process...

Well no not really but it would make a great thread wouldn't it?

nah, they'd just shut it down

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by boncho

Cheer up Boncho,Mama voted for you! I knew from the begining
that I would never win,I still had fun and enjoyed myself all week.

I hate to admit it, but I voted for him, too - whats not to love about a Booze Party? The "vote stacking" of being able to place more than one vote - but only ONE vote for any particular candidate, I believe, has some merit for ranking various parties far better than the current "primary" system.

If a population has a field of 20 or 30 candidates, and can vote for as many as they like, but only once per candidate, a natural ranking of preference for candidates will occur. After they are ranked, then the top 2 or 5 or whatever, the ones with the likeliest chance to proceed, could then move on to the actual election.

I like that as a better system for "primaries" than the current partisan based primary system that guarantees one candidate from each of two dismal parties, and very effectively excludes any and all other parties beyond those two.

It would be a great way to "un-rig" our current partisan political process.

P.S. - mamabeth, you knew from the beginning that you WOULD win! You seized the title from the git go, and refused to give it up - how could that be anything other than a "win"? It amounted to a palace coup!

edit on 2012/7/10 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
BBBBEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZEEEEEERRRRRRR!!!

I also learned that my grand daughters, who are only 2 and 4 years old, are amazingly perceptive. They looked at my avatar, and said "that's YOU!"

Later, after the crown and robe were donned, the asked why I was suddenly wearing a "red dress"...

The looked at the above picture, and immediately wanted to know HOW the "ninja bunny" snatched the whole skeleton out of a wolf! now they expect me to teach them "mad ninja moves". I keep telling them to go ask their beezzer...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
If anyone's interested in the mathematics of it...

It's anonymous and monotone but not neutral, therefore not a valid voting system

...anonymous means everyone's vote has the same weight (no multiple votes for same candidate), monotone means it's not minority rule and neutral means that all candidates are treated equally (only one possible vote), but since people can vote for multiple candidates, it's not neutral

....not sure why I know that, it must have happened in one of the time jumps

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by boncho

Cheer up Boncho,Mama voted for you! I knew from the begining
that I would never win,I still had fun and enjoyed myself all week.

I hate to admit it, but I voted for him, too - whats not to love about a Booze Party? The "vote stacking" of being able to place more than one vote - but only ONE vote for any particular candidate, I believe, has some merit for ranking various parties far better than the current "primary" system.

If a population has a field of 20 or 30 candidates, and can vote for as many as they like, but only once per candidate, a natural ranking of preference for candidates will occur. After they are ranked, then the top 2 or 5 or whatever, the ones with the likeliest chance to proceed, could then move on to the actual election.

I like that as a better system for "primaries" than the current partisan based primary system that guarantees one candidate from each of two dismal parties, and very effectively excludes any and all other parties beyond those two.

It would be a great way to "un-rig" our current partisan political process.

P.S. - mamabeth, you knew from the beginning that you WOULD win! You seized the title from the git go, and refused to give it up - how could that be anything other than a "win"? It amounted to a palace coup!

A quota system of voting would be good for the "primaries", then use a simple majority for the run-offs

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

That goes back to your math class - "The Mathematics of Election: or The Calculus of Rigging Votes". I maintain that it IS a valid means of election, and any attempts to redefine it to not be "neutral" by rigging definitions is in fact a ploy to rig the elections and weight them in favor of the current ruling parties!

With that said, I do believe it is better suited as a means of culling the field in primaries as a way of ranking political preferences than it is suited to a final election.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

That goes back to your math class - "The Mathematics of Election: or The Calculus of Rigging Votes". I maintain that it IS a valid means of election, and any attempts to redefine it to not be "neutral" by rigging definitions is in fact a ploy to rig the elections and weight them in favor of the current ruling parties!

With that said, I do believe it is better suited as a means of culling the field in primaries as a way of ranking political preferences than it is suited to a final election.

LOL still not valid though

Actually some pretty interesting stuff! You should check out the quota system, you'd really like it. An example of it is congress overiding a presidential veto needing 2/3 majority in both houses, but for a primary, it may be good to chose a quota of say 25%, that would make a good field for the run off

But it was still FUN!!

edit on 10-7-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
It definately would have been interesting to be a "fly" on the wall during an ATS staff meeting on the topic of this "experiment"........

This thread certainly attracted a lot of "assertive" personality types that like to "challange" the system...and many natural born "leaders" shined through this process.

My guess is the ATS staff are smart people with "healthy" egos themselves, so it is understandable why this whole thing was a challenge to manage...but I commend them on allowing the process to play out.

As fun and interesting as this whole thing was, much of what we discuss here on ATS are very serious matters...and God knows we have to start somewhere...I have learned more about the world around me in the last couple of years then I had learned my whole life, and a large part of my "education" was done on ATS, a lot of brilliant minds here.......

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

I can ask around out in the barn, there's flies out there around the horses sometimes and maybe they heard something!!

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel

My guess is the ATS staff are smart people with "healthy" egos themselves, so it is understandable why this whole thing was a challenge to manage...but I commend them on allowing the process to play out.

You're right, but part of being the "top dawgs" is realizing that gnats present no danger, so you let them play. In other words, us peon were never any real challenge to them, they knew that, and were content to let us play. their only challenge was to make sure we didn't climb out of our boxes and set the house on fire!

look at a lion laying out on the savannah in the noon sun, flicking his tail so that the cubs have something to keep themselves occupied with. he amuses himself by amusing them, but they are never, ever, any real danger to him.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

LOL...ok let me know what you find out........ok, now for my "wisdom" of the day........

It is a very, very, bad idea to drink beer all day in the sun and jump on the back of a horse in a bikini and barefeet.......trust me on this one!

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
They dropped off your Regent Ride!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I also learned that my grand daughters, who are only 2 and 4 years old, are amazingly perceptive.
They looked at my avatar, and said "that's YOU!"
Later, after the crown and robe were donned, the asked why I was suddenly wearing a "red dress"...

Oh my, I feel like Kevin Costner in 'Robin Hood -Prince Of Thieves'!
(Although I'm still not sure how he got to Nottingham Forest from the Cliffs of Dover
-via Hadrian's Wall and Richmond in North Yorkshire!)

"...I have a brother...? I have a brother"

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel

LOL...ok let me know what you find out........ok, now for my "wisdom" of the day........

It is a very, very, bad idea to drink beer all day in the sun and jump on the back of a horse in a bikini and barefeet.......trust me on this one!

It might be a bad idea in the final analysis, but I'd pay perfectly good money to watch it unfold!

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

WOOT!

I ordered the mahogany version, but that'll do!

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress
reply to post by nenothtu

I also learned that my grand daughters, who are only 2 and 4 years old, are amazingly perceptive.
They looked at my avatar, and said "that's YOU!"

Oh my, I feel like Kevin Costner in 'Robin Hood -Prince Of Thieves'!
(Although I'm still not sure how he got to Nottingham Forest from the Cliffs of Dover
-via Hadrian's Wall and Richmond in North Yorkshire!)

"...I have a brother...? I have a brother"

He took the scenic route, of course! He only stopped at Dover for a bit of chalk to mark his way - Purple Chiten was eating all the bread crumbs!

They also say your avatar makes them uneasy - they can't see any eyes!

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Hey purple Chiten?

Can you make me a nice avatar, something that is kinda cool yet fitting for me and ATS?

I do not have any ideas so you can use your imagination!

I would appreciate it! I just want something different yet totally cool for the video

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I'm going to miss this project.

It never failed in providing laughs.

to everyone.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB

Hey purple Chiten?

Can you make me a nice avatar, something that is kinda cool yet fitting for me and ATS?

I do not have any ideas so you can use your imagination!

I would appreciate it! I just want something different yet totally cool for the video

Sure! It may take me a day or so... headed now for a good nap!!

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

WOOT!

I ordered the mahogany version, but that'll do!

A little redwood stain and it'll be fine!

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join