It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HR 163 (Draft Bill) Voted Down 2-402

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Well the Draft proposal that was alive in the House was voted down last night by the House. The 2 votes for the proposal came from Democrats John P. Murtha (D-PA) and Pete Stark (D-CA).

The media screams and yells that a draft is imminent and then when it is voted down not even a peep out of them.

clerk.house.gov...

thomas.loc.gov...:HR00163:@@@L&summ2=m&

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Wait a minute...

So 2 democrats voted for the bill, and a democrat proposed it?

But
But...
But the e-mail said that Bush wanted the draft and that we'd all die if we don't vote democratic. Was I lied to?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Perhaps that is why it was voted down...because of all the fuss about it. BTW, I think there is another thread about this.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
For one I am surprised at the lack of responces this thread is receiving. Where are the individuals that claimed there would be a draft put into place the day after the election by Bush and the Republicans. Seriously where are you guys?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I'm glad to hear this. However, why do I have a felling that even though the bill was shot down, the draft will eventually be put into place by order of the President alone?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
No, I'm sure everyone believed that our federal government would pass a bill reinstating the draft one month before election day. That would go over real well

This is one of those meaningless votes, much like the recent vote on the gay marriage amendment. It's more for show than anything else; I doubt there is anyone who seriously thought it would pass.

EDIT: Yes, like the poster above me, this vote really has no bearing on whether or not the draft will be reinstated. It certainly doesn't make me sleep any better knowing that since a statement bill was voted down soundly, it means the draft will not make a comeback in the near future...

[edit on 6-10-2004 by W_HAMILTON]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder
I'm glad to hear this. However, why do I have a felling that even though the bill was shot down, the draft will eventually be put into place by order of the President alone?

The President cannot order a draft alone it takes Congress to enact a draft.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Perhaps that is why it was voted down...because of all the fuss about it. BTW, I think there is another thread about this.

Good observation. I agree, especially with the debates going on right now, I believe if the bill was passed, then Bush would get a lot of heat for it and he'd basically be screwed, even though Democrats proposed it. I think though, they are probably going to try again after the elections.

LL1

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I'm really glad to hear it was voted down, perhaps it will mean
an end to war.
We'll see how this pans out after election.

new topics

top topics

join