It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever made someone question their beliefs via religious debate?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Ah okey than we are okey. haha

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by sinohptik
reply to post by NotApplicable

Remember too, that most living organisms are made up of significant percentages of water. I have little doubt someone has done a calculation taking these things into account though. If it actually interests you that much, try google?

All organisms are internally water and the major percentage of mass. Water brings life to everything!

Mother nature (Earth) gives life via water. Even batteries require water to produce energy.

Christians are baptised for this reason using water which represents life of the internal positive spirit!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Why do people kneel for the pope ore pray to the teacher Jesus?
God is the only one??

Sorry i didnt want to reply only to you, yet I hit the reply button. I got the impuls after reading your comment
edit on 13-6-2012 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

I didn't see this until after I answered...
We are a fine lot this evening!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Archangelelijah

There is water everywhere though, water can be found in large quantities throughout the universe. So why is "mother earth" the giver of life via water here, but other places there is water and no life? Could it just be that water is here and thats it?

edit on 13-6-2012 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
you honestly believe that there is an Noooo-knowing, Nooo-power, Nooo being, NOOOO nothing that created the WHOLE universe, and who doesnt exist in any dimension called anything?"
Facepalm.
Your words are just silly.

Why is believing there's no invisible being that created everything more silly than believing there is?

No one knows for sure either way, so neither one is silly theoretically speaking.

However, if you bring logic into it, all the evidence we have of evolution and natural selection, believing there is an invisible being that magically created us suddenly becomes very silly. Of course that's a matter of opinion but I think that is the opinion of an educated, not biased person that's allowed to look at both sides and take evidence and logic in to account. For you to call someone silly for not believing a book with NO evidence and NO logic is very ironic.

Evolution vs Creationism is basically "Something vs Nothing" in terms of evidence and logic.

One of them seems very silly when you look at it that way.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Julio

Slightly unrelated, but what does is mean when people say they have a relationship with God? People will sometimes say they talk to God and God talks back. Please, no half-assed "it's an experience you can't explain, man", just give me the straight facts. I am legitimately curious, and I won't make fun of you. I get very frustrated when I ask a religious person what seems to be a simple question and they quote something out of the big B or speak in riddles.

I just recently started to really believe in GOD... i did before but that was just because i was told if you believe in him youll go to heaven.. and i wanted to go to heaven so i said that i believed and wanted to but i didnt really get it, i guess i was realy fakeing it.. But now i know i have a full belief in god.. knowing that THE CREATOR of every little thing that simply IS, is from his energy.. every humans beings thought process is apart of god.. just you thinking and your concioussness is connected with god...
So i would say that when people have a relationship with god.. they see the reality of life.. they see how god is the all divine energy and see that with following his ways of being good, and living a peaceful life, and wanting to follow his ways, then you are connected with god.. But i have not communicated or have had a conversation with god.. but i would say that if you really have a problem or need to speak to god then you will be able to.. and i see it as not physically speaking but communicating through your thought process with him, because even just what you think god will be able to understand you....
I started to really believe in god just recently. but right before i started believing in him i started studying about the energy of people and their auras and stuff like that.. and then that led me to learning about the whole energy thing thats in the universe and then it all came to me about god and everything that all that energy that is in us.. and every living thing and all atoms and molecule that makes up everything.. is apart of god and is a small part of him spread throughout anything that exists.....
Thats how i see it all.. and there is truly alot more about god than i even know but thats what i have to say! haha.. thanks for posting this.. i like to be able to tell other people what my thoughts are about my beliefs.. and there is still a whole lot more to know about extra-terrestials and god-like entities that are even connected with god that i find very interesting and is stuff that i want to even find more about.. i relate higher power extra-terrestials like that basically as angels.. so i see it as some sorts of extra-terrestrials are angels..
when i thought of it like that it made more sense to me about angels and stuff.. if that makes sense to you im not sure.. but i just wanted to add that haha...
But again.. thanks for the post!
peace and love man!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
And also.. what made me a strong believer is seeing a show called beyond and back..
its stories people had of dying and the experience they had in the afterlife.. a lot of its pretty amazing!.. and for the most part the same thing happens.. they experience an all loving, all knowing kind of energy they say.. almost unexplainable.. some even said they got to see their entire life in front of them.. being able to know it all at one time.. and being able to feel all of the feelings they had in their life and all of the feelings the other people they met with had.. its pretty crazy..
hearing all of the experiences people had and their stories made me really believe in the afterlife and believe in god even more... its pretty awesome

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

There is water everywhere though, water can be found in large quantities throughout the universe. So why is "mother earth" the giver of life via water here, but other places there is water and no life? Could it just be that water is here and thats it?

Water is only found on a planet at a certain distance from its star. The Sun is our star. The further away you go from the Sun water freezes and the closer you go it evaporates. The Goldilocks zone where water is found is known as 0pt!

With the Sun male and the Earth female giving life to all organisms.

Time comes from Sun worship or the Earths calender rotation of the Sun.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Julio

I have no idea really. I, as a Christian, do not set out to "convert" anyone and here's the reason why. God converts. When God Himself calls someone, the gospel that they have heard in the past 'kicks in' shall we say. He can apply pressure to this individual, and open their eyes to His Truth. I will participate in some debates, but as a Christian, I know my role isn't to convince anyone of my Faith but simply to give you a reason for my hope. I'm not able to convince you of His Presence, I can't make anyone believe, I can't convert - My Father has this role - He is the one who turns your mind to Him. Last year I was pretty much agnostic - sitting on the fence yet always believed in the theory of evolution. Then He applied pressure in my life, opened my eyes to the deceit and evil in the world, which led me to seek HIM for an answer as to what I was suddenly seeing. See, perhaps in the ten Sunday school lessons that I attended forty years ago, someone told me that He was the God of Truth and "seek and ye shall find". They had sown the words in my heart at one point in my life, and He used that to REAP. He answered that prayer and gave me to Jesus - I then believed. The theory of evolution now makes me cry, for I know that it is the basis of the lie that He allows in the end of this Age. It is powerful and appeals to logic and reason which are of the soul but not the spirit, it is a 'creation story' for religions called atheism and humanism, and it has the most powerful preachers available - all forms of media and the school system. It's PULPIT is everywhere and reaches billions instead of 100 in a church. But I could not see this before I found Him. Just as atheists claim that kids are brainwashed into a belief in God, they cannot see that by removing God from school, media, government and many homes, and substituting another 'creation story' that they themselves have sucked in the poison of atheism. they too have been 'brainwashed'. But again, those called by Our Father will come to understand this reality.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Thats not true at all there is liquid water other places in our solar system more specifically on Jupiter's moon Europa. Also, there have been discoveries of liquid water around stars and on other planets. I'll link a few examples below.

Water on Extrasolar Planets
Water Filled Galaxy
Water on Jupiter's moon Europa

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Julio

Nope, the more reasonable and logical you get, the more unreal they get.
Arguing religion with the religious is akin to winning the special olympics.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I think I've made people question their beliefs, planted the seed.

But it really doesn't matter.

Been to church recently? It's all old people.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Debate is less effective to deconstruct religion, in my opinion.

Just speak up what you are thinking about religion on public spaces, whenever you please, or whenever there is a chance to. On twitter, or facebook, or on a blog, or forums like this, etc.

Its far more effective and efficient this way. I only do debates when my mood is on its peak. The goal is not to convince your opponent, but rather the other readers. Quantity beats quality here. Since anyone who is willing to jump into a dabate is most likely very prepared to go through the fight. So, a debate is going to be very long and exhausting. And drains all your energy, plus your time for almost nothing in return.

You dont gain much, really in a debate. Except you are still learning and want to explore as much as possible in the area.

edit on 13-6-2012 by coyote66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

In an evolution vs creation debate, have you managed to open the other person's mind?

I have no idea if I have or not.

I tell everyone, on both sides, to keep an open mind because both creation and evolution are THEORIES. Neither has been proven beyond a doubt. And I say that, if evolution happened, that doesn't mean that God wasn't involved and that He didn't use evolution as His way of creating people. God is omnipotent and can do whatever He wants. And I say that if God was involved, it doesn't mean that science goes out the window because we are very small and uninformed in the ways of God and science. And I say that if we were 'seeded from space' (which I think probably happened) .. that doesn't exclude Gods hand in the seeding and it doesn't exclude science at all.

I tell people that we don't know and anything is possible so we need to keep open minds.

Believing that one theory is better than another doesn't exclude the other theories.
They ALL could have happened together.
Now .. if anyone here has had their mind changed because of what I just said .. lemme' know.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by willrush
And also.. what made me a strong believer is seeing a show called beyond and back..

I just recently started watching that. The back episodes are on demand ...
It's really a good show. Most everyone I believed. There were probably two that I didn't ...
But the rest ... wow. NDE experiences are interesting.
Kinda funny how bad NDE experiences happen, but they don't get as much attention as the nice ones.
edit on 6/13/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I tell everyone, on both sides, to keep an open mind because both creation and evolution are THEORIES. Neither has been proven beyond a doubt.

Why do you lie to people? Evolution is both theory and fact. Creation is just a collective term for origin myths invented by humans. It's not a theory in any sense of the word (a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena).

As to OP. I don't know. I'm just here to answer thoughtful questions and to point out blatant creationist lies.
edit on 13-6-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

How many times must it be pointed out that a scientific theory is supported by a large body of evidence, not some wild guess? Is it because creationists are ignorant or intellectually dishonest? Let's see: the creationist side lie and distort the truth, playing on people's ignorance by trying to passing off falsehood as fact and attempt to sow the seeds of doubt by rehashing the same discredited lies whilst the scientific side support their arguments with objective evidence and reason. One side clings desperately to their book of fiction and reject outright evidence that contradicts their fairytale whilst the other is not afraid of evidence and is willing to change it's stance in light of new evidence. Guess which side is which. I know which side I trust more.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Julio

Most people hold very strong beliefs, and atheists are no exeption. Just as you will not be convincing anyone but an ignorant religious person of atheism, nor will you be convincing any atheist of religion. It is not because of any truths either, it is because people strongly hold whatever beliefs they have, and argument will not sway a person by the time they reach full adulthood.

I have had debates with atheists, and have the ability to argue well my points for creation.(Hilberts hotel, actual infinite etc) but when someones beliefs are challenged, they simply get angry. Beleifs do not change even when the argument is lost on their part, they convince themselves that they simply found someone who has more knowledge than they and that they must therefore become more knowledgable in their own belief, and should they do this, next time they will not loose.

Facts matter little, all that seems to matter is belief. I have gotten people to admit however that they are not 'true' atheists. But this is about it. I have quit debating long ago, its pointless for the aforementioned reasons. I know what I believe and why I believe it, and believe the facts are there to support my case with reason, and this is what matters to me.

That said, a relationship with God is an experiencial matter, that is specific to the person. Someone else will not be able to share this with you in a manner in which you, a person who did not have the experience, can understand. Sometimes it is just a feeling, sometimes it is outer signs, things that cannot be explained, sometimes beings might speak to a person in a dream or a vision. None of this is applicable to anyone but the individual having said experience, and all of this can be explained away rationally, or believed, depending upon who you are asking.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
My mom is religious(a bit above average but not extreme), i guess my grandma must have been very religious and because of that my mom in the science field was stunted (my mom was a math teacher). i was explaining about evolution and basic science involving genes and traits, mutation.. she was amazed, other than sperm and egg and sex producing children, she didn't know anything at the level of DNA.

Now she is not on my side, but she respects my side.. and now she even says "its the time.. that's how we were taught to look at..and your grandma probably did that as well from her mom"

Its the this generation and future generation to break the cycle! w/e it maybe, hopefully break the fairy tale side

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I tell everyone, on both sides, to keep an open mind because both creation and evolution are THEORIES. Neither has been proven beyond a doubt.

Why do you lie to people? Evolution is both theory and fact.

No. NATURAL SELECTION is a fact.
Evolution - where one species becomes another - is just a theory.
You really shouldn't go spewing around the boards, calling people 'liars'
when you yourself aren't exactly telling the truth .. ya' know?

Again .. everyone on all sides of the origins debate should keep an open mind.
We are all small and uninformed. There is a lot of information we don't know.
Evolution may be how we formed.
Or we could have been created by a Being bigger and smarter and more powerful.
Or both.
Or we could have been 'seeded' here.
Either accidently or by the designs of a Bigger and more powerful being.

We do not know. Keep an open mind.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join