It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA SDO hi-res video: Venus TRANSLUCENT??? How is that???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I've seen some speculative discussions in another forums about this anomaly. Depending on the SDO filter you can clearly "see through" Venus as it crosses the Sun's circumference.

I assume the official explanation is "optical illusion caused by the Sunlight reflecting on Venus surface" or something like that, but how come a planet can reflect the image of the surface of the Sun like a mirror, being at 108 million km from it?? I mean, we can clearly see the Sun's circumference on Venus surface.

Any out-of-the-box explanations??

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This is already being discussed here, started yesterday:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Any particular reason for duplicating the discussion?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 1AnunnakiBastard

looks like when you stare at a light bulb at close range and then peer into blackness.

After image effect. Not sure how vulnerable their light collection is compared to our eyes, but that's what I'm seeing.
edit on 6/6/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

Any particular reason for duplicating the discussion?

Is not like I owe you explanations, but I didn't see any satisfactory answer in that thread.

I would suspect that small arc of light in the silhouette of venus is simply an artifact resulting from some sort of burn in on the sensor.

"Simply an artifact on the sensor"??? I don't buy it!
edit on 6/6/2012 by 1AnunnakiBastard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

looks like when you stare at a light bulb at close range and then peer into blackness.

After image effect. Not sure how vulnerable their light collection is compared to our eyes, but that's what I'm seeing.
edit on 6/6/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

I don't know what looks like "stare at a light bulb" through the eyes of a spacecraft with solar filters. Because we're looking at one video made with images of an spacecraft, right??

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
No problem.

Video overlays. Take a look at the still shots of Venus and compare them to the videos. Notice how also Venus appearing "translucent" is limited to those cameras shot in other than the visible spectrum.

Not that I owe you any answers either (see? I can be rude too)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

No problem.

Video overlays. Take a look at the still shots of Venus and compare them to the videos. Notice how also Venus appearing "translucent" is limited to those cameras shot in other than the visible spectrum.

Progressive changing in the illumination across the surface seems very hard to occur in overlayered images. From 0:30 to 0:40 it looks more like a solid surface reflecting the circumference of the Sun. If that's what happened, still not explained how a planet 108 million km far from the Sun can reflect it like a mirror.

Not that I asked YOU any answers, even because you were more interested in dismiss my thread in your first comment, than present any answer. So don't expect people being polite when you are eager to make them look like fools.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1AnunnakiBastard

No problem.

Progressive changing in the illumination across the surface seems very hard to occur in overlayered images. From 0:30 to 0:40 it looks more like a solid surface reflecting the circumference of the Sun. If that's what happened, still not explained how a planet 108 million km far from the Sun can reflect it like a mirror.

Not that I asked YOU any answers, even because you were more interested in dismiss my thread in your first comment, than present any answer. So don't expect people being polite when you are eager to make them look like fools.

1) You're being presumptuous. I'm not eager to make anyone look like a fool. No where in my first post did I say anything that should have led you to feel that way. I showed that a thread on this topic has already been started, and asked why you felt the need to start another thread on the same topic. If you feel that this is making a fool of you, I highly recommend you seek some counseling.

2) You became hostile immediately after I asked a innocent question. Not me.

3) You are violating the forum's T&C's by starting a duplicate thread on the very same subject that was started a day ago. The other thread is not very old (again, less than a day). You have not started a new thread with your own theories as to why we might be seeing what we see in the video.
Instead, you posted a video and asked the same question as the OP in the earlier thread.

Because you don't "buy" the explanations of posters in the other thread is not a good enough reason to start a new thread. If you have your own theories, then present them.

Now, if you'd like to talk about why Venus appears to be translucent in certain videos and not in others, that would be an intelligent discussion. But first you need to offer WHY you do not "buy" others explanations, and present what you think is going on instead.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

imo it looked like a cgi,not only because of transparency but it was so perfectly round?
very strange..

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join