It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Comics' Green Lantern is now gay

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
If the gays need/want a super hero, surely a new one could have been invented, instead of messing with the sexuality of one such as Green Lantern who has been established in the minds of his fans just the way he is! I don't even know why sexuality has to be brought up in a comic strip anyway, especially one with a character who has been a hero to millions of kids for decades. What's next, a black one legged lesbian? My sincere apologies to those who are physically challenged, but I'm only trying to not miss anyone out, lest I be labelled as being discriminatory.
I haven't read a comic strip for about 50 years, and for the life of me can't think of any reason why the writers would choose Green Lantern, when they have Batman and his boy wonder, Robin.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by PhantomLimb
Doesn't it seem like DC is just throwing a gay character out there just to have one?

Looks like a pitch to get extra $$$ from the homosexual community.

I'm surprised the guy doesn't shoot rainbows out of his eyes.

Good thing Batman is my favorite hero.

Show me a company that doesn't want to make more profit.

He can only use the color green so no rainbows just greenbows.

Batman was a pedo.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaughterOfARevolver
reply to post by Vasa Croe

really!? here comes the polotical correct BS? What about real life shouldn't that be what kids reading comics take away, the grand ole Morel of the marvel?

how about instead of having a homosexual hero we deal with real life like, the hero stepping in on such hate crimes and sticking up for the gays, there's no need to encourage in in young kids onto what they don't yet understand, let them make the decisions when they are older, 'not i wanna be gay like me fav hero'....lame just lame

X2 baby girl!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Why is it a big deal that some Marvel character turned out to be gay?

Is it really going to affect the sales?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bkrmn
If the gays need/want a super hero, surely a new one could have been invented, instead of messing with the sexuality of one such as Green Lantern who has been established in the minds of his fans just the way he is! I don't even know why sexuality has to be brought up in a comic strip anyway, especially one with a character who has been a hero to millions of kids for decades. What's next, a black one legged lesbian? My sincere apologies to those who are physically challenged, but I'm only trying to not miss anyone out, lest I be labelled as being discriminatory.
I haven't read a comic strip for about 50 years, and for the life of me can't think of any reason why the writers would choose Green Lantern, when they have Batman and his boy wonder, Robin.

Because, no one is interested in "Rainbow Man." What do they do instead of creating their own, they highjack a popular hetero comic and queer it up. I can not believe the odacity they exhibit when they try to convince us that it won't have a negative effect on our young impressionable boys. ppffftttt?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Why is it a big deal that some Marvel character turned out to be gay?

Is it really going to affect the sales?

It isn't a big deal except to the diehard Green Lantern fans. He was actually not gay since the beginning. He was married and actually had a gay son. They are re-inventing him now and starting with him as a young man again without that past and making him gay. Just odd they did not create a new character and build a story around it.

And as someone earlier posted....what does sexual preference have to do with comics anyways...not really sure why it is even written into a comic in the first place.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
reply to post by KnawLick

Actually it's 10-15%

They're claiming 15% now? I remember back when 10% was considered an exaggeration.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Actually it will. If you look at the recent X-Men comic with the marriage between two homosexual characters it sold so well that stores had to limit it to one issue per person. These will end up being collectibles.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Wouldn't this make him the "Rainbow Lantern" ??

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Turkenstein

I agree!
line 2.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Turkenstein

There actually is a new homosexual character in DC. His name is Miguel Barragan aka Bunker and he's a member of the Teen Titans.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953
I really don't understand why they couldn't have a new character who happened to be homosexual. Alan Scott is free to be as gay as he wants to be, but the fact that they used one of DC's oldest, respected and beloved characters, this just seems to be solely for publicity.

Heavy emphasis on "one of," here. GL is actually relatively minor, in the grand scheme of things; which I'm guessing also had a lot to do with why it was him that was chosen for this.

GL is sufficiently popular that gays can't claim that a truly obscure character came out purely in order to appease them on the one hand, but he is also sufficiently obscure, that there likely won't be huge outcry from people who might otherwise object to this. DC have hedged their bets here, in a very skillful manner.

There'd probably be rioting in the streets if Clarke Kent was to announce to Lois that he'd really been in the closet all along.

edit on 1-6-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy

Wouldn't this make him the "Rainbow Lantern" ??

Haha brilliant. Still laughing. Kekekeke.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Batman was a pedo.

Actually, there's no suggestion of sex here at all. There was a time when it was possible for two people to sleep next to each other, without it being automatically assumed that sex was involved.

The main reason why that has changed, is because of the homosexual assumption that celibacy or asexuality is unthinkable. Gays seem incapable of avoiding any opportunity for implying homosexuality, anywhere they can find it.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This crap should not be in comics. At least its not the "main green lantern" Hal Jordan. Its the WWII Green Lantern who was amarried man and not a member of the Oa Green lantern corps.

Its just a bunch of political crap put forth (DC already has two down and dirty gay dudes "Midnighter" and "Apollo"

see link www.gayleague.com...

Comics use to be a great way to escape day to day chit. When I was a kid , I'd get lost in "Harvey comics"

Hot stuff, Spooky, and Richie Rich. Then as I got older DC's Legion of super heros, superboy, Sgt. Rock and

many more...no political crap or agenda crap just good escape store telling...

Theres very little left for a normal boy and girl to go to.... to just escape into a alternate land of wonder ...it all has

to be pushed in their collective minds. BAHH!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

And as someone earlier posted....what does sexual preference have to do with comics anyways...not really sure why it is even written into a comic in the first place.

Comics have always been on the cutting edge of social issues. Especially when it comes to treating those who may be different as equals. I mean the X-Men were essentially a product of the civil rights movement. One of the greatest story arcs of all-time (Green Lantern/Green Arrow #85-86) dealt with drug abuse. So if comics shouldn't deal with topics like sexuality should it also not have dealt with these other topics?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I was actually hoping it was Batman, it would make much more sense if you really think about it. I find it interesting nonetheless.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

I forgot about that. Bruce and Robin did have some serious homoerotic undertones. They slept in the same bed for years!

Actually a lot of old comics had those themes, come to think of it.

Fun Fact: In this same universe (Earth 2) there will be a great deal of sexual tension between Batman and Robin...because Robin is now the same age as Batman, and Female!

Here's a pic of the "new" Robin... Formerly known as Huntress

edit on 1-6-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-6-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bkrmn

One actually HAD been created. In the Marvel X-Men comics, Northstar had come out as publicly gay, and is even marrying his partner in the next issue.

I think in this regard, DC is just trying to compete, and match Marvel in its tolerance and pathways towards homosexuality.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join