It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talking Back...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Have you ever tried to talk backwards? Like, actually speaking the exact opposite of whatever language you speak? I was playing around with language, exploring the effects the sounds had on the human mind...

At best, it would entertain people everywhere. It's a ridiculous study, but I don't underestimate anything sound-related. I was idly wondering, and this idea came to me. Reverse language...a fun little study into how the structure of our inflections and tones affects our language, as well as how we sound to each other. Maybe we can even tie it into Noetics or psionics research.
Anyway, I gave it a try.

And this is what I came up with:

Your

Reh - oy

when

Neh - eew

up

Puh

use

Sss-uey

word

druw

The Most Common Words In English

Feel free to experiment on your own! I know it sounds ridiculous, but do I have to serious all the time? I'm not even sane!

edit on 31-5-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Yeah, too bad linguistics anthropology doesn't look more into this stuff (if they haven't already; I've never heard of any studies). Backward sounds always interest me whenever I am recording some music or speech, I always listen to some bits backwards just to see if they sound more interesting.

However, backwards speech actually just scares the McNuggets out of me. I can't listen to backwards speech for too long because something about it makes me feel really nervous. No, no, I'm not of the crowd that thinks it's satanic messages or anything. It just sounds like insanity to me. Gibberish.

I do like the theory that backwards speech still encodes our intent and thoughts. I would be interested in seeing more research on these theories though.

So....get to work!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Some people seem to believe that arranging your words to send a special message when played backward is a great way to control the masses...

Then again, who spends their time listening to music backwards?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Oh, I wouldn't discount that either. I'm sure somewhere, someone is doing exactly that. Look at bands like ELO. They used a few backwards speech messages. Their album "Secret Messages" was filled with em as an acknowledgement of the backward masking phenomenon. Now, I'm not saying Electric Light Orchestra was out to brainwash anybody..but I'm sure someone is.

For that to work though means that we could hear backwards speech, receive it, and somehow subconsciously analyze it for reversal of its meaning. Or, perhaps like I said, maybe the original thought and intent is still encoded whether the speech is normal or reversed.

Wish there were some linguists out there who were interested in this stuff. But, I suppose it also borders on neurochemistry and psychology at the same time..and probably paranormal to boot.

The only thing I can suggest is getting yourself a mic and some recording software (windows should have one) and just experimenting and playing around with the reversal of words and sounds (which seems to be what you're already doing). I like trying words and sentences in different ways. Like stressing accents in different places and saying them in different tones and attitudes.

So far, no results!

edit on 31-5-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join