It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But NONE Of Them Pay Living Wages!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

I don't think so.

This is a good subject that should be discussed in a RESPECTFUL manner and not childish responses like yours.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Soon Americans will only be able to afford tiny honeycomb apartments like the ones they have in Japan.

www.yesicanusechopsticks.com...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

When was the last time you were unemployed?

How long did it take you to find another job?

First time I was laid off 8 years ago, took me 10 months to find another job.

3 years ago, it took 3 months to find another job.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
Just how much money do people think they need to live and be happy? Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, especially if you have dependents, but if you are single and cannot find a job in your field then suck it up, go to that job you thinks beneath you, and you may learn something about character and hard work.

I don't know wether or not it's appropriate to chime in to this post, but what the hell. When I was a much younger man in the early1980's, I started my first company. I had a policy back then as I still do of recognizing that there is no commodity as great as human potential. To make a point, at the time I started my third company (1988), I had the occasion to meet with some of the richest industrialist's on the planet. I was speaking to the person who at the time was the 12th richest person on the planet.

We talked about our respective companies in how we ran things, the why's and were's of what we did and why. After I gave my song and dance this guy looked straight at me, and laughed in my face. He called me an idiot for paying people twice the money for a given skill, the fact I gave a years fully paid maternity leave, and fully paid vacations for an employees family. And more. I told him if he would like to step outside we could compare IQ's and that I would blow him out of the water.

He's still rich. But today so am I. And I can sleep very well with the way I did things. I wonder if he can?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Update, my nieghbor told me he found us a job and to come over to his box and he will exsplain it to me. Wow, i got a job. We are going to be traveling music men. I will be the drummer, and when we get enough money saved, we could update to the traveling clowns with benefits. I asked what are the benefits. He said free medic aide. Just go into the bathroom of home and there will be a cabinet full of useful drugs for when you get sick. COOL.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
having a job and making money are 2 completely different things.

job = getting paid to make other people money.

making money = paying people to make you money or doing it yourself.

example

you: i can move that rock for you for $20.
guy: sure, for $15 you got a deal.
you: hey schmuck, i'll give you $3 to move that rock.
schmuck: that'll take all day but i need the money.

6 hrs later.

schmuck: i'm all done.

you: o.k. guy, i moved your rock.
guy : here's your money.

schmuck: finally pay day.
you: good job schmuck. minus taxes, insurance, liability and unemployment your pay comes to
$1.25. see you tomorrow.

edit on 20-5-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

That's a really common business practice. The economic systems we have today encourage this kind of behavior. But... if the schmuck does not know that it is happening, then it is not happening, right?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
first day on the job and we made a total of 30 dollars and split it. The traveling music band does not pay so well, but the traveling clowns pays more with benefits. The kids were all helpful and we made them all laugh. After their parents paid us ,we even got invited to the pool out back. A wonderful view of the street. The storm clogged a drain and the kids let us swim in their pool. We got paid to make people laugh, how wonderful, the joys of life. Later we were hungry and went into a resturant and was told to get out. We found a grocery store after a long walk and once we were dried off i was able to buy. 6 cans of tuna, a loaf of bread, and some mayo. I had 3 bucks left and decided to save for my retirement.
Wow, i got to save 3 dollars today for retirement.
Thats 1095 a year and in 20 years i could have 21,900 dollars.
Only 20 years in this box.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
If more people worked as hard at finding jobs as they do finding excuses, then unemployment would be at 3%.

Just my humble opinion.

INDEED!

I know jobs are hard to find, but "hard" does not mean "impossible." I think it's ridiculous that so many people expect to be handed every opportunity on a silver platter. Quite frankly that crap is going to bankrupt America. In the modern global economy, nobody should expect anything for free.

I know it's impolite to talk about specific numbers but whatever I'm going to do it anyway.

I don't have a college education, or even any vocational school. After high school I decided to bum around, smoke weed, and generally be a low wage earner forever.

Then, I met my wife, and we had a kid. And I realized that minimum wage wasn't going to cover the bills. What did I do? Apply for food stamps and ask for free college? No. I hit the pavement and applied for jobs. And I kept applying for jobs until I found a good one. They're out there. And now, I still don't have any college degrees but I just started a new job that pays $70k per year anyway.

It isn't impossible to move up. You just have to quit expecting society to move you up without any effort on your part.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Many people have been crying in the wilderness about this very topic for a while, even years ago, and even way before that. What can I say sometimes everybody just got to stop there blabber and listen for a bit. It is obvious the system does not work, and it was never meant to work exempt of a few.

Humans not that long ago if you think about it came out of the tribal system, and in the end even the system they all conform to now is just a mismatched tribal system, only on a global scale and scope that always seems to be lacking when push comes to shove, most people call that push "recessionary" or "depression" or sometimes even a great depression. But I suppose even a corporation is just a form of corporeal systematic tribalism under a different name and with a bit different rules.

As it stands so far humanities power of illusions is stronger then all there other so called powers, so much so that they even deceive themselves that it is more then it is, and that they are more then they are. And off-course they are mistaken, in error. The global world wide government enterprise is a flawed concept at best, a scam at worst. And you definitely don't need more middlemen muddling things up for there profits and benefits and complicating things that should be simple. Because a lot of unnecessary things lead to a lot of unnecessary problems.

But that is the thing government is good at, installing middlemen and calling it progress, its kind of like sweeping dirt under the carpet and calling it clean.
The whole Union thing is alright, but give them enough leverage and power then they just become another government onto there own, and again just another thing to worry about in the end, as all power leads to corruption. And the elite and the rich, well there simple in what there about and how they make there moneys and power, its called the pyramid system and its an energy siphoning system among a few other things. The main way they use it, is to siphon the energy called $$$$ by using the power of illusions and by dangling the carrot in front of the donkeys that pull there cart's forward.

Blah! there is really nothing to say on it that has not been said before a million times.

This whole thing is a problem of peoples prerogatives and paradigms and priorities, meaning there prerogatives and paradigms are insufficient, and there priorities are in the wrong places. And as such they will reap as they sow.

But I suppose one can just put up songs that say in a few minutes what can be said in hours upon hours wording.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by vexati0n

Yeah, i can understand you man. I just got a job as a travalin clown with benafits. Really, plenty of jobs out there. I am an example of that.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This is an employers’ market. Think about it for a while and you will understand that what the poster states is exactly correct and right on target. There are, however, ways to fight against the rot that has taken hold of ours, and the world’s economies.
1. Right now, companies hire only from the set of potential employees who have experience, and have the ‘paper’ to prove their worth. Why is this? They can. In spite of billions spent on worker training programs and uncounted billions in education it puts nothing on the employer to change. We need a reformation in all of our systems. We need apprenticeships, realistic training and education aimed specifically at how we can best advance our next generation for worthwhile work. I would end all government unions, just as a start, to gain the flexibility we need to move on.
2. Simplify business regulations to provide certainty to those who are, and want to be, in business. My answer, that nobody ever seems to bring up, is to place changes in regulations, which are legislative by their very nature, back with the real legislators – congress. This should never have been ceded to faceless federal workers. Also, the same can be said for enforcing the law, it should reside with the Department of Justice and the federal court system – not politically appointed administrative law judges and quasi-law enforcement organizations run by scores of agencies.
3. Simplify the tax code and reduce taxes to levels that are best suited to bring business and manufacturing back to the US. Instead of vilifying those who renounce their US citizenship because of the tax rates, make the entire world want to be here because of the tax rates.
4. End the prevalence of healthcare provided by employers. In fact, make this an illegal business benefit to provide. This is, without doubt, an individual responsibility. Allow every adult to purchase their own, and their dependents, healthcare – regardless of where the insurance company has its corporate headquarters. The role of government is to vet for abuse and prosecute for fraud – not to run the program.
5. The same discussion can be stated for retirement as is presented for healthcare. Put it where it really belongs – at the individual level. Consider how much money even the poorest people who contribute into Social Security could have if they had a mutual fund with even a modest return. Nearly everyone would have enough in their estate to fund their own retirement just on the interest alone after a lifetime of work, about 40 years, at the same levels required by both employers and employees. And, if someone dies early they have at least something to pay back creditors and provide for dependents.
6. End illegal immigration with whatever measures as are necessary. Deport anyone and everyone who is here illegally with a bar to legal entry for at least a decade. Make illegal immigrants guilty of a felony and imprison for at minimum a year. If they use stolen or fraudulent identification add at minimum a year for each identification used. The numbers of people harmed by those who steal low-paying jobs and others’ identities is alarmingly high.
7. Make it really easy for those with advanced degrees earned legally in the US to remain and work in the US. Put those with advanced degrees who want to enter the US legally on a fast track for entry. The US needs people with education to advance our economy.
I know, a lot of this is really radical. The questions you should ask yourself are actually quite straightforward. If you cannot be trusted to fund your own healthcare, the raising of your own children, your own retirement and your own education why do you think someone in government can do better? In the end, they are just other Americans who decided to work for the government, while you did not. Don’t you honestly believe you can do better on your own?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Be better at what you do. If your good at what you do then it shouldn't be a problem finding a job. A recession is no excuse, I've had my job and left it because it wasn't suiting my needs. A few other people I know left their jobs and ended up doubling their salary. There are jobs and work, only for those good enough to stand out and do it though.

IT, hospitals, legal professions, etc. seem to have a wealth of openings. I guess some people need to have jobs created for them.

check the signature.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
It's a horrible brutal world out there. I'll add another data point. No, not me personally, thanks to some in-demand technical skills and a fine education (yes I had benefits of parental support etc!), I work one of the few decent-paying types of jobs left.

My home is in a normal middle class area---and all in the nearby malls I see store closures and half of them empty (previously full for the last 15 years I've seen until 2008). Empty lots, former gas stations razed and large stores closed and boarded up for years. A bunch more homeless.

My office is in an upper-middle-class area, and close to some very swanky areas (92067). There, I see tons of fancy food stores, every mall fully rented with elite stores of tutti-fruitti stuff, parking lots full.

What's really surprising is the vehicles I see coming into the gas station for a fillup and carwash. First, the gas station is the most expensive one I've seen in SD (premium is 4.79/gal) but that doesn't stop people, it's always packed. There are plenty of very new BMW's & Mercedes, at least 70% of the cars are expensive luxury models and fancy mommy-SUV's. Lots of V8 and V-12 AMG biturbos I see Porsche Panamera Turbos & Ferrarris with some frequency parking or getting washed and now Maseratis are hardly remarkable. These aren't the people workign in my building obviously, but the neighbors; also there are a number of fancy law firms nearby. Even during the depth recession I saw plenty of new luxury cars & SUV's (e.g. Lexus/MBZ etc), now there are the M-series and the Italian exotics. I believe the owner of that gas station has a MBZ CL65, it's parked outside very frequently. Looks exactly like this: www.mbusa.com...

Message: there really is tons of money around, but it's not going to YOU.
edit on 20-5-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

you are absolutely right. those out of work are being stigmatized

by the 80% that work, and mocked by the 1%. How utterly sad and insensitive.

there is a chord resonating within ATS on this topic now.

Many many years ago it seemed to me mathematically impossible

for so many thousands of millionaires to exist, and become exponentially

richer - without any consequence. The whole house of cards can

NOT be propped up forever. We just won't be able to predict when it will

fall, but it WILL be obvious when it starts....Get yourselves as ready as you can.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunder heart woman

Educate yourself for what is in demand.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mbkennel

MBK - you are pretty far south of my sister (90265) but she is a stay at

home mom, former lawyer, and her husband was out of work x last 2

years despite a huge take from his real estate investment finance job with

a private equity firm. Point? SoCal is so full of the beautiful rich in their

pristine luxury cars - but we don't really know their situations exactly, do we?

My sister's family is struggling - and this is the hard part to believe - on $650k

NOT counting bonus.... My zip code is almost as exhorbitant (02467) and

if I even go part time, we're gonna be homeless. Thankyou to the 1% (nope, Im not

in that group, but too close for comfort at 4% and I really don't care if i lose it all

because I would live better if I did what Luke 12:33 says!)

edit on 5/20/2012 by drphilxr because: spelling

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
It used to be that you were able to work a nice 40 hr/week job and have time for yourself and raising a good family, but now you have to work 2 - 3 jobs while no time for family and it all disintegrates; It is all part of the plan.

Those were factory worker jobs. We demand cheap goods, so the factory's moved the work to China, so that they could sell it cheaper and still be profitable.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I disagree op-

you have to fight for everything in this life

I referenced your thread in my thread-

Kent Walls Rant III: Testicular fortitude

cost cutting and proper planning are the keys

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Sorry but this attitude that there are no jobs is a cop out and an excuse to sit on your but and point your finger at someone else for making your life miserable.

Very few people get to have a job that they enjoy doing and get paid a decent salary for it. I am in the IT field and there is still more jobs than there are people to fill them. Maybe not down the street from you. Heck, you might even have to relocate somewhere.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join