It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 Today. Any advice?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
So I’m sixteen today.

I thought I might share it with people that may care a bit. Either way, I wanted to share some thoughts with you guys about how I feel and also maybe you could give me suggestions on my future decisions. Like life choices, work and so on.

Before I carry on about my feelings about this whole situation I wanted to say that I think I’m possibly the youngest ATS member on here and I have been getting a lot of weird reactions from people on ATS when I have told them of my actual age because they did not expect someone that young. It makes me laugh that some consider young teenagers as not intellectual human beings. I believe I outgrown that stage and therefore I’m happy that most think that I’m an adult.

Moving on, shall we?

I’m sure that many of you experienced this, those teenage years when you just want to leave and live somewhere else in a peaceful place away from your parents or just simply want some freedom. Well I want that freedom now. Not exactly a place of my own yet but some sort of freedom that allows me to decide my own things and what I want and do not need. Freedom of speech is a great tool that should be used although we are limited by it. But, either way I don’t share this with a lot because I fear my dad shooting my laptop...

I think I might as well tell you briefly that I and my dad are not the greatest friends but I would say even a greater enemy in my eyes. Something about him, his attitude towards me angers me because he is ignorant and none caring. That can affect your child’s mentality and future, if you didn’t know. Well it certainly is affecting mine and the only way I can escape this, by making videos on my YouTube channel My gaming youtube channel. for my viewers who at least enjoy what I make. That’s all I’ll say before I get emotional and carried away.

Thanks for reading this far.

So before I start questioning you lovely ATS members on life advice, I wanted to say sorry for letting it all out but it seems that the social network system and overall the internet is a place where I can escape the virtual reality that we live in for at least 5 minutes. It makes me sad that at times I can’t just fix things or get what i want because of financial problems (I have no money, no job and soon I’m starting college) and also with not much help at all I don’t think I can manage to do so in a while, so I have to live with this.

So ATS members... Any life advice? What should I do in the future and what should I avoid?
Thanks

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
First off, Happy Birthday.

And listen to the adults you trust. You will figure out soon enough that you won't know anything till at least your 30s.

And please, enjoy your energy and youth while you can!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Don't ever start drinking and smoking. Stay far far away from drugs. Stay in school and get a trade.

Wish to hell I had followed my own advice.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlight
Don't ever start drinking and smoking. Stay far far away from drugs. Stay in school and get a trade.

I second this

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I am 19 and in community college. GO to a UNIVERSITY. Some lady said Walmart is the reason Steve Jobs died today, she is our teacher.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Dont spend too much time in front of a screen.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Happy Bday. Have a good one.

My advice is dont be too hard on your Dad. Father/Son relationships are tricky. Its hard to imagine your Dad as a person at that age. He is just seen as Dad. I didnt have the best relationship with my Dad at 16 but he is my best friend right now. Im sure he is not your enemy even if it seems like it.

Also,have sex with as many chicks as you can while you are young. No serious girlfriends. As many as you can.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Great that you are growing up faster than me!!! Best advise for now is...Have a spot to put cash away and designate for something. One for car, One for fun, One for emergencies. So on and So on. I've been caught not having enough and having to ask for help which for me is a hard thing to do. Also have fun!!! Most of my memories are when I was acting stupid and doing stupid things. However if I had back ups like I told you some of my stupid actions wouldn't have effected me so much down the road.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Everyone is making it up as they go along.

It's amazing what people will do if you ask them nicely.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think you just plagiarized my life.
Advice? How much time do you have? First off, deal with your feelings towards your father and get rid of the negativity NOW. Better you feel better now than dealing with this eventually in your 30's. You'll have to make peace with it eventually, sooner is better.

Take advantage of all opportunities. Will cost at home be minimal if you are in school? You can't have enough education. Once you have a base it makes it easier to flip the world the Bird. 5 years isn't a long time and having things "your way" are a helluva lot more interesting imo.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlight

What and he will miss out of some of the best years ever! Everyone needs to get carried away once you just can't go crazy

Happy birthday my advice to you would be.

If you haven't lost it, lose it.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Happy birthday!

I think the best advice I can give is to invest your time now in a trade that you love and that you can stick with for the rest of your life. Life doesn't become any easier as you age unless you truly enjoy what you are doing every day.

And to the father situation, I cant really help you there. See, when I was 16 I was a busy kid, playing baseball in school and working hard to keep my grades up in anticipation of going to college and playing ball. Then I received a random phone call from a gentleman telling me that my father was having an affair with his wife. I lit my first cigarette, took my first shot of whiskey, and did other things that are forbidden to talk about on ATS. My mother was unemployed at that time and decided to stay unemployed which drove me to dropping out of school my senior year and finding full time employment.

That day was the day that my life was affectively ruined.

I guess what I want to say is that if you are in a somewhat stable, happy and healthy situation, then try to look on the bright side of everything and don't get too down on your folks. In the end you are living for yourself, not them. Take every opportunity that is presented to you to excel and run with it with great vigor and make a name for yourself.

And take Germanicus's advice as well. Just use protection. Having a kid at a young age will certainly screw up dreams and aspirations unless you have a solid support system around you.
edit on 9-5-2012 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2012 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by hellzdoms

My advice, spend more time exercising than enjoying entertainment. Your adult version of yourself will thank you for it. Trust me.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Take this for what its worth, A few tips then a short story. Good luck.

Keep your awareness honed, this includes your safety, I see so many youth killed senselessly taking stupid risks. Make it your business to know whats going on around you. Know your directions, Don't make excess your traveling companion. Be difficult to anger and easy to forgive. Have a good attitude, its what wins out in the end. Live free from greed, hate, and contempt. Have joy in your life and bring joy to others. Be empathetic and tolerant, the world is a beautiful place if we don't prejudge it.

The Great grand tai chi master was once asked by a student, "What are the most important things in your life?" After pondering and stroking his beard he said, "A person's work, health, and relationships are the most important things in your life. You need purpose in your life to feel fulfilled, a contribution to your community. For now, find some hobbies that you like, do something productive with your time.

Take care of yourself. What are you without your health? Physical, mental, and if you are so calibrated, spiritual health. Dedicate time to each.

We are social animals, we need productive relationships. Friendships, family, professional, and personal. You get it.

As far as Dad,
See yourselves as two predators in the same forest. Wolves and cougars don't get along but they respect each other enough to avoid each other and co-exist. Try to teach without emotion where their is misunderstanding. Remember its not worth arguing over. If it is be calm and assertive not rebellious.
edit on 9-5-2012 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by hellzdoms

My advice, learn to live simply, and with in your means.

So if you want something advance your means not your debt.

get a job, get two (if you can find one) take anything that is tolerable and save, land is cheap, save 5k and I am sure you can find an acre or two somewhere to build on.

My brother who is in his early twenties just bought an RV (Used with rebuilt motor for 2k) and is looking to maybe by land up in the Shasta area of Ca. All doing it for under 7k total, he will be able to survive, even on a POS job.

Most of all you will never know what your capable of until you try, My father left his oppressive home at 15 a made a life for himself with his bare hands and no help from anyone.
edit on 9-5-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Thank you.
Yeah I realised over the past couple of months that I have been mainly hanging around with adults that are over double my age. I can not say that I'm regreating it.More like i feel more involved in the group at times than with groups that are my age.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Stay in school

Save your money

Forget about boys or girls [cheaper being single]

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NightFlight

Certainly I'm not planning to smoke nor drink. My parents both smoke and my dad when he drinks.He drinks heavy so i guess I learned what the side effects are. Drugs, I dont think ill ever do because I have seen people that take them and certainly I would not enjoy looking like that.
But on a personal note.We all make mistakes but we learn from them

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by hellzdoms
Yeah I realised over the past couple of months that I have been mainly hanging around with adults that are over double my age. I can not say that I'm regreating it.More like i feel more involved in the group at times than with groups that are my age.

Stop Dominik. Life is long and there will be plenty of time for that stuff later. Be a kid, enjoy it. It doesn't come back. 50 old. Been there. The T-shirt has been washed to death.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Dont enlist, dont judge, eat right, exercise, refuse credit. Work for what you believe in.

Also live like you dont have a dime then you will be able to save when others waste.

Goood luck
edit on 9-5-2012 by nickneal7 because: added extra

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join