It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tribes Ascend- Fun and Free

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
If you are like me, you see advertisements for free to play games all the time. Of course you don't actually look at them and they don't pique your interest because they come off as generic and half-baked. The "edgeworld" ad on ATS is the perfect example. I suspected Tribes Ascend falls under this category as they too have an ad on ATS. However, this game is definitely worth checking out if you have an interest in first person shooters. Especially if you've gotten sick of the slow paced, modern fps that has become the norm*cough*COD*cough*

First, It's a free to play game. Normally that raises red flags for me because most f2p games lack quality and depth and often require purchase to have fun. Not so with Tribes. The graphics are quite nice, everything(except for skins) can be purchased with in-game earned currency, and the gameplay is truly fantastic. I've become a bit jaded with games over the past few years because of all the remakes and lack of innovation(and growing up... slowly), but Tribes really feels different.

The first thing that struck me was the sense of speed. For the unfamiliar, "skiing" makes your character friction-less. Combine that with a jetpack and a hilly landscape and you often find yourself cruising at 100-300 kph, getting huge air, and generally zipping around the map. Speed is the name of the game in tribes which immediately separates it from pretty much every other fps currently on market, and it's reason alone to at least check it out for a little bit.

The thing that really hooked me is the classes. There are 9 classes divided into heavy, medium, and light. Each class serves a particular role and has a set loadout ranging from the nimble Pathfinder that serves as a flag grabber to a base clearing, mortar lobbing Juggernaut. Each class is generally oriented to a particular role and generally counters other classes, but Tribes puts a heavy emphasis on skill so the classes mostly serve to provide variety and change in pace. Sure you can upgrade your classes, but you only get better by playing better which provides a sense of accomplishment that isn't found in games like RPGs where stronger gear=stronger character. New comers shouldn't be worried about being under powered as 3 classes come unlocked and ready to do their job.

I truly enjoy this game and I haven't spent a dime, so I feel the need to recommend it to the ATS community because I don't want people to overlook such a fun game and miss out.

Some fast Pathfinder flag capping action-

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I was on this through Beta testing and It's quite Hilarious..... Think counterstrike on fast forward!!!!!!
I'm roofie77 on there if you want to add me. Lvl 38 so far...
Love the fact that it's free aswell....

account.hirezstudios.com...

Here is a link which I noticed the OP missed...

Ohhh, Forgot to add VGCG......
edit on 1-5-2012 by Wewillrise77 because: VGS

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
My entire crew of gamer friends has this and have said its pretty awesome. I've never been much of a PC gamer personally.. What would you describe the game to be most like? I've heard Quake and Halo references, any truth to those?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkDefender

I think it might be a bit more like old school quake than halo. Maybe halo 3 with the jetpacks, but way more movement. It does take a modicum of skill to not get worked over by more skilled players, so not being a PC gamer it may be a bit off putting. It's fairly easy to find your niche though and go from there.

I mean, hey, it's free to play. If you're even a little curious, why not check it out?

join