It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters hit streets for May Day rallies; violence flares in Oakland, Seattle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Protesters hit streets for May Day rallies; violence flares in Oakland, Seattle

usnews.m snbc.msn.com

Marches turned violent in Oakland, where marchers pounded on bank windows and went face-to-face with a police line, and in Seattle, protesters dressed in black smashed windows and police pepper-sprayed some in the crowds.

“I think the movement is evolving, it's taking on more concrete allies and issues, engaging more with labor struggles -- also just expanding its horizons and bringing more people into the movement."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
money.cnn.com
edit on 00/00/0000 by ka119 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Well we watched the Occupy protests go into hibernation over winter, and it looks to be back with a vengeance.
Itll be interesting to see if this one sticks around, so far it doesnt look like there are any major happenings coming from this, besides some arrests and broken windows.
Only time will tell!
Attached is a link showing these may day protests happening across the globe.

usnews.m snbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Unable to escape feeling like a broken record, I will re-post something I said yesterday in another thread relating to OWS...

I say... It starts with the 2012 protests, which will not all be peaceful, they will not be conducted with the best of interests for the masses. This will become a selfish, progressive movement.... not to test ones freedom in liberty, but rather to try and stack more straws on the camels back, with no regards as to the ramifications of their actions.

I thought at one point, that many of the OWS actions of last year, could be seen as justifications for such things as martial law, or the use of FEMA camps... but that was a rash call on my behalf.
They simply didn't have the initiatives or exhibit actions that would warrant such reactions...

But now, this is seemingly different. OWS is no Sons of Liberty, and I hope that everybody can see right through that. If you are planning on joining these events... don't. Gather the intellect, the network of people, the means of influence behind the doors... rather than simply holding a sign.

I will also say it again...

Those who are thinking about participating in these protests... don't.

This is something that many have spent much of their lives researching and preparing for, OWS will ruin any real chanve of a revolution, and only strengthen the divisions in which they focus on in the first place.

The time is not now, the time has always been. Things happen over time, and to force such change with in such a small integer of time is foolish, and not conducive towards any real change that will benefit the whole of society.

Hey 99% you are not alone, stop thinking that you are. There are many in positions of great influence that hold many of the same opinions and stances as you. Just because MSM doesn't focus on them, doesn't mean they aren't there, and doesn't mean that you are not represented. Ron Paul - case in point.

One word:
Disgusting

The people in these cities will not benefit from these types of actions. These actions may and will warrant government intervention if this progresses any further...

'They can't arrest us all'...
Wanna bet...
OWS, you smell.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I live in the bay area, with that said Im taking it safe and am now loading my truck with a "Get Home Bag" You never know when you could get stuck in the cross fire of something bad.

Lets say they go for a power plant or block traific with burnning tires..... you never know.....

better to be safe

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
the movement wants a civil war it seems or a small scale continuation of the violence against the state,
they are small in numbers, but they are trying to incite SOMETHING. trying to garner more numbers to their cause?

its these actions that turn away the people they claim to want to help,
the peoples property they damage will side with the police to prevent future attacks giving more power to the police

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
the movement wants a civil war it seems or a small scale continuation of the violence against the state,
they are small in numbers, but they are trying to incite SOMETHING. trying to garner more numbers to their cause?

the peoples property they damage will side with the police to prevent future attacks giving more power to the police

My thoughts as well,
It seems that they are just poking with a stick, trying to rally up new violent protesters and get everything shaken up.
Personally I believe that some sort of change like this is needed, but not in the way that they are handling it.
To be a full fledged take over, the government needs to slip, opening the mass of the militaries eyes and granting them to our side. Then s**t gets real.

Wolf

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I live in seattle, and didn't even know this was going on until a couple hours ago.
I gotta go to work soon, so I won't be able to do any on the scene reporting for ATS, hopefully this will spill over into tomorrow and things will get really hairy. I'll do my best to get you guys some killer pics of police violence and mass destruction.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Stock up on popcorn, there may be water cannons, sound weapons, tear gas, razor wire and good ole nightsticks smashing through the OWS terrorist camps soon.

It will be for their own good, the 1% OWS hates saving OWS terrorists from good ole fashion posse hunting by the true 99% average Joes/Janes that OWS are trashing on now.

Irony is good, real good, especially when the endgame we may be seeing an OWSer snuggled up in a FEMA camp set up as the only thing saving them from a lynching.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ka119

Originally posted by yourmaker

My thoughts as well,
It seems that they are just poking with a stick, trying to rally up new violent protesters and get everything shaken up.
Personally I believe that some sort of change like this is needed, but not in the way that they are handling it.
To be a full fledged take over, the government needs to slip, opening the mass of the militaries eyes and granting them to our side. Then s**t gets real.

Wolf

i'm still under the belief that the war can be averted through infiltration of government positions to simply rewrite the protocol.
because if we lose our national defenses, it gives the Chinese or whomever is waiting for such a slip up to make their move. the world hasn't changed that much I think in regards to the potential of widespread military conflict, and with America being a clear target in this day and age for just about anyone else, I think it would be better if there was no internal conflict, but rather a coup d'etat of sorts.

violent protestors do nothing but soldify government power and encourages fascist behaviour through law enforcement. if they became a paramilitary force overnight the government might re-consider but then that leads to the potential of civil war again, leaving infiltration and civilian black ops against gov't as only the solution.

the majority of the military defects when they realize their chain of command is corrupted with clearly bad intentions.

or something like that

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
These actions only amount to anything along the "Liberal Rim"; the heavily urban, blue coasts of the US.

For the other 75% of the US population, it matters less than who will be on "American Idol" next week.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The current U.S. population is approximately 300,000,000.

By reading the MSM news reports the protesters add up to maybe 10,000 nation wide, and that is generous. As some would argue that the mainstream media is under reporting the true numbers for whatever reason lets triple the amount to 30,000.

30,000 is .0001 percent of 300,000,000 or 1 out of every 10,000 people currently living in the U.S.

To believe that the nation supports any part of this latest OWS endeavour is ludicrous and delusional.

It is reaffirming to see that even the more passionate OWS supporters understand that peaceful assembly is an inalienable right but inciting a riot is a felony.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ka119

How many violent protesters are really infiltrators?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthEvolves

Current live feed in NY here
www.ustream.tv...

new topics

top topics

join