It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes somebody family

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Just because you're blood doesn't mean you're family.

I basically got that from the main character on a show called "Legend of the Seeker" that only went up to 2 seasons. He was implying his evil brother.

Anyhow, is it true?

What do you think?

Shed light from your perspectives.

I say it is true because my own so-called parents would poison my food to torture me. They treated me like I was a lab rat.
edit on 27-4-2012 by WarJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
LOL, I watched every episode of that show, and I liked it

family is blood first yes, but non-blood can become your family through mutual struggles and successes.
can blood be non-family? yes in the sense that they are disowned though their actions, but still genetically family.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Each of us define what family means to us. There is no right or wrong answer.
To me, You are my family.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Blood. Simple
If you have red blood, you're in my family.
One big family.

That is my perspective.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

that's the spirit! i shall add.. if you laugh and joke on any rock circling any star you're at least a family friend

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The people i consider family are the ones who truly know me or take the time to get to know me rather than judge me based on a few honest mistakes i have made or will make.I have realised growing up that my true family isn't the one i was born into. The family i was born into judges very harshly based on the money or material things we own, the family i chose doesn't or hasn't. they except me for me and the fact that i will make mistakes. when i do make mistakes guess who is there to guide me in the right direction? sure as hell isn't my blood related family. In my blood family i am the black sheep because i don't have much money or a bunch cool toys and crap i don't need.
edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

@What makes somebody family.

Recognizing WHO MADE US ALL*

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

I am going to tell it to you, like I told my father-in-law.

What I believe and know are of my own experience. If your son doesn't haven't a problem with that then one of two things have occurred. Either you are wrong, which is likely. Or love conquers all, as it rightly should be. Follow your heart, dear WarJohn, or forever wonder what might have been. There is always a half-way point once foundations are made. Mending fences is much easier than regretting the one Love lost. Family is what you make it. If your blood family loves you - they will love you no matter what your choices may be.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

What makes somebody family

In a word, love.

You're right, blood kinship don't mean diddly unless there is the caring behind it. And with the caring, you don't have to be blood kin to make a family. Happens all the time these days... and sometimes, it even works out for the long term.

Love.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

When 2 men share knowledge with one another and recognise a brother. That is the bond that can build a civilization among men. It is this type of bond that makes one find family in non-bloods. After all we all come from the same ape-mother. So science says.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarJohn
Just because you're blood doesn't mean you're family.

I basically got that from the main character on a show called "Legend of the Seeker" that only went up to 2 seasons. He was implying his evil brother.

Anyhow, is it true?

What do you think?

Shed light from your perspectives.

I say it is true because my own so-called parents would poison my food to torture me. They treated me like I was a lab rat.
edit on 27-4-2012 by WarJohn because: (no reason given)

It is definitely true. My own "father" is no family member of mine. Just because someone has sex and makes a new child doesn't mean s/he is capable of being a kind, loving, and supportive family member.

Likewise, family doesn't have to be blood relatives at all. Family is created by love and caring, not by genetics.

I am sorry to hear of your childhood, you have survived and you are here. I, for one, have learned things from you, and I thank you for your life, WarJohn.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Blood CAN make identifying family easier, but it all boils down to unconditional love, caring and loyalty. The ones you would spend a lifetime looking out for.

"For we are nothing without brotherhood. And brotherhood is nothing without your brothers."

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Besides my parents and sisters I consider my cats family,my boyfriend also.What I don't consider family is my asshole uncle and first cousins.Only you decide who constitutes your family.Those who love you no matter what,and will always take care of you.
And I'm so sorry to hear that what kind of monster does that to it's own child

edit on 27-4-2012 by adnachiel21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I have developed my concept of family after living through a childhood that involved moving house, and often schools, sometimes countries. Coming from the traditional "broken home", through divorce, and then reforming again around my mother's new marriage.

I reflected a lot on what it is to be "family", and I came up with several concepts.

The first definition of family, are those related to you by blood. Although it has occasionally caused offense to some of my blood family, I have rejected this genetic kinship as a priority relationship in my life. Your genetic relatives are simply that.

The second definition of family, are those related to you by emotional bonds, or perhaps psychologically by way of familiarity (sharing a residence for an extended period of time, especially during childhood). This can include those related to you by marriage, and those distantly related to you. And those who have grown close to you.

By and large I simplified all of the concept of Family, into a phrase Family-of-the-Heart. Because it is through the emotional connection we have with our support network of Family members that we function as people. The role of family is one of support, love, encouragement, teaching, security, safety, and the foundations of real community - be it locally or globally.

"Family" as I have always thought of it, extends to all those I have loved deeply, even those who have moved on in different directions. It is always opening your door for those people, and knowing theirs are open to you. It is not unconditional, but it is flexible. As with most things.

All of course, in my humble opinion.

new topics

top topics

join