It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING - Possible Meteor Impact Northern Nevada

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I live in the Foothills of Central California, and I was awakened this morning by the house shaking. It wasn't until I came onto ATS and read about this event that I was able to add it as to a possible factor in what woke me up.

The Union Democrat

An eastbound hunk of an apparent meteor barreled over the Central Sierra foothills on Sunday morning, rattling windows and nerves from Groveland and Placerville, to Modesto and Reno. A loud bang was heard about 8 a.m. Some people also reported seeing a bright flash.

The incident, reportedly the result of an annual meteor shower, was immediately followed by a cascade of phone calls to fire and law enforcement agencies throughout Central California and western Nevada.

The Tuolumne County Sheriff's Office received at least 50 calls Sunday morning from shaken residents, said Sgt. Jeff Wilson.

One witness of Sunday's meteor flyby in Arnold told The Democrat that trees were briefly swept from west to east. Another said she was knocked off her feet.

The Lyrid Meteor showers appears in a part of the sky near what we view as the constellation Lyra — hence the name. These meteors typically vaporize when they crash through the Earth's atmosphere at supersonic speeds — resulting in a bright flash and, in some instances, a sonic boom like that of a jet fighter.

edit on 4/23/2012 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
This is exciting, but happens quite frequently really.

For the Record:

Almost all incoming meteors detonate in the high atmosphere, some shower rocks (which become meteorites) but at a much slower velocity. The sound can be heard if it detonates low enough, also meteors can create sonic booms.

No meteorite has ever been recovered that was traced to any meteor showers. Meteor showers are 99.99999% small meteoroids the size of a grain of sand to a pea. They are caused by the earth entering the orbital path of comets.

A meteorite striking the earth at near cosmic velocity would be a seismic event.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Yeah but this was bigger than a washing machine.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I live in California I can confirm I was seeing shooting stars/meteors late friday night, into saturday morning, I was driving and none of my friends caught it but i saw something to the northeast race across the sky thought I was crazy but I know what I saw

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

expect the fact that every last years haven't been widespread like this, as in not been reported on the news channels.
edit on 23-4-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
A few months ago my dad and myself were hog hunting here in Texas and it was about 1am while we were sitting in our blind waiting on the hogs ( which never showed up damn lying game camera) we saw a nice meteorite fall it went from white, red, to green and was big but no sounds or anything. Beautiful to say the least. I actually posted on here about it but we didn't get any pics because we were not expecting it and of course the game cam didn't, hogs and deer don't fly in from space. But yes these little things happen.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Wow! Thanks for posting those pictures. It is amazing only peaks my interest in the universe and space.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite
all these meteors are just the precursors to the large astroid that is going to hit... that or the suns binary star that we are getting closer too

Um, do you have any solid evidence to back up those claims?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by 2plus2

She didnt make any mention of chemtrails but then again she was pretty busy today cleaning up her backyard...shes lives off of Tabeaud and her backyard has a pretty thick canopy i doubt she even noticed it

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by deadfox223

You would absolutely love the movie "altered" then.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tholidor
Sounds like "something" (X-37B maybe?) made a high rate of descent approach from the northwest, needed to bleed off a little more speed so extended the base leg of the approach before turning south for landing at Groom Lake.

Some witnesses reported a double sonic boom like the shuttle approach.

Hmmm.. possible... but why?

Why run the risk of drawing unwanted attention to yourself, especially if you're commanding a 'Black Project' bird?

It would make far more sense to just extend your 'let down' overhead in the highly restricted and controlled airspace around Boom Lake no?

Unless of course they had a major malfunction on-board that necessitated such a dramatic 'procedure'... and with the loads and stresses inherent with the creation of multiple sonic booms, that 'malfunction' can be only one thing and one thing only: Fire On-Board.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Guess who's hiking around kingsbury grade tommorow?

Coordinates would be amazing if anyone gets them.

Also, if it landed in Kingsbury Grade that would be Douglas county.
edit on 23-4-2012 by MrRamblinRose because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

reply to post by Dustytoad

hmm I have had similar dreams... I also recall more stories around the forums somewhere...
crazy collective conscious
....maybe we all were influenced by the same threads... or maybe...
BOOM!! aaand we run for our lives

In all seriousness this is an awesome event and it reminds me to look to the skies. I've seen my fair share of meteors. If you look up at the right times with clear skies and a few patient hours, it's amazing how excited a little shooting light can get you, or if you're lucky enough an awesome coloured fireball or bolide!

CX

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Just out of interest, who deals with meteor impacts? Who are the first responders?

Obviously the police and fire departments could attend if needed, but does any particular organisation have authority as it has come from space? Surely someone would have to keep the area clear whilst they ascertain what actualy landed?

CX.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
You know, I just had a thought? What if those mysterious explosions people have been hearing are exploding meteorites in the atmosphere?

edit on 22-4-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: Added the word know

This is what I have been trying to tell people on ATS. It seems as though this answer is too simplistic. I think people would rather hear and accept the sounds are aliens or mating calls from aliens.

Numerous sites are validating The Earth is going through a decomposed comet tail which will in turn cause meteor showers and YES they make sounds in our atmosphere and can shake the ground they are so powerful.

news.blogs.cnn.com...

edit on 23-4-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by deadfox223
Pentagon releases results of 13,000-mph test flight over Pacific
Comments 134Share389K

The Falcon hit Mach 20. At that speed, an aircraft could zoom from Los Angeles to New York in less than 12 minutes -- 22 times faster than a commercial airliner. Take a look at what that looks like from the ground in the video below.

.... can you put up a link to the video deadfox223?
?
edit on 23-4-2012 by wewillnotcomply666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by FuturePeace

Your link has a virus I think....

just typed in the Blaze on search and brought up the story.

Ya my norton just block an attack on blase.com

should have listen

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
They had an article about it yesterday in our Las Vegas paper. Www.lvrj.com

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Man, I hope North Korea wasn't "test" firing anything at us.....

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join