It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Google is demanding we get a mobile phone now?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I don't have ,or really want,a mobile phone and if I had such a device I would keep it private,as it can be tracked.I have failed to log into my google account as a result.
Does anyone know a way around this BS?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
click skip

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I don't agree with it either. I haven't tried to log into my google account in a while but if it asks me for one, then they're just not going to get anything from me. I don't even own a cell. Is there a skip option? I don't know but I'll click it.

I can't sign up for a FB account either and there's no way in H-E-double toothpicks I'm giving my home number to them. I don't want a FB at all but was going to set one up for my designs. Oh, well! I certainly won't cry about it. And as far as I know, there's no skip button for joining facebook. Maybe I missed it.
edit on 21-4-2012 by CoherentlyConfused because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
I don't have ,or really want,a mobile phone and if I had such a device I would keep it private,as it can be tracked.I have failed to log into my google account as a result.
Does anyone know a way around this BS?

This has been discussed at length here.....Id use ATS Search

With that said......nowhere does Google say you have to give them your phone number.
Just chose "skip" and carry on.

There is zero conspiracy here. Just misinformed people who don't read all the print

edit on April 21st 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
This would be the same logic that asks if you restarted your computer when you have trouble isn't it?
I did press skip,changed my password and it still persists.The help pages suggest you USE A FRIEND'S number.
I already have a FB account.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

Thor?

I think I understand what your talking about...the new collection of everywhere we go on the web?

I deleted my goggle account...but..I heard Thor can help?

But....I still dont get ur thread title though?

I have never had a web-site demand my phone number or no account...so I still don't get it....

If they demanded it....hahahahahahahahaha 555-555-1212

edit on 21-4-2012 by tracehd1 because: Add

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
It reset now.It was You tube that cut me off and requested I add a cell.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

Utube? Suggested?

I would delete them quicker then dog poop if they demanded that....regardless...glad u got it straightened out.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I have a hotmail account that I only created for use with my Xbox Live gamertag, so I only access it occasionally to keep it from being deactivated.
The last time I signed on, it asked me for my mobile number, to verify that it was an active account or something like that. it allows me to skip the option but warns me that my access is very limited.
they can go to hell.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I tried accessing my Gmail once with Tor; since then they will not allow me to log-in without providing my cell or home number. There is no option for me to skip. This includes my youtube account, google analytics, etc...
The page says we have noticed suspicious activity on your account, and for your safety blah blah blah...
I also refuse to give them my number; let them google it...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant
I tried accessing my Gmail once with Tor; since then they will not allow me to log-in without providing my cell or home number. There is no option for me to skip. This includes my youtube account, google analytics, etc...
The page says we have noticed suspicious activity on your account, and for your safety blah blah blah...
I also refuse to give them my number; let them google it...

Thor uses some sort of proxy to open websites thereby "hiding" your real IP, so when sites like YT, gMail, anything own by google is open, they will prevent further access until you provide ID that it is you.

Best advice, open a gMail/YT/etc with a fake number and use that instead. LIke tracehd1 suggested, use something similar like her number 555-555-1212 provided.
** by the way, she isn't answering **

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Yep, Youtube, Google and Hotmail are all linked under Google's umbrella now. THEY WANT YOUR INFO.

I have a Youtube account with video and I had to succumb. Why...I have a very old hotmail account
I used to sign up with youtube ages ago. It is a one-word five letter e-mail account that I only use to
keep my youtube account open.

One day while trying to sign in I got a message that my account and e-mail name were closed and to get them
back I would be REQUIRED to enter a cell phone number for verification....it cost me nearly seventy dollars
to buy the cheap throw-away phone and one months of minimal service to get my account back up.
And it was worth it. I don't FB, I don't Google (unless I have too), I don't link, or tweet or IM, but my
youtube account has the potential of making me money so I guess I'm buying into the system to get
along....I do feel like a traitor though

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Can some of you making this claim provide screen shots please showing this; otherwise, you are posting false information.

As I said earlier, this has been discussed at length here and proof has been given that Google does NOT require one to hand over their phone number. That is an OPTION that anyone can opt out of.

So, yeah, screen shots would help.....

I have set up new accounts....and never once had to give over my phone number nor have I had to with current accounts.

edit on April 21st 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
...and for proof on my behalf...

i just set up a new faux account...

NO PHONE GIVEN....

MOVED ON TO STEP 2 .... WITH NO PHONE GIVEN

NEW ACCOUNT ALL SET .... WITH NO PHONE GIVEN

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Just a quick note to the OP, you don’t have a mobile phone because you want to maintain your privacy and a phone can be tracked and so on.

Yet you clearly have internet access which means you have a PC and a landline I assume with a phone. You must have an ISP who has your details and can check what you’re looking at, and am also guessing that at some point you have also had to use your bank or credit card online so again more information about you floating around in cyberspace. Not to mention the fact that your using the mighty Google who probably know all of your search history, are targeting you with advertising and you probably use more than one of their services that they use to get even more information from you. Ohh and on top of all of this you have FaceBook so almost every man and his dog can probably find you on FB If they really wanted to. In addition to this the very fact you are online can probably mean that some clever individual can hack into your PC and do whatever the hell he/she wants with all that juicy personal information you’re keeping deep inside that little box under your desk.

When you look at it like that owning a mobile phone is probably the least of your worries and you should just submit to the fact that in the 21st century privacy no longer exists and bow down to the man and go buy the most expensive android phone on the market and enjoy it. Either that or cut yourself off and go “off the grid” form the rest of the world….. that means no internet.

Am just saying for someone with internet access this really should be the least of your worries.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

You are correct that you can opt-out of providing a cell number on new accounts...but if your
account gets suspended you MUST provide a cell phone number to Google so that they
can text-message you a password to re-instate your account. I can see no reasonable
argument for them having this policy other then to gather as much personal info about you as
possible, but that is what happened to me. I don't have any screen shots or proof, but it happened,
I bought a phone, provided the number and got my account back...it was my only option

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival

You are correct that you can opt-out of providing a cell number on new accounts...but if your
account gets suspended you MUST provide a cell phone number to Google so that they
can text-message you a password to re-instate your account. I can see no reasonable
argument for them having this policy other then to gather as much personal info about you as
possible, but that is what happened to me. I don't have any screen shots or proof, but it happened,
I bought a phone, provided the number and got my account back...it was my only option

Wow. That is a strange case. I've gotten more than one person back into their google account without a mobile number. But none of them were suspended. Thanks for the heads up. I'll remember that.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Google wants a cell phone number so they can text you a reset code for you pass word if you forget it. You do not have to use that set up if you do not want to. You can use a second (non-gmail) email address to have your password reset information send to if you wish but you must have some way as a back up for password recovery and reset.
edit on 4/21/2012 by fixer1967 because: to add more

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I really don't want to seem dumb here but apparently I am because I have no idea what this thread is about.
The reason for me posting here is I want to know what all this Google hoopla is about.
We don't do google here at all except for the search function and we don't have any ties to Yahoo either.
I don't mean to derail here I am just curious as to what is this phone number stuff all about?
Hell I don't even own a mobile here.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can tell me in just a few words so it does not tie up the thread here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join