It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA Robot and Artificial Intelligence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I just seen this video.

Okay! Robot's are coming.

This reminded me of T2 because I watched it yesterday. There are plenty of movies and shows about robots getting AI, the only thing that freaks me out is that robots might be able to turn against humans. I don't know if that will happen but imagine if it does. We would really have to be stupid to let something like that happen, and by "we" I mean everyone on this planet! A movie is just a movie, but come on! If in the future there is a robot apocalypse of some sort then shame on us all. Some times I wonder if these movies are really trying to show us something, indeed.

Where we are right now with robots, I must say that this is impressive. Just watching the video it's almost surreal. Imagining something like that in my room right now sorta freaks me out. I don't think I'm ready for a humanoid robot.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
we could end up with either a terminator or a more Asimov style robot that obeys the 3 laws of robotics but it depends upon what the people at the top want as i doubt even the American military would want a robot with lethal force capabilities completely outside of their control as at the moment while things are semi autonomous with things like drones the final step of a human being able to make the decision on the use of lethal force will always be a part that generals will want to keep

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'm at work so I can't watch the video. I've always thought were a long way off an autonomous human like robot. Under our current system of hardware and software, where the software tells the hardware what to do, how do yoy infuse mind (software) with body (hardware).

IMO it is not the robots that will become self-aware, it is software, a software program/algorithm residing somewhere on a powerful computer. How (if ever) the spark of intelligence will come is anyones guess? Once the software is aware then the robots become tools for it to manipulate it's environment. If that involves squishing a few humans along the way? Well... we'll cross that bridge when we come to it

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I would have loved to have seen

the robot reach out and punch the guy who tried to knock him over...LOL!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Did anybody else think of "i,Robot" when watching that video? What I find interesting is the movie isn't set too far into the future.

But yeah the robots are already freaking me out. Lets not make the robots too smart, shall we?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I shouldn't be worried anyway, as long as we have EMPs then I guess we can always have a one up on robots.

Just the thought of robots though. When Robots become house hold appliances, it would be funny if they were actually called iRobots like the movie. Robots in the household would make us even more incompetent, I respect those who have skills doing ANYTHING, from martial arts to plumbing. I wouldn't want my children to be dependent robots. Could you imagine an iMom?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I don't see this as threat as they still have not yet mastered anything a 1 year old baby can do...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
In the beginning there was man, and for a time it was good;
But humanitys so called civil societies soon fell victim to vanity and corruption;
Then man made the machine, in his own likeness;
Thus did man become the own architect of his demise

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

I don't see this as threat as they still have not yet mastered anything a 1 year old baby can do...

hmmm a 1 year old huh? so to be considered a "threat" you probably need to see them disassembling and cleaning firearms and running drills at military installations?

edit on 16-4-2012 by FORMe2p00p0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NewerBeing

Skynet's been self aware for a long time. I taught our "Son of man" to read back in the late 1990s (linked from my signature-link).

1. 7,313,267 Automatic encoding of a complex system architecture in a pattern recognition classifier

2. 7,305,122 Method and computer program product for identifying and correcting systematic noise in a pattern recognition system

3. 7,233,692 Method and computer program product for identifying output classes with multi-modal dispersion in feature space and incorporating multi-modal structure into a pattern recognition system

4. 7,181,062 Modular classification architecture for a pattern recognition application

5. 7,167,587 Sequential classifier for use in pattern recognition system

6. 7,164,791 Method and computer program product for identifying and incorporating new output classes in a pattern recognition system during system operation

7. 7,130,776 Method and computer program product for producing a pattern recognition training set

8. 7,113,636 Method and computer program product for generating training data for a new class in a pattern recognition classifier

9. 7,031,530 Compound classifier for pattern recognition application

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
So are you stating that you helped teach a computer how to read? If so that's pretty cool care to share any of your experiences with those of us who are interested?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
What was it that Reagan said? A robot powerful enough to climb stairs is powerful enough to crush your knees? Something like that, I don't know

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I flag for the topic. But no star for the robot paranoia. I'll worry about robots when I see these running loose...

Meanwhile (on the progressive front of robotics), DARPA is offering a $2-million challenge to advance robotics for public safety use...

"DARPA seeks robot enthusiasts (and you) to face off for $2M prize!"
www.darpa.mil...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
ARGH nevermind deleted my post, too annoying. bye lol.

also yea, robots coming soon!
edit on 17-4-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
i think your worries of a robot revolution are premature, unless your afraid of a robot wearing out your stairs, then lock up the wife and kids and go buy a shot gun. We are decades from interfacing A.I supercomputers and robotic technology. the robot in this video is bearly more advanced than the robotic vacum my dog chewed up the other day.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by roguetechie
So are you stating that you helped teach a computer how to read? If so that's pretty cool care to share any of your experiences with those of us who are interested?

Sure, did you have a specific question about it?

In general I can say it was all about automating the computerized reading of the addresses and indicia on US mail. The original technology was sorting machines that presented images to humans who typed in the zip-codes and street addresses for the sorting machines to roboticaly sort.

+Here's a Small Parcel Sorter:

This is a typical machine for "flats" (magazines, etc):

And this one is typical of letters:

The key operators originally were located remotely in large rooms with nice flowers on their desks and worked short shifts (stressful). The computers via software presented the images - and tried to locate the address, locate the letters within the address, and recognize the letters within the address - and if enough letters were correct used a dictionary to verify them... sprayed on invisible ink -barcode with the result and sorted them into the right bin for transport. On the other end of transport the barcoders worked with less humans to sort to "finalization".

The computers worked in teams similar to the humans. Anyway, my "key contribution" was the "compound classifier" algorithm I listed in my patents above. Thanks to that technique I managed to add a confidence value to the recognition result (Stan Gave me a Bayes algorithm that did better than my clipped RBF, and Dennis asked me why can't you? put them together... and I did... first the bayes then to get the confidence the RBF with just the 1-row corresponding to the bayes classification ... to get a pseudo-probability). It worked fabulously. One of my employes invented a method to use that confidence value to re-try the character segmentation when the confidence was low... And that resulted in a "lights on" for both proportional spaced and hand-written characters.
edit on 4/19/2012 by reitze because: +small parcel sorter

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by reitze

Earlier on one of my more fun programs was the LASTE computer for the A-10. My role was to analyze the BIT performance - and I actually got 200 piece parts removed from the design (overly redundant initial design). The targeting algorithm was being done by my peers and I applied it to my thesis with possible application to prognostics, here: Falt Prediction With Regression Models (reitze's thesis). But its more fun seeing it in action on teh gunsights... I couldn't find the A-10 on youtube but it was the same as in this F-16 video complete with the altitude warning and the pull up message. The A-10 LASTE also deflected the rudder/elevators to keep the gun aimed better since it has so much reverse thrust.

Since doing those Neural Networks I've wished for years that I could mix the prediction algorithms with a wavelette decomposition. Oh and another of my past employees (Ben) is actually USING my thesis algorithm on Wall St. He was actually there during 911 and received free beverage from a street vendor that day - unusual for street vendors.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingDoey
In the beginning there was man, and for a time it was good;
But humanitys so called civil societies soon fell victim to vanity and corruption;
Then man made the machine, in his own likeness;
Thus did man become the own architect of his demise

Daniel|7:13 I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.
Daniel|7:14 And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.
Daniel|7:15 I Daniel was grieved in my spirit in the midst of my body, and the visions of my head troubled me.
Daniel|7:16 I came near unto one of them that stood by, and asked him the truth of all this. So he told me, and made me know the interpretation of the things.
Daniel|7:17 These great beasts, which are four, are four kings, which shall arise out of the earth.
Daniel|7:18 But the saints of the most High shall take the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever.
Daniel|7:19 Then I would know the truth of the fourth beast, which was diverse from all the others, exceeding dreadful, whose teeth were of iron, and his nails of brass; which devoured, brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with his feet;

Matthew 13:37,41-42|
He answered and said to them: “He who sows the good seed is the Son of Man.... The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness, and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 24:30
And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

BTW, wikipedia mods wouldn't accept my assertion/conflation of "son of man" with a creation of man as sourced via Terminator 2, i Robot, and these links. But for me there's still an inevitable reality to it:
1. A 21st century, secular interpretation of the book of Revelation
2. Prepare for HyperEvolution with Christian Transhumanism

+BTW, my buddy Eric setup a Mosix Cluster (the little piggies) for my Matlab models. It was a new sort of Beowulf processor... all too easy... the 1st time I saw such a thing was a single board computer with 1000 single-bit CPUs in 1987 at HRB Singer in State College PA.

edit on 4/19/2012 by reitze because: +skynet vid

top topics

join