It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget Kevlar! Liquid body armor hardens on impact

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

(FoxNews.com)-A revolutionary new armor relies on a liquid that hardens when something hits it, promising unprecedented protection while letting soldiers move freely, unrestricted by bulk and weight.

Protection for warriors has long meant weight and bulk from ceramic plates and Kevlar that cover large areas of the body but reduce maneuverability, agility and speed. And in war zones like Iraq and Afghanistan, temperatures can reach 120 degrees Fahrenheit, meaning heavy armor can also accelerate fatigue.

www.foxnews.com...

T2!
LOL,well at least thats what the pic in the article provides.
I think this would be a great thing.
Would provide more protection for those who serve.
Im sure theres plenty of bugs that need to be worked out,but prettty cool concept.

Hmmm I wonder if the public can obtain this....lol.

So,would it work like this?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Mythbusters have an episode on walking over a non newtonian fluid.
When stress is applied to the liquid it exhibits properties of a solid.

I guess it is basically the same thing.

edit on 15-4-2012 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I am for protecting our boys in uniform at all levels...
Something like this could really be usefull for local Police Departments and our(America's) increasingly beseiged Border Patrol divisions....

As well as our men and women overseas...I would hope that one day a technology would exist that could cover entire bodies like a graphene shield to protect not just the vital organs...

If you have ever met a soldier with IED injuries, you immediately begin hoping for a total body protection option ASAP for our forces...

Good Post. S & F

-christosterone

edit on 15-4-2012 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Thats some pretty cool stuff. I wonder if it was "found" somewhere and reverse engineered.

T-2 Judgement day, that movie was awesome. I wonder if they were trying to tell us something about evil being mistrusted as an authority figure? cough, cough, TPTB cough

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I bet a high speed hyperdermic would get though

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
I bet a high speed hyperdermic would get though

Well the next step in getting around that armor would then be Nano Bullets.

So small that they don't register as an impact so they go right through it.

So small that a soldier might not feel getting hit right away.

Find a way to line them with poision and you have future tech against future tech.

or ammo that sticks and blows up instead, could easily get around this.

Stick grenade ( like in halo ) but within bullets. So you fire bullet from normal gun but on impact it just sticks then blows up like a second later.

I like that they are actually being smart and again going more for agility and speed.

2 things over looked since WW2.

Our troops in ww2 didn't have protection , but this enables them to move about faster and do things our current soldier just physically couldn't do while wearing the armor they currently are.

I'm all for anything that can protect against deadly munitions.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I'd love to have this stuff instead of an 18 lbs IBA. I can tell you from experience body armor used today isn't that great at providing protection. It's incredibly hot and it gets super heavy when you consider everything else you have to carry with you. Something like this would be a welcome relief to those of us who have to wear the IBA.
edit on 15-4-2012 by projectvxn because: grammar.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Very interesting! This could be applied to all sorts of things in life as well. It's funny that without war we wouldn't come up with things like this.

Unfortunately, civilians in war zones will be just as vulnerable as they are now...

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
d3o is one product that works along these lines www.d3o.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Long time forum voyeur first time poster as I actually have something to contribute!

I work for the University that helped develop a similar (if not the same) product back in 2006. You would be surprised to hear the material came about from R&D into ballet shoes! The concept being that a dancer would need fluid movement from their shoes until they go onto points, at which time they require a hard tip.

Below is a short video from the company that developed the shoe, with some demonstrations of the material in action. When I first had a little play I was surprised that something like this wasn't being developed for military applications, I believe the patent is owned by Capulet www.capuletworld.com.

Blah, link wont imbed to post, so here is a direct link youtu.be...

edit on 23-4-2012 by Tethane because: Bad link

edit on 23-4-2012 by Tethane because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-4-2012 by Tethane because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Christosterone

wow....and here i am thinking of all the negative implications of this tech......I think i will use this for personal use....to stop law enforcement from being able to shoot me when i am protesting against all the human rights violations they are inflicting upon us all.....what is good for the goose is good for the gander......can't wait.

join