It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear Christian Politicians... Seriously

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
AP:Christians Use Gay Marriage to Seek Voters

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040925/ap_on_el_ge/christian_conservatives

The scary part is at the bottom.... The very last paragraph

"Never allow the enemy to block you," Thomson urged them. "Get around them, run over the top of them, destroy them � whatever you need to do so that God's word is the word that is being practiced in Congress, town halls and state legislatures."

This is unamerican. How dare they call democrats, and bush critics unpatriotic when they ignore the freedom of religion idea in the constitution.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Nice find, kinda spooky how hard religion is pushing on our government

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Aah..the good ole Christian Coalition. For a long time they were the bastard children of Republican party - now they are front and center, commenting on anything and everything, especially with the gay marriage issue.

Unfortunately it's going to be effective. I am astounded at the number of people I know who are against "gay marriage" and most of them are fairly liberal, non churchgoing people. They have no sound reasoning for their opposition, they just don't think it's right somehow. Old religious prejudices maybe? Even Kerry has gone on record saying that marriage should only be between a man and a woman.

Sigh...don't you miss the good old days when people laughed at Ralph Reed and his ilk.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
And these are the same people who run around and scream, "Islam is trying to take over the world with their evil religion!" Islam doesn't have a monopoly on fruitcakes. Any relgion, taken to extremes, is a bad thing.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I think Thomson was speaking metaphorically.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
lol metaphors are their excuse for everything

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Perhaps this qualifying sentence will provide just a little insight:

Thomson, a former Marine, used military imagery to fire up the Christian Coalition activists to get out the vote.

"Never allow the enemy to block you," Thomson urged them. "Get around them, run over the top of them, destroy them � whatever you need to do so that God's word is the word that is being practiced in Congress, town halls and state legislatures."

I guess a football analogy would have been better, but give the guy a break, he's a Marine.

Why shouldn't christians have a voice in their government? This kind of political activism is what makes the country great. Remember the Founders precluded a state church, but were men of great faith and urged others to act on their faith.

There's nothing extremist here.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I know there is no extremist in that. I know that it wasnt literal except for this part.

..whatever you need to do so that God's word is the word that is being practiced in Congress, town halls and state legislatures

But thanks for including that military imagery sentence. That will clear some things up a bit. What i posted may have seemed a little out of context. My apologies.

[edit on 25-9-2004 by Thatoneguy]

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   

...whatever you need to do so that God's word is the word that is being practiced in Congress, town halls and state legislatures

Well, I'm not always comfortable with the "christian" view of what is tolerable. I like a little deviance, in my life, as well. It helps to blow off a little steam. But, the christian values are sound and they have guided the country for a long time. Let the christians campaign for their values. It's up to the rest of us to make sure that there is moderation in all things.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Well, I'm not always comfortable with the "christian" view of what is tolerable. I like a little deviance, in my life, as well. It helps to blow off a little steam. But, the christian values are sound and they have guided the country for a long time. Let the christians campaign for their values. It's up to the rest of us to make sure that there is moderation in all things.

I don't mind most christian views, but Ralphie's group has a tendency to push a more radicalized agenda. It wasn't just good enough to "live and let live" but they wanted others to adhere to their concept of right and wrong regardless of whether that was in direct contradiction to the constitution.

I wasn't a Bush Sr. supporter but I'll never forget a comment he made in a state of the union address - "There are some in this country who lay awake nights worrying about what the rest of us are doing." That describes the CC perfectly.

BTW - How deviant Grady??

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys

BTW - How deviant Grady??

Not so much these days, but I could party with the best in my younger days. Sometimes, I wish I hadn't, but experience is what it is. I wouldn't be the person I am today without the mistakes, as well as the accomplishments.

[edit on 04/9/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
In some states, men who have sex with other men are against the law. Remember that sodomy case in Texas? And of course, the UCMJ, where anything besides the 'missionary position', even if it is man and woman, is a no-go. A little too 'Christian' for me, at a civil rights level. Speaking of civil rights, I'm sure 'Christian values' were mentioned to keep blacks from drinking from the same water fountains as whites.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Religion and government don't mix, they never have and they never will.
One of the foundation stones of democracy is the fact that God hasn't ordained a ruler by 'Divine Right'.

There are many interpretations of the unknown and a modern, fair society must take that into consideration when governing large groups of people.

A recent example of this religious prejudice is the gay marriage issue.
Since when has it been the business of government to dictate the course of love?

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Amazing, the total ignorance of some here, that suggest or even believe that Christianity is to stay out of politics in the U.S.
Which one of you ignorant brain surgeons want to assert such a stupid and baseless hypothesis? Yes, hypothesis, as it does not even rise tothe standard of theory.

We have one moron who says government and religion don't mix, and never will. Not to observant if one were to both study American history in specific or look around the world in general. Another unenlightened poster thinks that Christianity "pushing" in on "our" (who's might "our" be?) is spooky, while the originator of this thread states, "This is unamerican. How dare they call democrats, and bush critics unpatriotic when they ignore the freedom of religion idea in the constitution."

What say we look at some simple facts, shall we? One more time for old time's sake, and the last time, as old Thomas Crowne has grown tired of the ignorant but loud majority here at Abovetopsecret.com. I find ignorance, and the continued refusal of people to accept truth when their noses are rubbed into it, to be quite fatiguing and angering. So I'll type all of this out one last time.

Where, in our governmental documentation, does it say that Christianity is to stay out of political and governmental decisions? The first Amendment? Really? It takes some great leaps of the imagination to come to such a conclusion, yet that is exactly what you guys have come to. But let's revisit history, shall we? I think there's a slight possibility that the people who created this form of governing might have a clearer understanding of what their intentions were. Yeah, I know, that probably insulted a couple of you who believe you are smarter than John Jay was, but you'll get over it.

James Madison stated that, "Religion is the basis and foundation of Government." Makes sense, as God created government so that the wayward morons who had turned their backs upon Him would have some form of governing. Governments that are based upon religion and not tyrannical, arbitrary rule, are never-shifting and fixed in law. They do not change with immorality or the whims of a despotic ruler. For those struggling to understand, let me help - That's a good thing!

This nation, America, was based on a particular belief, and that belief is Christianity. Proof, you ask? Ok, tell me, who said that society's first two objectives were, "the support of the Chrisitan religion", and, "the support of the United States."
Was it,

A) George W. Bush
B) Michael Moore
C) Alexandar Hamilton
D) Homer Simpson

If you chose C, Alexandar Hamilton, you are correct. Unfortunately, most of you probably picked another choice. Strange thought for a guy who was around when the country that allegedly separates Christianity from the government was created, and actually had a hand in the building of the nation. Strange indeed, considering what people trry and say today.

John Jay, one of the authors of the Federalist Papers (I've been admonishing you folks to get a copy of them, have you, yet?) and the first Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, said, "Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers."
Now there are two things the astute reader immediately picked up. One, the first Supreme Court Chief Justice said this nation is a CHRISTIAN NATION (gasp!) and that it is a-ok for a U.S. leader to be Christian. As a matter of fact, he should be a Christian.

Why should the U.S. leadership be Christian? Well, let's look at what another Founder said. Ben Franklin, also famous for flying kites in dangerous weather conditions, stated that the only way this "experiment in society" would succeed was with Judeo-Christian ethics, morals and principles. Strange, huh, that in spite of what the brilliant political, societal and mainstream media minds tell us, the Founding Fathers had a totally different view of not only the nation but the 1st Amendment.

To further support the idea that, yes, religion has a place in government, and yes, folks, this nation's belief is Christianity, let's see what John Adams said about religion. He believed that "We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion..." This kind of shoots holes in the brainless, knee-jerk statement of you can't legislate morality (Really? Then what is it that you do legislate, hmm?). But listen to the rest, "Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other."

Let's look at one more of the Founding Fathers; Thomas Jefferson. I now go to Tom because he is always the champion of the secular movement in its attempts at kicking God out of the country. But was T. J. a secularlist, or has he been misquoted and taken out of context? I don't know, here's a thought of his, and you see if you can twist it; "No nation has ever yet existed or been governed without religion. Nor can be. The Christian religion is the best religion that has ever been given to man and I as Chief Magistrate of this nation am bound to give it the sanction of my people." Wow! Strange words from a guy who allegedly wanted a wall to separate Christianity from government.

Ok, this is one of the shortest versions of my America and Religion classes, and I hope you enjoyed it. If you want one of the longer ones, simply go through Thomas Crowne's posting history here at ATS and you'll find one in no time. And one more thing for you guys to think about. If, one day, the liberls win the day in the argument of religion in government, and tehy convince the citizenry that their individual rights were given to them by the government and not by their Creator, the citizenry had better not given up their right to keep and bear arms before the liberals gain total control of the government. As long as the government is held to the notion that God gave us our rights and the government has no authority over those rights, all of us, no matter how we feel about God, are a little more secure from tyranny and arbitrary rule.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   

And these are the same people who run around and scream, "Islam is trying to take over the world with their evil religion!" Islam doesn't have a monopoly on fruitcakes. Any relgion, taken to extremes, is a bad thing.

Couldn't agree more. One is as bad as the other

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 05:24 AM
link   
There are many religions in the world Thomas Crowne and America is not the sum of history.
Christianity is one such religion and to use it as a source for dictating government policies would be a throwback to the medieval systems that spawned the Inquisition and the Crusades.
When I said that religion and government don't mix, I meant that it is unfair to dictate to others what should be a personal choice.
Religion should never again become a public policy enforced by law, any religion.

That's not to say that Christians can't govern people, of course they can - along with the Protestants, Catholics, Assyrians, Islamics, Buddhists, Confucists, Hindis, Sikhs, Taoists, Shintoists, Jainists, Pagans, Shaminists, Atheists, etc etc etc . . .

That's not ignorance, it's called another point of view.

[edit on 26-9-2004 by shanti23]

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
you should rename it to "fear cultish christians who follow false dominon theology"

they give christians a bad name. its good for christians to stand against homosexuality..but it should be done by PREACHING the gospel....for SALVATION into the KINGDOM OF HEAVEN which is NOT OF THIS WORLD....the opposite of that is using the bible to govern the state...IE church and state as ONE...ie like the Catholic Church......im not expecting the Spanish Inquisition but apparently no one does?!?!

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
it should be noted that the idea of theocracy goes against the word of God.
church and state should be NOT BE JOINED!!

Jesus Christ said "render to Caeser what is Caesers and render to God what is Gods"

aswell as "whoever thinks that God is means of gain "(personaly enrichment) "is ACCUSED"

but thats exactly what kingdom theology and the "christians" in and around the white house believe.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
When the hell will mankind evolve from the posion that is called religion?

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Ok, this is one of the shortest versions of my America and Religion classes, and I hope you enjoyed it. If you want one of the longer ones, simply go through Thomas Crowne's posting history here at ATS and you'll find one in no time. And one more thing for you guys to think about. If, one day, the liberls win the day in the argument of religion in government, and tehy convince the citizenry that their individual rights were given to them by the government and not by their Creator, the citizenry had better not given up their right to keep and bear arms before the liberals gain total control of the government. As long as the government is held to the notion that God gave us our rights and the government has no authority over those rights, all of us, no matter how we feel about God, are a little more secure from tyranny and arbitrary rule.

Yes! America was pefect hundreds of years ago! I mean, why did it have to change over a little thing like so called 'progress'? Now if you'll exuse me, I'm going to have sex with my slaves, beat my wife for speaking out of turn, then go to church like a good christian.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join