It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something weird in the sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
So my husband and I went outside to have a cigarette. While we were standing outside I seen what I thought was a shooting star, it then stopped to the center of the big dipper and gradually flew out of the big dipper and up. It went up until it disappeared completely as it flew so far up out of view. We both watched this, its a clear night, can see all the stars, not a cloud in the sky. It was extremely odd, not 100% sure what we seen. There was no sound or lights either. Anyone have any suggestions. Not sure if this is the right forum, so mods feel free to move.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Kermitker

Dunno do you live near a Military base could be test flights or spying (whatever you prefer) of predator drones or something in that vain.

About a week and a half ago i saw big things of smoke seemingly appear out of the sky at about 5 in the morning but then i found out they were some kind of test rockets, but i'v seem some strange things also like what looked like a star get real bright then just disappear sort of a mini super nova type experience but it wasn't a super nova and i still don't know what it was....

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I think the space station was supposed to be visible tonight in the sky across the Denver area. Maybe that's what you saw.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I take it that it would have been moving pretty fast ,for yo u to think it was a shooting star>>? right
and then to stop on a dime like that

it could have been a flying saucer. I'm not scared to say it .
but I guess it could have been allot of things other than that ,just need more info.
thanks for posting

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Shooting stars sometimes take their time across the sky, they aren't always a brief sighting.

The characteristic that stands out from other typical sightings to me are those where erratic or abrupt directional and velocity changes are seen. Being that most of us have been around aviation most our lives, I assume the OP is indicating the object was at unusually high altitude (correct me if your observations are different).

My only suggestion would be to further elaborate on it, take care.

Eta: Lokin has a good point also, if it were the ISS, this link (nasa ISS sightings) will help you determine whether it could have been that, though it doesn't make rest stops in orbit.
edit on 11-4-2012 by Sek82 because: eta

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I believe what you and the other poster saw was the reflection of sunlight off of a satellite. As the satellite moves into the suns light it appears to light up, and if the reflective surface is pointing towards you, and turns away this would give the illusion the object not only moves from bright, to dim, but could also appear to move from dim to bright. As the satellite, orbits the earth and moves into darker skies, behind Earth's shadow it would appear to disappear. This as well could give the illusion, it was climbing in elevation as it get's " Dimmer. " I'm sorry to burst your out of this world bubble, but there are literally 1000s of operational and retired orbiting objects around the Earth. I too have witnessed these occurrences and thought it was something far more phenomenal than it turned out to be. A quick google search will provide you with the tools to distinguish these objects and provide you with the know how, to identify such objects. Non Commission objects can be a little harder as they aren't as readily tracked, but I believe there is at least one site that provides this information. I would grab you links but I'm running off to work. Seriously, google it. It will save you a potential flame fest.
edit on 4/12/2012 by Ilyich because: Reworded to provide clarity.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Billiam132

get yourself a thread going mate thats a good vid

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by maryhinge

get yourself a thread going mate thats a good vid

I second that!
Get a thread going for everyone else to see and discuss what it could be!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by lokin

Just thinking here do they use this line when they know something thats incoming is going to be visible in the sky?

just a idea.

Also that other guys video is clearly a plane. I have a video of a plane doing this then flying right above my head.

I felt like a idiot at my letterbox recording it then it turns out to be a plane when it closely approaches.

The best thread you could possible start is "I know this is plane, but good classic example of mistaken identity"

Its like approaching your mum in the grocery store only to find out its not your mum some other lady.

Embarrassing!! lol I wondered what my neighbors thought getting excited over a plane for nothing.
edit on 12-4-2012 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ilyich
I believe what you and the other poster saw was the reflection of sunlight off of a satellite. As the satellite moves into the suns light it appears to light up, and if the reflective surface is pointing towards you, and turns away this would give the illusion the object not only moves from bright, to dim, but could also appear to move from dim to bright. As the satellite, orbits the earth and moves into darker skies, behind Earth's shadow it would appear to disappear. This as well could give the illusion, it was climbing in elevation as it get's " Dimmer. " I'm sorry to burst your out of this world bubble, but there are literally 1000s of operational and retired orbiting objects around the Earth. I too have witnessed these occurrences and thought it was something far more phenomenal than it turned out to be. A quick google search will provide you with the tools to distinguish these objects and provide you with the know how, to identify such objects. Non Commission objects can be a little harder as they aren't as readily tracked, but I believe there is at least one site that provides this information. I would grab you links but I'm running off to work. Seriously, google it. It will save you a potential flame fest.
edit on 4/12/2012 by Ilyich because: Reworded to provide clarity.

If it's dark out side say like 3am in the morning could the satellite still be reflecting the suns light to the point i would see it light up and then look like it disappeared with the object looking like it didn't move???

I saw the same thing this morning around 2 or 3 am while i was walking, what looked like a star light up then get dimmer then disappear...

I came up with about 5 generalized scenarios on what it could be and a satellite was one of them, but it didn't move at all and could i still see some type of lighting effect by the sun at 2 or 3 am while it's pitch black out side????

edit on 13-4-2012 by King Seesar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I live about 25 miles out on an approach path to an airport, and see similar things quite often. Some of the planes coming in on a clear night can be seen as bright as what you saw, for several minutes. They don't appear to move at all until they get closer. Then as they turn slightly off your line of sight, they often dim and sometimes disappear. Sometimes, if the glide path passes close enough to me, I can see the light fade from the bright white, to their strobes in red and green. The lights are landing lights, and have REALLY increased in brightness in the past few years due to technology. They also have a VERY narrow beam pattern that is VERY bright only when pointing near your line of sight. I am not trying to debunk, I am just relating to what I see here almost every clear night.

Your video does not seem to be what the OP describes. Cool video nonetheless.

top topics

join