It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Punk isn't dead, it just smells bad!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I don't think we have a thread in here where we can discuss some of the good old 70's and 80's punk, before it went mainstream in the 90's and every 12 year old kid thought they were a part of our culture because it was "cool".

I'll start the thread off with something optimistic. Anybody else hate hate as much as I do?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Anyone else like to party like I do?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Obligatory classics...

edit on 8-4-2012 by Xaphan because: Accidentally posted two of the same video.

edit on 8-4-2012 by Xaphan because: Accidentally did it again.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

every 12 year old kid thought they were a part of our culture because it was "cool".

hi,

this kind of statement bugs me, back in the early nineties i was one of those kids that got into punk rock from listening to bands like green day and the offspring. the majority of people discover new music, from whatever genre through some kind of mainstream outlet

the mainstream acts serve as a kind of 'punk rock training bra' - if you will....its from these bands that i developed my love of punk rock music, not to mention influencing my political, idealogical and social views.

it is true that many areas of culture are bastardised into something completely alien from its original, pure beginnings but hey thats life i guess.

so...."the sex pistols were the most commercial, contrieved band in history" what do you think of that statement?!

love, stu

btw, i am a huge fan of punk rock music - from the late sixties through to current stuff. im not trying to be a smart ass

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Probably just annoy people posting "mainstream crap" but oh well...

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
are you sure!!!? been hard core for 30 years and to most of the people it was a fashion statement.
i dont have the look anymore but i still have the attitude,and still love the music
enjoy the video!

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

depends what your definition of mainstream is, rancid are my favourite band (i played pool with them once, in a bar before a gig!!)

i dont consider them as being 'mainstream' at all...

love stu

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I love being from this generation

gimmie Jello of give me death

Oh and BF b4 rollins

to bad the circle jerks were born again

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The Saints - Stranded

Australia Represent!

"(I'm) Stranded" is the first song released by pioneering Australian punk rock band The Saints.[1][2] Issued in September 1976, it has been cited as "one of the iconic singles of the era",[3] and pre-dated vinyl debuts by contemporary punk acts such as the Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, The Damned and The Clash.[1][2][4] In 2001, it was voted among the Top 30 Australian Songs of all time by APRA.[5][6]

Written by guitarist Ed Kuepper and vocalist Chris Bailey,[7] the single was originally released on the band's own Fatal Records label,[1][2] with an initial pressing of 500 copies.[8] In the UK, where the single was at first available only on import, Sounds magazine called it "single of this and every week. ... The singing's flat and disinterested, the guitars are on full stun. ... It's fabulous."

Link

IRM

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by discostu123

Allow me to apologize for the misunderstanding. I certainly didn't mean kids who listen to the music and genuinely enjoy it. I have absolutely no problem with that. I was actually referring to the kids who started walking around wearing dog collars around their necks, and NOFX T-Shirts with the sleeves cut off and putting enough gel in their hair to drown a cat, and then finding out that they don't even like punk music, they just want to look like that because it's the vogue. That's what I really meant. I suppose I should have been more specific. I love hearing about kids who listen to punk and genuinely enjoy it. It just bothers me when I see people who think they are part of the culture because they look a certain way.

Speaking of vogue...

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Time to get some Rikk Agnew up in this thread.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Punk has died off.

Its not the same sound production.

I think punk blended into alternative rock in ways.

Enter Shakari is a punkish/alternative band from the UK. Their lyrics are very fitting for anyone on ATS.

Their first stuff was even more punk sounding (garage punk), they went by the name of Hybrid then.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImmortalThought
Punk has died off.

This is very true. The poor sound quality back in the day definitely gave it character. Most punk bands had a rule of thumb where they would only do one take in the studio. They didn't care if somebody made a mistake or not, because the energy and vibe was all that mattered. That is what I have always loved about punk, there is a certain raw energy and vibe there that you just don't find in any other type of music.

But nowadays all the recordings are digitized and over-produced

Can't have a punk thread without some MDC!
I dreamed last night, no more cops. It felt alright, no more cops. No need to fight, no more cops.

The first time I heard this bass line at the beginning I pooped a little bit. So simple, yet so catchy.

edit on 8-4-2012 by Xaphan because: Forgot to add video.

edit on 8-4-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Punk is a state of mind and a way of life, the music was, and still is, just an expression of that.

Far too many people never quite got that back in the day......and even more people don't now.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImmortalThought
Punk has died off.

I think punk blended into alternative rock in ways.

Enter Shakari is a punkish/alternative band from the UK. Their lyrics are very fitting for anyone on ATS.

Their first stuff was even more punk sounding (garage punk), they went by the name of Hybrid then.

i come from the world of punk in the late 80s/90s in WDC...it is NOT the same in any way shape or form (music, style, etc)
but lots of good alternatives for sure....i still miss the 'ol days'....
edit on April 9th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

So your a hardcore girl then, eh GEL? I knew there was a reason I liked you so much.

edit on 9-4-2012 by W3RLIED2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I was at this show. This was while they were recording the 'give em the boot' documentary. So much fun.

edit on 9-4-2012 by W3RLIED2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

For your DC ears
BANNED FROM DC

And another, just because it's awesome.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Two Words.....Mojo Nixon. All other arguments are invalid.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join