It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plasma fusion becomes a reality?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

So I guess we have cold fusion and plasma fusion now and we'll never get to use it as long as big oil gets to keep their lobbyists

How do lobbyists influence venture capitalists?
edit on 4-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
It would not mater if they had a perfict fusion test reactor test and it was scalable to make 100s or 1000s of megawatts.

It would still take from 15 to 20 years before they could build the first commercial fusion reactor to power a city.

Why because of getting permits and from the lawsuit that try to block the first commercial fusion reactor from being built.

Just the word reactor will cause the treehuggers fits and a number of lawsuits claiming it would cause the end of the world or some such male bovine vegetable based fertilizer

edit on 4-4-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fitch303
It seems like every couple of months some scientist makes this claim yet here we are, still burning fossil fuels.....

Yeah and there's probably a bunch of elite laughing at us all the time with several of these methods patented and kept from us. If we'd been allowed to do this properly we'd probably have been far from using oil/petrol, etc, for a while now.
edit on 4-4-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia

Originally posted by Fitch303
It seems like every couple of months some scientist makes this claim yet here we are, still burning fossil fuels.....

It's all about funding. Only way to get funding is to make extraordinary claims, and unfortunately, most of them fall through in the long run.

Almost right, its all about profits, and the lack of them for the big energy companies should this technology become available, And so the big energy companies become the funding sponsor for the project and basically kill it off, and so we keep burning highly profitable fossil fuels

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Wow!!!

I'm very glad to see news about Eric Lerner here!

Let me give you some information:

I have followed Eric Lerner's work for some time in the past. I wasn't following his work recently, so I didn't know he was so close to a breakthrough.

There is a thing that you need to know: this is NOT your regular "free energy" or "cold fusion" fringe theories that you are used to see here on ATS! Eric Lerner's work is a much higher level! This is MAINSTREAM SCIENCE!

Lerner's technology, that he calls "Focus Fusion", is NOT "free energy", and is NOT "cold fusion".

It's HOT fusion, with temperatures over ONE BILLION DEGREES!

Lerner created an alternative approach to achieve commercial hot fusion. Instead of using the GIGANTIC and VERY EXPENSIVE "Tokamak" machines, he started to research the use of a much smaller device called "Dense Plasma Focus" (DPF).

Eric Lerner is a real scientist, and he worked for NASA's JPL in a research about the DPF potential uses, in the Texas A&M University, in 2001, more than ten years ago.

Unfortunately, NASA has cut all funds for that research, and Lerner's research was on "stand by" for years, until he got some PRIVATE funding for his research.

You can learn more about this technology in the website of the "Focus Fusion Society", a non-profit organization created by Lerner to help "spread the word" about this potential revolutionary technology:

focusfusion.org...

In my opinion, Lerner's Focus Fusion is the MAIN hope we can have for the future. It's real SCIENCE, with several papers published on PEER REVISED journals!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Real science has less control from greed and more support those interested in supplying our real needs. Sadly that is not the case that is presently evident in today's society. I hope he succeeds with his venture. Hopefully greed does not crush his research.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
It would not mater if they had a perfict fusion test reactor test and it was scalable to make 100s or 1000s of megawatts.

It would still take from 15 to 20 years before they could build the first commercial fusion reactor to power a city.

Why because of getting permits and from the lawsuit that try to block the first commercial fusion reactor from being built.

Just the word reactor will cause the treehuggers fits and a number of lawsuits claiming it would cause the end of the world or some such male bovine vegetable based fertilizer

edit on 4-4-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

In fact, Eric Lerner's technology, called "Focus Fusion", would take much less time to be commercial.

If they achieve the production of net energy this year, using the planned "aneutronic" fuel with hydrogen and boron gas, it would take no more than 2 or 3 years to have it being mass produced for the market.

It wouldn't be a domestic device to use in our home, but it's small enough to be bought by a small town or a county, to produce electricty in a local scale.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by GLontra

Real science has less control from greed and more support those interested in supplying our real needs. Sadly that is not the case that is presently evident in today's society. I hope he succeeds with his venture. Hopefully greed does not crush his research.

One good thing about Eric Lerner is that he has shown many signs already that he is not a greedy man, and that he is genuinely concerned about opening a new future for humanity, instead of just making money.

The patent for this technology was already accepted by the US Patent Office. Lerner will probably make a lot of money if it works as predicted. But he really doesn't seem to be much worried about money.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
This technology has the potential to change the world.

It's a pitty that most people pay much more attention to "cold fusion" and "free energy" claims than they pay to serious, peer revised technologies like this one.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
and it will never be heard of again (bows head in shame)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This sounds more scientifically valid than most of the stories I have read about fusion.

The use of plasma as a containment method is very interesting.

Thanks for posting this. I am looking forward to learning more about this concept.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The teams still courting the press probably aren't getting anywhere.

The EMC2 Polywell Fusion team has been very quiet since they went back under US Navy contract.

Thats who i would have my money on.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

The only possible way for any "free" energy to be announced and available to the public would be to announce it's discovery and announce it to the world before anyone finds out that you are working on it. This is the last you will hear about these guys working on "free" energy, they will either be payed off or go "missing" in the near future.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Its not free energy. Using the term taints whatever project its applied to.

All these alternative fusion designs will still result in power plants that need to be manufactured, operated maintained.

Its no more 'free energy' than a fission plant is.

Its just has potentially negligible environmental impact and doesn't require a rare or difficult to handle fuel source.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
Its not free energy. Using the term taints whatever project its applied to.

All these alternative fusion designs will still result in power plants that need to be manufactured, operated maintained.

Its no more 'free energy' than a fission plant is.

Its just has potentially negligible environmental impact and doesn't require a rare or difficult to handle fuel source.

That's true: this technology is NOT "free energy". It's just insanely CHEAP energy.

Lerner's technology, nicknamed "Focus Fusion", is NUCLEAR FUSION. But it's not "cold fusion". It's conventional "hot" fusion (a mainstream science concept).

Some advantages of this technology, if it could be put to work as projected:

- It uses a very cheap and abundant fuel, that is NOT radioactive. It doesn't use uranium, thorium, or any other radioactive material. It uses only good old hydrogen gas (in fact, ionized hydrogen), and boron gas. Boron is a very abundant and cheap mineral, and this technology consumes a very tiny amount of boron to produce a lot of energy

- This technology was projected to produce ANEUTRONIC nuclear fusion. The projected nuclear fusion reaction will not produce any neutrons. That means: no dangerous neutron radiation being produced during the process.

- It's much smaller and much cheaper than the traditional approach that's being pursued by the governments in order to achieve controlled nuclear fusion, the Tokamak machine. The Tokamak is very big and very expensive. The international project called "ITER", that uses Tokamak, costs more than 10 BILLION dollars!

- Eric Lerner believes, that, once mature, the Focus Fusion device will be small enough to fit in a garage, and will produce enough energy to power many neighborhoods. The cost per killowatt will be very cheap. Cheaper than coal or hydroelectric power.

- Taking in account the small amount of boron that the device consumes, and the size of the known reserves of boron in the world, it is believed that the known reserves of this mineral are enough to provide all the power that humanity needs for the next 200,000 years.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
"It's much smaller and much cheaper than the traditional approach that's being pursued by the governments in order to achieve controlled nuclear fusion, the Tokamak machine. The Tokamak is very big and very expensive. The international project called "ITER", that uses Tokamak, costs more than 10 BILLION dollars!"

Thats why the Navy is interested and funding the Polywell research. ITER has no utility for a ship/sub design but the Polywell fusion or the fusion in this article potentially does.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

rt.com

Scientists in a New Jersey laboratory say they are close to a major breakthrough in the field of fusion that they predict will soon allow for an unlimited source of the cheapest, cleanest and safest energy ever.
Researchers at Lawrenceville Plasma Physics in Middlesex, NJ have published the results of their recent work in the Physics of Plasmas journal last week, and expect one of their next rounds of testing to finally tackle an issue of energy procurement that would rival anything already avai
(visit the link for the full news article)

i don't know why, but i get a feeling we will NEVER hear about this ever again.

it always happens this way!!!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska

Originally posted by grey580

rt.com

Scientists in a New Jersey laboratory say they are close to a major breakthrough in the field of fusion that they predict will soon allow for an unlimited source of the cheapest, cleanest and safest energy ever.
Researchers at Lawrenceville Plasma Physics in Middlesex, NJ have published the results of their recent work in the Physics of Plasmas journal last week, and expect one of their next rounds of testing to finally tackle an issue of energy procurement that would rival anything already avai
(visit the link for the full news article)

i don't know why, but i get a feeling we will NEVER hear about this ever again.

it always happens this way!!!

Well... I have heard about this technology back in 2007, five years ago, and the website of the "Focus Fusion Society" is still active since that time:

focusfusion.org...

If you go to that website regularly, you will get regular updates on this technology.

You can also visit the website of Lawrencville Plasma Physics, Eric Lerner's company based in New Jersey, that is currently building the first experimental Focus Fusion reactor:

lawrencevilleplasmaphysics.com...

They are very transparent, and give regular updates on their progress...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
If they don't get a different type of power source that's less destructive to the earth, the earth will target the power plants and big cities.
I wouldn't believe a mouse either.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I was going to post the same info about Eric Lerner. He and his team are legit, and the physics behind his method is solid. The only questions are around whether they can achieve the density required for commercially viable energy production. They have demonstrated fusion beyond any doubt.

The Tokamak and other research uses similar principles, but whether the other teams are basically trying to capture and contain inherently unstable plasma fusion reactions Lerner's team instead try to produce electricity directly from a pulsed plasma focus device.

You can watch Lerner's Google Tech Talk on the subject here:

video.google.com...

<< 1    3 >>

join