It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can an object approaching the South Pole be hidden from prying eyes

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
An object the size of a baseball made of the right material could create a big mess if it hit it the right spot and wouldn't even slow down at all as it continued on it's path through the earth and back into space. A tiny particle of this was thought to have hit the earth not long ago and created earthquakes on opposite ends of the globe as it slowly entered and exited the planet.. I like reading all of this scientific crap from the scientists.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
An object the size of a baseball made of the right material could create a big mess if it hit it the right spot and wouldn't even slow down at all as it continued on it's path through the earth and back into space. A tiny particle of this was thought to have hit the earth not long ago and created earthquakes on opposite ends of the globe as it slowly entered and exited the planet.. I like reading all of this scientific crap from the scientists.

The Earth has an iron core the size the Moon - Yet there are particles fired from distant pulsars that do go through any cosmic body but cause no harm being so minute

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Can you provide a link for this?

The densest material known is osmium. A baseball sized object of that or anything else would burn up entering the atmosphere. It would not do anything at ground level let alone make more than a dent if it impacted the surface. Small objects slow down in the atmosphere to only a few hundred miles per hour.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I can't find the link anymore. It was something about particles left over from the big bang that were still stuck together. That's what they thought caused the anomaly anyway. It had something to do with what they are trying to find at CERN. It's something to do with Higgs Boson but I can't find the name of what it is when it forms a particle like that. I looked it up by the name I found for it on a link a long time ago but can't remember the name anymore. It's dense but has no weigh-able mass. Maybe you know what it's called. I would have over fifty thousand links saved if I saved all the links to my favorites. I deleted the favorites folder many times years ago because I couldn't find anything in the disorganized mess.. Since then I keep many articles there till I reread them a second time after studying related articles to make sure I was correctly interpreting information. It was a great refresher course for me to read these articles again. Nothing really changed in the last two years in that field it seems, physics changes so slow it's boring to me.
edit on 3-4-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-4-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

The number of lay people is not important. The issue is how many people are bothering to look up.

Ever heard of a non-disclosure agreement?

Non-disclosure agreement

The number of lay people as opposed to people who have signed non-disclosure agreements is very important. If there are 4 million permanent residents in the Arctic (north pole) and there are 0 permanent residents in the Antarctic (south pole) - what does that mean? The south polers are being paid by their respective governments to look up. How many per capita non-disclosure agreements do you suppose there are among the south polers as opposed to the north polers?

Posting a hoax video was done for what purpose?

Hoax video? Says who? I was looking for pictures from the Scott-Amundsen since your op is south pole centric and that's the first one I found. Everything's a hoax before it's 'officially' disclosed.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Here...I found you some 'official' images from the SPT/South Pole Telescope - knock yourself out.

South Pole Telescope - images

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

The number of lay people as opposed to people who have signed non-disclosure agreements is very important. If there are 4 million permanent residents in the Arctic (north pole) and there are 0 permanent residents in the Antarctic (south pole) - what does that mean? The south polers are being paid by their respective governments to look up. How many per capita non-disclosure agreements do you suppose there are among the south polers as opposed to the north polers?

It's irrelevant since being at the pole is not important for viewing the objects at the celestial poles. I can see Polaris and I am no where near the Arctic.

You have no evidence that NDAs have anything to do with astronomers. The issues of NDAs is irrelevant.

Hoax video? Says who? I was looking for pictures from the Scott-Amundsen since your op is south pole centric and that's the first one I found. Everything's a hoax before it's 'officially' disclosed.

It's a hoax because it is not what is claimed. Please don't post well known hoax material.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

So you have no idea what happened, or the size of the material. You can't tell if this was ever visible.

You claim it made an impact and mention making a real mess, but there is no physical evidence of the event. There might have been a pair of quakes. Hmmm.

Doesn't sound like the event is applicable to what is being discussed here.

The issue is whether or not it is possible to approach without being seen except from the vantage point of the South Pole.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flowmaster05

Originally posted by ngchunter

i41.tinypic.com...
edit on 3-4-2012 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

Forgive me for being an astronomy noob, but on the pic on the left, what do the three purple blobs surrounding the red blob mean?

Thanks for your time

Purple is cool. Red is hot.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I think I was showed the site from a response from a Physicist that works at CERN with the collider after I made an erroneous assumption on something. I took a link from that site he provided to find why they were searching for the god particle. I found that I had known little of what they were trying to find out, it's impressive what they know. I thank the guy for setting me straight.

One Higgs Boson will not destroy the world, unless they set up a reaction to start gluing them together they won't hurt. We will probably never be able to supply the power to start that reaction. I still question the strength of the induced energy spike it creates and it's possible influence on our weather. He never commented about that but responded to another physicist with a bunch of big words after I commented saying they were initially a little concerned about some flux thing when they raised the power. I tried researching what they were talking about but the words were all things I had no knowledge about. I don't mind looking up five words in an article and reconstructing them to fit my knowledge,but a pile of them is just too much.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I don't mind looking up five words in an article and reconstructing them to fit my knowledge,but a pile of them is just too much.

I agree. It is so hard to get into an article if the background material is too massive to handle.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by luxordelphi
reply to post by ngchunter

Here...I found you some 'official' images from the SPT/South Pole Telescope - knock yourself out.

South Pole Telescope - images

Liar.

Images are pseudo-color combinations of multiband data from the Blanco Cosmology Survey

The galaxy clusters were discovered by SPT, but the images in that link you claimed were from the SPT were not from the SPT at all. The Blanco telescope is an optical telescope and a sister scope to the Mayall 4-meter telescope at Kitt Peak.
www.noao.edu...
Now answer the question, which one of these images is from SPT?
i41.tinypic.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by luxordelphi

The number of lay people is not important. The issue is how many people are bothering to look up.

Ever heard of a non-disclosure agreement?

Ever heard of an amateur astronomer?

Hoax video? Says who?

Says me. What part of SPT images not looking anything like that do you not understand (oh, right, you DO understand, but you'll gladly lie about what images from the SPT look like)? What part of the SPT is not an infrared telescope do you not understand? What part of the SPT can't image at 1.65 microns do you not understand? The SPT is a millimeter wave telescope, not an infrared telescope. That is not what SPT images look like, nor is that the part of the spectrum the SPT can see. The video is a hoax.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sailor Sam

Originally posted by stereologist
The entire 2012 thread is filled with many simple as well as complicated misunderstandings. Some of the misunderstandings deal with archaeological issues such as mixing Aztec with Mayan cultures or thinking that other cultures other than the Maya mention 2012.

Here I'd like to point out a recurring mistake concerning the South Pole. Countless threads and posts within threads suggest that it is possible to "sneak" up on the Earth by approaching directly at the South Pole.

It is unclear to me why no threads claim that the same can be done for the North Pole. Why can't an object apply the same trickery at the other end of the Earth?

Is it because there is a telescope at the South Pole and not one at the North pole?

You are obviously in the northern hemisphere and just because those of us living well south from the equator are considered to be living "down under" you assume that the south pole is the lowest part on earth and can be snuck up on from even lower areas of space.
Wrong!
I live at 37degrees south and can see the celelstial south pole every day and night when there is no cloud.
This celestial south pole is actually elevated at 37 degrees above the visible horizon, so I look UP at this celestial south pole.
You in the north cannot see it, just as I cannot see the celestial north pole, it is below the visible horizon
So far have not seen anything "sneak up" on us.
edit on 1-4-2012 by Sailor Sam because: spelling

Well its good you have our back. Keep your eyes open and post as soon as you have something to report. We'll have Sarah Palin looking out for the Russians from her porch and you watching out for Nibiru from yours. LOL. Thanks !

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

If you read that then yes you are reading crap from scientists. But no scientist wrote any such crap. A particle that went through the earth and came out the other side ????? Balderdash plain and simple.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

The particle is called a Strangelet. en.wikipedia.org... There is reference to an article here at this site that I probably read.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I believe that you are referring to a suggestion rather than an actual experiment. I don't think that a strangelet has ever been detected.

Pause her while I do a search.

The Wikipedia states the following

In May 2002, a group of researchers at Southern Methodist University reported the possibility that strangelets may have been responsible for seismic events recorded on October 22 and November 24 in 1993.[10] The authors later retracted their claim, after finding that the clock of one of the seismic stations had a large error during the relevant period.[11]

Strange matter, if it exists, would not be easily detected regardless of the approach to Earth.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Simple, there are inhabited lands not so far from the north pole. But no one lives within 10,000+ miles of the south pole. If you do make the journey to antarctica, i doubt you would think about looking at the sky with a telescope there. So a somewhat plausible theory from a certain standpoint
edit on 4-4-2012 by OGOldGreg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OGOldGreg

Simple, there are inhabited lands not so far from the north pole. But no one lives within 10,000+ miles of the south pole. If you do make the journey to antarctica, i doubt you would think about looking at the sky with a telescope there. So a somewhat plausible theory from a certain standpoint

You've got your distances off a bit. It is only 12,000 miles from the equator to the South Pole. Bolivia, Argentia, and Chile are all within 10K of the South Pole as is most of the southern part of Africa and Australia and lots of other places.

If you travel to Antarctica you probably travel there in summer which means that the Sun never sets so you don't want to bring an astronomical tool.

Take a look earlier in the thread where I posted a picture showing how anyone in the southern hemisphere can peer int he direction of the South celestial pole.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

This is part of an article from the link listed below it. I don't know how to get it in those weird boxes.

"According to the strange matter hypothesis, when strangelets forms contact with nuclei (neutrons and protons), strangelets will catalyze the conversion of the nuclei into strangelets! And then the cycle will continue as the strangelet mass encounters more nuclei and converts them to strangelets too. Therefore, if a single strangelet particle was produced on or found its way to Earth, that single particle will quickly change all matter on Earth to a giant mass of strangelets. And nothing can stop it."
theatom.hubpages.com...

This explains what's happening in the world, one Strangelet appeared and is turning everyone else in the world into the strangest people some of who are starting to post here.
Hope I wasn't the original strangelet

edit on 4-4-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join