It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of orangutans killed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

The last Orang-Utans get killed

www.orangutans-sos.org

The Sumatran orangutan has been classified as Critically Endangered by the IUCN, the World Conservation Union. The latest data estimates that there are now only around 6,600 remaining in the wild. Orangutans were historically found in forests across Sumatra but are now restricted to just two provinces: North Sumatra and Aceh. There are less than 900,000 hectares of orangutan habitat left on the island. Experts suggest that they could be the first Great Ape species to become extinct in the wild. The greatest threats to their survival are habitat loss and the illegal pet trade.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

www.orangutans-sos.org
en.wikipedia.org

www.independent.co.uk

daily mail

www.norway.or.id...
edit on 30-3-2012 by Human0815 because: try to fix that link but i cant!

edit on Fri Mar 30 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: title change to reflect a source title

edit on Fri Mar 30 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Since a few Weeks a Subsidiary from Jardine Matheson Holdings called PT Astra Agro Lestari is burning the last Refuge of the last wild Orang-Utans in Aceh/ Tripa in Indonesia!

They are cleaning the Forest for Palm Oil Plantations,
the Fires killed a few hundred of ca. 6.600 wild living Wood-People!

There is a Moratorium between Indonesia and Norway,
the Europeans paid big Money to stop the Deforestation
but Indonesia is a very corrupt Country and they will not stop the Fires,
the last Wild Wood-People will die in the next Month and our
Planet become even more poor!
www.norway.or.id...

[solicitation removed]

Arigato Gozaimasu!

www.orangutans-sos.org

The Tripa peatswamp in Aceh is ablaze – despite the moratorium

Dozens of fires are blazing in a peatswamp in Aceh, in the north of Sumatra, Indonesia. Some of the hotspots are in a concession area belonging to a company called PT Kallista Alam. According to WALHI, the concession is in breach of Indonesia’s two-year moratorium.

The concession is subject to an on-going court case. The forest is an important habitat for the critically endangered Sumatran Orangutan. Nevertheless, the destruction of the Tripa peatswamp forests has been taking place for several years. In June 2009, the Independentspoke to Riswan Zein, of Yayasan Ekosistem Lestari, an Indonesian conservation group.

Riswan flew over the Tripa forest in 2007. “So much forest gone, and all in two years, my God,” he told the Independent. “If nothing is done, there’ll be no forest left in one to two years.” A few years ago PanEco, made a film that highlights the destruction of the Tripa peatswamp.

According to PanEco’s website, since the film was made, PT Astra Agro Lestari, a subsidiary of the British conglomerate Jardines Matheson Ltd, has stopped clearing forest in the Tripa peatswamp. But a recent press release from YEL states that PT Astra Agro Lestari is behind some of the current fires in the Tripa peatswamp.

climate-connections.org...
edit on 30-3-2012 by Human0815 because: more info!

edit on Fri Mar 30 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because:

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

edit on Fri Mar 30 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I saw a video of an Orangutang that was being treated in a vet house for trauma I think. I just felt so sad when I saw it, It looked so harmless and patient. They were cutting down their forest and not a little piece of it. And then they released the Orangutang in to the shaved forest, It was trying to find a tree to climb on but couldn't find it. And I don't know what happened to it

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815

www.orangutans-sos.org

The Sumatran orangutan has been classified as Critically Endangered by the IUCN, the World Conservation Union. The latest data estimates that there are now only around 6,600 remaining in the wild. Orangutans were historically found in forests across Sumatra but are now restricted to just two provinces: North Sumatra and Aceh. There are less than 900,000 hectares of orangutan habitat left on the island. Experts suggest that they could be the first Great Ape species to become extinct in the wild. The greatest threats to their survival are habitat loss and the illegal pet trade.

Related News Links:
www.orangutans-sos.org
en.wikipedia.org
www.independent.co.uk[/u rl]
[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2122544/Hundreds-orangutans-killed-north-Indonesian-forest-fires-deliberately-started-palm-oil-firms.ht ml?ito=feeds-newsxml]www.dailymail.co.uk

that sucks, love them orange relatives. i will say they wont be the last great ape to face exticntion, given the amount of radiation circulating world wide from fukushima, leakage and the amount of DU spread by the military worldwide, i mean 370 tons (as per Dr Doug Rokke)of DU was used in Iraqi freedom alone.
edit on 30-3-2012 by LittleBlackEagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I'm curious on something. The UN and Global Community is very busy these days running around and telling every other nation how to run their own internal affairs or...face removal from office and likely execution at the hands of International Forces. All this, usually, over money or expendable resources.

Where are all those people and why can't they be bothered to so much as raise a voice in serious anger about the raping and obliteration of our Environment? Not global warming or all that vague concept stuff...but THIS. Generations that haven't even been born yet will cry over the loss of what goes up in smoke and we're all too busy rooting for the death of Assad or the spectacle of Gadaffi being murdered in the street to even notice...the IMPORTANT stuff is burning right before our very eyes and we scream over trivia and the fates of mortal men.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Please have a look who is behind of this Fires and the Genocide of the Wood-People:

Jardine Matheson Holdings

Jardine Matheson Holdings Limited (SGX: J36, LSE: JAR) often referred to as Jardines, is a multinational corporation incorporated in Bermuda and based in Hong Kong. While listed on the London Stock Exchange and the Singapore Exchange, the vast majority of Jardines shares are traded in Singapore.[1][2] One of the original Hong Kong trading houses or Hongs, as of December 2010, 41% of the company's profits were still earned in China.[3] With roots that can be traced back to the opium trade, today, Jardines is a Fortune Global 500 company[4] that consists of Jardine Pacific, Jardine Motors Group, Jardine Strategic, Dairy Farm, Hongkong Land, Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group, Jardine Cycle & Carriage and Astra International.[5][6][7] It also owns 42% of Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group and has an investment (21%) in Rothschilds Continuation Holdings, the merchant banking house.[3]
---
The firm of Jardine, Matheson and Co. began in Canton, China on 1 July 1832 by Scottish doctor William Jardine and Edinburgh University graduate James Matheson.[8] With the cessation of Hong Kong under the 1842 Treaty of Nanking, the firm set up its headquarters on the island and grew rapidly. Initially trading in opium, tea and cotton, Jardines soon diversified into other areas including insurance, shipping and railways. By the turn of the 19th century, the company had become the largest of the ‘’hongs’’ or foreign trading conglomerates with offices in all the important Chinese cities as well as Yokohama, Japan.[9][10]

In the early decades of the 20th century, Jardines built cotton mills, a press packing plant and a brewery in Shanghai while expanding into Africa, America and Australia. When war came to China in 1937, the firm suffered heavily both in Hong Kong and in mainland China.

After the 1949 foundation of the People’s Republic of China, trading conditions for foreign companies under the new Communist regime became increasingly difficult.[11]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Stop Biofuelling Deforestation: How your fuel bills are subsidising deforestation - and what you can do about it!

Demand for agricultural land is at the heart of the mass destruction of the world's forests. The main cause of forest loss in Indonesia, and the greatest threat to the continued survival of orangutans in the wild, is the conversion of forests to oil palm plantations.

Orangutans share their forest home with countless other critically endangered species, including Sumatran tigers, elephants, and rhinos. Agricultural expansion is also linked to other causes of biodiversity decline including hunting, poaching, human-wildlife conflict, illegal logging, and forest fires. Tropical forests are also crucial carbon sinks, so losing these habitats would be catastrophic in terms of the global fight to prevent dangerous climate change.

Yet, shockingly, the UK government is considering offering subsidies to power stations to burn biofuels - including palm oil - for heat and power. And what's more, this is being funded through our fuel bills! These subsidies, called Renewable Obligation Certificates (ROCs) are the government's way of supporting renewable energy technologies, as part of plans to reduce the country's greenhouse gas emissions. Nobody would deny that we need more investment in renewables, but, as well as supporting clean technologies such as wind farms, ROCs also finance electricity generation from the burning of bioliquids such as palm oil.

On top of the threat that this increase in demand for fuel crops poses to tropical forests and biodiversity, some biofuels have been shown to actually lead to an increase in greenhouse gas emissions!

www.orangutans-sos.org...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Man i just can't believe that the msn would rather fill the airtime about stupid political issues then just spend 5 min reporting this.

If they did decide to report on this it would bring so much attention and i think outrage that its going on. They could actually do something good :/

if i win that $500 mill these guys would have a home, its on the list

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Norway-Indonesia REDD+ Partnership - Frequently asked questions

Since the new partnership on reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation between Norway and Indonesia was signed last Thursday, the Royal Norwegian Embassy has received a number of questions on how the partnership will work and why Norway chose to work with Indonesia. Read the answer to these and many other questions in our new FAQ sheet below.

www.norway.or.id...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815

www.orangutans-sos.org

Related News Links:

www.orangutans-sos.org
en.wikipedia.org

www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/up-in-smoke-ecological-catastrophe-in-the-sumatran-swamps-7600987.html]www.independent.co.uk

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2122544/Hundreds-orangutans-killed-north-Indonesian-forest-fires-deliberately-started-palm-oil-firms.html?ito=fe eds-newsxml

www.norway.or.id...
edit on 30-3-2012 by Human0815 because: try to fix that link but i cant!

It is sad to say but modern humans seem to have it in for other humans, other hominids, and other apes. Disgusting!

There is enough room on the planet for everyone to live on, and yet the greed of the many outweighs any consideration. Note that I said the greed of the many, not just of the 1%. Scapegoating even an obviously guilty group of people will not solve this problem.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Where are all those people and why can't they be bothered to so much as raise a voice in serious anger about the raping and obliteration of our Environment? Not global warming or all that vague concept stuff...but THIS. Generations that haven't even been born yet will cry over the loss of what goes up in smoke and we're all too busy rooting for the death of Assad or the spectacle of Gadaffi being murdered in the street to even notice...the IMPORTANT stuff is burning right before our very eyes and we scream over trivia and the fates of mortal men.

It is easy, look since F'Shima happened my Head for example
is total occupied by this Topic, 24/7 Fukushima,
but a few Days ago i waked up again after reading an Article
about the last "wild" Tribes of Brazil
who got evicted from their Homeland for a Water-Dam

Please have a read too: amazonwatch.org...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I suppose progress and profit trumps everything, and that would include the Orangutan's environment? It is sad but it is not anything new. As the OP pointed out the Brazilian Amazon has been gutted by deforestation for years and as a result many native tribes, rare plants, and animals have been severely affected or wiped out all together. We have got to develop ideas that are fair and equitable for all involved. No species of wildlife, plant life, or indigenous people should be displaced or wiped out for the sake of padding someone's bottom line.

I am all for government getting revenue through taxes from business ventures like the one described in the article, and for the local people to get jobs from it. However, we have to meet in the middle on it as well. You know something fair and equitable for all. I know I sound like a idealist with that last remark. What is the harm in deliberating a little longer on how to effectively utilize the land for commerce and to ensure a viable habitat is secured for Orangutan and other animals being affected by the deforestation? The land and the resources is not going go anywhere. Just my opinion. Great thread OP, and keep up the good work on the Fukushima mega thread. I am a frequent reader.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I'm ready to get flamed.

I understand the urgency, but just where does it say that "

"?

IOW, I find the OP title misleading.
edit on 30-3-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It seems a lot of threads on here come down to one thing 'money and greed'.

The attitude of I need more material items to improve my own life seems to be loosing what we should value and cherish the most.
Love and compassion costs nothing. Without that we'd all be miserable little blighter's no matter how many possessions we own.
edit on 30-3-2012 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
... and then people still can't understand why I hate capitalism???

in my mind capitalism leads to greed. Greed leads to destruction of everything just to become richer and having more status.

capitalism is the root of all evil.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish

oops, sorry mods, I fed a troll today.

It was quite offensive to be fair
edit on 30-3-2012 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
thread title stated the extinction of a species, no facts, a total lie, should that not close the thread?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by charlie77

No it is not a lie. Heck, less that 6600 surviving??????? The smaller the gene pool gets, the more perilous the situation becomes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join