It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

did anyone ever debunk the mothman pic

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Isnt that the same bridge from the "Mothman Prophecies" movie?
Looks very similar....maybe a clip from the movie?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
the true Mothman stories are from 1966/1967.
On December 15th, 1967 the bridge that crossed the Ohio river to Point Pleasant, VA collapsed.
46 people died.
Locals believed the 'mothman' was trying to warn them of the impending doom.

Unfortunately, the movie 'the mothman prophecies' really had nothing to do with the real story.

Many of the stories of the Mothman centered on a former TNT plant that sat empty and abandoned on the edge of town. The building sat in the middle of a wooded area, where few people tended to venture. Nearby was an animal preserve, and some believed the Mothman could find food there and blend in with the other animals in the area. There were also stories that the creature had hid there for years before finally being seen.

Personally I believe the Mothman was a government experiment gone wrong. I seriously doubt it is still alive today. But who am I to say?....

BUT I will say in 2002 my husband and I took a 4 day boat trip up and back down the Ohio river. One night we 'parked/camped' in a small creek that went around a small island. at that time we did not have gps, just a good old fashioned paper map. So we kind of knew where we were, we thought.
It was a full moon that night (seriously, we planned it that way) and we both commented on how wierdly quiet it was that night. there was no sign of life on the little island, not even coon or deer tracks. We heard no noises at all in the night, no birds, no owls, no frogs, nothing. Very odd for October in Ohio/West Virginia.
the next day we went upriver some more and realized we had spent that night near point pleasant. It was just odd. Maybe the mothman is still around? eating all the wildlife ?

the real mothman story

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Dharma Employee

S+F...This is one of the cornerstones of cryptozoological creatures...

Many of the 46 people who were killed when the point pleasant bridge collapsed back in december 15th 1967, were the same people who saw mothman!

Did mothman come from another dimension to warn them?

Did mothman telepathically compel them all to drive across the bridge so he could simultaneously silence them? < Wow!

Was mothman a multiple person psychic premonition,a thought form projection revealed in the shape and form of mothman?

Or did mothman come from deep underground?

Mothmen > www.mothmen.us... www.chasingthefrog.com...
edit on 26-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Originally posted by Neysa
Looks like a guy in a wingsuit, to me.

Not possible unless he had a death wish and wanted to take a really expensive dive suit with him. Have to have a LOT more altitude than that bridge to glide those suits.

Pics look real enough but I would be really hard pressed to believe that an experienced diver would do this from a bridge this low....that's asking for death.

I completely disagree....That bridge is not that high. Hell, I've dove off of things close to that height before. It might be a little crazy, but someone learning to use one of those suits could easily have decided to try it from the bridge to get the feel of it. I don't see it as a death wish...just big balls.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Originally posted by Neysa
Looks like a guy in a wingsuit, to me.

Not possible unless he had a death wish and wanted to take a really expensive dive suit with him. Have to have a LOT more altitude than that bridge to glide those suits.

Pics look real enough but I would be really hard pressed to believe that an experienced diver would do this from a bridge this low....that's asking for death.

I completely disagree....That bridge is not that high. Hell, I've dove off of things close to that height before. It might be a little crazy, but someone learning to use one of those suits could easily have decided to try it from the bridge to get the feel of it. I don't see it as a death wish...just big balls.

we all would love to see a video of you jumping off something this high. actually no i dont want to see that because you could break your neck or kill yourself.

i like freaky pics so i had to check out this thread and ill say i dont kno what it is. if a person was actually going to climb this bridge and jump off it, surely there are more pics, closer up out there.

u dont do something this crazy and have your friend take two crappy pictures of it, would someone be that far away from the bridge if they jumped?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The Mothman Death list/The Mothman Curse > www.lorencoleman.com...

The Legend Of Mothman > www.qsl.net...

Mothman Sightings > www.unknownexplorers.com...
edit on 26-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

www.historicbridges.org...
I can't find the overall height of the bridge, but the navigational clearance of the bridge is 73.2 Feet (22.3 Meters), so I'm guessing that bridge is about 125 feet or so to the very top. I've climbed about 40 feet up a tree that sat on top of a 65 foot cliff and dove out head first, so yeah....I'd do it....but I'm stupid like that sometimes.

Edit: Let me rephrase this.....the me before I became a father would do it in a second. I wouldn't do it now.
edit on 26-3-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dharma Employee

thanks for this i love these type of sightings and have never seen these pictures before. they look like they are stills from a video does anyone know if the original video still exists (if indeed it is a video)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
looks like a bird to me. it's an egret about 50 feet from the camera initially. it's diving down from left to right on a 45 degree angle with it's wings up behind it. In the second shot it turns and flies away from the camera going back to the left. Would make a lot of sense to me. it's the right color. the right shape and it's near a body of water which is what egrets do. they are great dive bombers and swim better than penguins. Sorta adds up.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

Take a look at the photos in these links and see if you still think its a bird >

s6.zetaboards.com...

tech.dir.groups.yahoo.com...
edit on 27-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

oo err got some dodgey pop ups on that first link good job the wife is in th kitchen!!

seriously thanks the second link provided very good enhancements no way is that a bird but could it be cgi?
edit on 27-3-2012 by dashdespatch because: typo

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Its not a Mothman but a Pterodactyle

The "bird" was big....about as long as my wind shield (beak to tail)....it had big wings, but was not flapping them.....it was more of a coast by my windshield. Very Close to my car!!!! The "bird" had no feathers...the skin looked like a bat kinda looks with bones and skin. It was a blueish/green color. Kinda like a dark aqua/tealish color. I would think that im losing my mind, except my 10 year old daughter was in my back seat, and she saw it too. I said to her "did you see that giant bird?" and her reply was "Birds have feathers that was a reptile".

From the Op of that thread :
I swear I saw a Pterodactyl

you can see the spikes on the top of that thing before he flies aways (wings elbows)
the moth man in the picture flew aways the same way a pterodactyle would do

but then ..a pterodactyle ?? come on

flying dragon anyone ?
and we found its baby lol --> Real Dragon Found!

the mother size is like ... well imagine a flying raptor
could flying reptile exist ?? not big and not small
the size of the mothman

I think this thing is a flying reptile
that hide in the caves nearby or even sewers near a bridge
edit on 3/27/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
still looks like a bird and some joists of the bridge mixing together. the legs are the girders of the bridge in the first link the darker top half is a egret or something similar. the second link ha a good point in showing how much of what is thought to be the mothman is actually part of the bridge and can be seen elsewhere in the photo as normal parts of the bridge.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I have to interject really quickly on the "wing-suit" theory:

While wing-suits have been around for 80-some years, the kind of suit you're showcasing here really didn't exist prior to the early 70's, which would be a few years after the bridge collapsed.

Also, the modern wing-suits wouldn't even be efficient enough to make that height a safe jump.

edit on 27-3-2012 by thewesticle because: spelling

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
How about this?
Mothman

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by adnachiel21
How about this?
Mothman

im not a good debunker but that video screamed staged from the first second.

cool find though!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dharma Employee
I guess, someone debunked it ?

Has anyone shown it to be a genuine photo?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I don't really see that much of a difference, except that it sticks out to the side. 3 mothmen?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by WingedBull

true, yes, my phrasing was dodgy, the pic was never proven to be genuine in the first place,

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ConfusedPeasant

thanks, well I saw the richard gere movie, which I found a rather mixed affair and will certainly see if I can find any of the others

a SY FY movie, was made, mmm, is that not pretty naff normally when they do that kinda thing ?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join