It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colour footage of U.S. soldiers advance on ground zero during A-bomb test.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I had come across this footage a while back now.
It was buried in my folder of links until I found it again.
It looks to be from the 50's to me.
I have read stories and watched documentaries about this sort of thing,
but I have'nt seen footage like this before...wow
Thought I'd share it with all of you, could you imagine doing this?
Share your thoughts ATS

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Yea I saw this or at least part of this on a history show one day. Pretty wicked stuff and astounding that the soldiers are so close to the blast radius that you would think their faces would be burned or messed up from radiation.
edit on 3/24/2012 by CommandoRenegade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

They were used as guinea pigs. I wouldn't be surprised if some soldiers today are still unknowingly being used as guinea pigs for testing the effects of new technology on the human body. They're trained to follow orders even when they don't realize they are being used as experimental rats. They end up paying for it in the long run with neurological diseases and cancer caused by radiation and toxic chemicals.

Recent soldiers have had a list of ailments caused by radiation (Gulf War Syndrome), and toxic chemicals like agent orange and vaccines. I'm waiting to see if that microwave crowd control technology ends up causing cancer or triggers diseases on soldiers later in life who were subject to trial testing.

What's sad is the government will deny any wrong doing, and abandon the soldiers who end-up struggling with ailments caused by these new military technologies.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
So awful . . . one of my late Professors, Dr. Leonard 'Red' Bird, wrote a memoir entitled, 'Folding Paper Cranes,' wherein he discusses having to do just this as per a U.S. Marine exercise.

" Between 1951 and 1962 the Atomic Energy Commission triggered some one hundred atmospheric detonations of nuclear weapons at the Nevada Test Site. U.S. military troops who participated in these tests were exposed to high doses of radiation. Among them was a young Marine named Leonard Bird. In Folding Paper Cranes Bird juxtaposes his devastating experience of those atomic exercises with three visits over his lifetime—one in the 1950s before his Nevada assignment, one in 1981, and one in the early 1990s—to the International Park for World Peace in Hiroshima."

It is a really good read: www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332644767&sr=8-1

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
SnF for the soundtrack to the vid.

I like to watch these old videos.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

agreed on the soundtrack dime bag would have loved this video laid to Pantera soundtrack may he rest in peace

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons

Recent soldiers have had a list of ailments caused by radiation (Gulf War Syndrome), and toxic chemicals like agent orange and vaccines.

Gulf War Illness (not syndrome anymore) is caused by the vaccines not radiation. Yes we were used as guinea pigs for untested vaccines.

I have been diagnosed with GWI, and was nowhere near any depleted uranium, I was on a ship.

That's not to say though that some troops are getting cancer due to DU.

Cool vid BTW OP.

edit on 3/24/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
A teacher of mine at university was in the military and told us how his company was put 1/4 mile from ground zero in an 8 foot deep trench (which they dug) and a bomb was exploded.
He often laughed about being that close to the bomb and not being killed...
Mr. Bradford died of cancer two years after I graduated.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

There were many atmospheric tests, but I believe the footage you are looking at was not atomic. There were a series of very large high explosive tests which were used to help to develop a classification level of the distructive infact of a 1 kilotonton TNT explosion. Notice the lack of the telltale Army radiation exposure gear employed in those days, and the blast although enormous lacks many characteristics of atomic explosions.

AX
FTNWO

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Sorry to here about your illness mate
Has Gulf War Illness been acknowleged by your government?
Have you and others been compensated in any form?
I'm just wondering if there is a level of denial from the Authorities that all.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
did anyone note the radiation flashes on the camera did they think it was cool to be in the hot zone ??

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AlphaExray

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm far from being an expert on a-bombs

But now you mention it, the mushroom cloud does look small to me.

However at the 2.55 mark they all seam to be wearing the same coveralls.
One of them looks to be taping up the bottom of his pant leg.
In Australia the British government conducted a series of A-bomb tests.
Australian and British troops then advanced to ground zero unprotected alot like this vid.

edit on 24-3-2012 by LeLeu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
There were a series of tests in 1952 called operation Tumbler-Snapper
Various sizes were tested from 1 kiloton upto 31 kilotons.
nuclearweaponarchive.org...

Hiroshima was 15 kiloton.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

Troops were present at most of the atmospheric tests. They needed them to document the fallout. Most of them died horrific deaths soon after. Science was very cavalier in those days. Some were made to swallow pieces of camera film with a piece of rope attached so it could be retrived after blast exposure. The TNT tests were part of the Sandia labs experiments, and were necessary for understanding large explosions, but allowed the soldiers to get more accurate documentation without suffering from exposure. It is one thing to be able the calculate the amount of force a blast creates, but without a litteral damage scale, those numbers are meaningless. BTW I'm certain about that piece of film, know it quite well.

AX
FTNWO

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AlphaExray

wow that's some crazy stuff.

It really #s me what governments do to people with disregards to anything.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
PanterA

Too bad these loyal soldiers wont get a fair go when they try for compensation.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies
PanterA

Too bad these loyal soldiers wont get a fair go when they try for compensation.

Try to go for compensation? What? You aware this was testing done many, many years ago, right? I'm sure they are past the point of "compensation".

edit on 25-3-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeLeu
reply to post by ANOK

Sorry to here about your illness mate
Has Gulf War Illness been acknowleged by your government?
Have you and others been compensated in any form?
I'm just wondering if there is a level of denial from the Authorities that all.

Thanks mate. Yes, in fact they just released a new directive that promises better care and services for Gulf War Vets. They are compensating vets if the VA decides you have GWI, but it has taken a long time with them telling you its all in your head. Its taken me over ten years fighting the VA.

They have admitted to the illness, but they have not admitted to a cause. I know its the vaccines simply from logical deduction, where I served, that I was one of the many who's full service medical records 'disappeared' etc.

www.publichealth.va.gov...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCurmudgeon
A teacher of mine at university was in the military and told us how his company was put 1/4 mile from ground zero in an 8 foot deep trench (which they dug) and a bomb was exploded.
He often laughed about being that close to the bomb and not being killed...
Mr. Bradford died of cancer two years after I graduated.

They still do that, maybe not a huge bomb a 1/4 mile away, but they put troops in a trench and set of a charge so they get to experience the blast.

Just like they whacked us on the shins with a night stick during night stick training, you know, so you would know that it hurts
I think military leaders all just sadists.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
My dad coulda been in that film. Looks exactly like the way he described it. He aged quickly, and other things happened I do not want to go into. Died fairly young, 65.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join